Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track whores with MRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
Track ****** with MRs?

Any track ****** on here (meaning do track events almost once a month or more) run the 6spd?

I am curious if anyone has killed one yet and how and what gear.

I killed 4th gear at thunderhill today, 10 laps into the day . No idea how or why but it let go. Makes nasty nasty nasty noises now in 4th gear. I had to tow the car home. I'll be calling TRE and Shep tomorrow and getting some info.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I do, but I may not have done enough sustained track time (e.g. more than 20 mins full speed) to cause a problem. I've seen Works talk about their woes with the 6spd tranny and how it has cooling deficiencies due to less fluid in the case, but I haven't seen anyone else comment on this from road racing their MR.

As a precautionary measure, though, my sponsor VIP Garage is making me a special trans cooler that I plan to use. They already made one and installed it on a 5spd Evo IX running SCCA-T2 nationally _after_ he started having trouble with 5th gear and had Shep upgrade his tranny.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

As a precautionary measure, though, my sponsor VIP Garage is making me a special trans cooler that I plan to use. They already made one and installed it on a 5spd Evo IX running SCCA-T2 nationally _after_ he started having trouble with 5th gear and had Shep upgrade his tranny.
Is it going to have a pump and everything?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yes.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i go to the track 2 to 4 times a month and have done over 30 runs and its fine. but i only have 4k miles on the car
Old Jul 7, 2006, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Any track ****** on here (meaning do track events almost once a month or more) run the 6spd?

I am curious if anyone has killed one yet and how and what gear.

I killed 4th gear at thunderhill today, 10 laps into the day . No idea how or why but it let go. Makes nasty nasty nasty noises now in 4th gear. I had to tow the car home. I'll be calling TRE and Shep tomorrow and getting some info.
this is why i trailer the car to events.

I've put what, 9 events on the evo in about 16 months. No tranny issues yet, but i know when they arrive, the syncros are gonna need replaced from my earlier lack of heel/toe.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

i know the auto supra's use a tranny cooler, that would be nice to get one for the evo too!!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
i know the auto supra's use a tranny cooler, that would be nice to get one for the evo too!!
It's not unusual for an AT to use an oil cooler.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

on the topic of trans temps...i spoke to jon at TRE about this and he told me that the evo trans temps do not stabilize (when racing/HPDEs) and continue to climb the longer you run the car. he advised me to run no longer than a 30 min session without a cool off. I'm also running a 50/50 mix of redline MTL/MT90 as the mt90 provides better protection at high temps, and the possible expense of some shifting smoothness. anyway, a trans cooler sounds like a good idea
Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

i also know a person who tracks his car and blew his 4th gear driving normal in his MR.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

When I get the trans cooler installed, I'll do my typical write-up with pics and such. If it works/helps, you guys can think about ordering one. Obviously, this one will be tough to provide empricial evidence on, though.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Would a tranny fluid temp gauge be helpful?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I know a guy who ran a 6 speed MR in SCCA T2 who is planning on, or may have already gone to, a 5 speed because of reliability issues.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

No problems whatsoever. I change the tranny fluid after every event (as well as transfer case, rear LSD and engine oil). I've driven the car to every event and not so much as a hiccup. Car just broke 10K Miles. Most of this has been track use.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
When I get the trans cooler installed, I'll do my typical write-up with pics and such. If it works/helps, you guys can think about ordering one. Obviously, this one will be tough to provide empricial evidence on, though.
that'd be good, any thoughts of putting a gauge to meter temp while doing it? just to see what kinda temps we're talking.

Quick Reply: Track whores with MRs?