Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo in Speed World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john@rre
This is the path my team has been on for the past calendar year, and it still is an ongoing process, with the focus on increasing our speed without compromising reliability. We have lowered the lap records for club racing almost every time we have unloaded our car this season, and we are currently retooling parts of our package in our quest for more speed. It is possible to run the Laguna World Challenge race, but we will only do so if our homolgated car has the speed to run midpack or better, as it does nothing for our sponsors having the car sit on the last row of the grid, as the Subaru and Skyline did at the LBGP. Stay tuned.
Laguna 06? Laguna 07?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Laguna 06? Laguna 07?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

This is the path my team has been on for the past calendar year, and it still is an ongoing process, with the focus on increasing our speed without compromising reliability. We have lowered the lap records for club racing almost every time we have unloaded our car this season, and we are currently retooling parts of our package in our quest for more speed. It is possible to run the Laguna World Challenge race, but we will only do so if our homolgated car has the speed to run midpack or better, as it does nothing for our sponsors having the car sit on the last row of the grid, as the Subaru and Skyline did at the LBGP. Stay tuned.
Good for you guys John, just as you said don't get temped to run if you're not ready (uh like us in the Volvo), much better off testing off the radar till you're ready (hopefully with a couple of aces up you sleeve ).
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

wish you guys all the best buddy
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Ok, and if we get members to donate.. what do we do, have a poll for the drivers?

I can see it now, a sticky for a PayPal account and a sticky poll for drivers..

Paul, Mark D, me, Leh, Cory, Robi, Mueller, Chad Block.. etc..

Or maybe we just have a run-off for the seats in a Stock MR at the next Evo Tuner Shootout.

Jon K (yes half kidding.. but only half.)
I'm there!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

As mentioned allready, An evo would have a very tough time in WC unless BIG $$$$$$ were spent on development. I know what the specs of the GT3's both 996 and 997 are for WC and to build an evo that could hang with those cars would be quite a challenge. The evo's weight (both total and front to rear balance) would hurt it. Getting an evo under 3000 with driver would be tough. Also the evo is a big car realtive to others with huge drag so pushing it through the wind to hang with other WC cars down the straights would also be difficult.

just a ballpark lap time comparison:

Jon in the AMS evo ran a 1.44 at CMP
I (and Leh) have run high 1.37's at CMP in a stock older model gt3cup

I would say our times would be very close to a WC car on toyo's (I was on dunlop slicks)since our car was stock and NOT even close to WC spec so 6+seconds would be hard to make up considering how modified the AMS car is now. It is definately possible but a BIG challenge.

I would love for an evo to be out there mixing it up! Maybe I can talk Greg at GSC inot running a few southeast races.........
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by rsr14
As mentioned allready, An evo would have a very tough time in WC unless BIG $$$$$$ were spent on development. I know what the specs of the GT3's both 996 and 997 are for WC and to build an evo that could hang with those cars would be quite a challenge. The evo's weight (both total and front to rear balance) would hurt it. Getting an evo under 3000 with driver would be tough. Also the evo is a big car realtive to others with huge drag so pushing it through the wind to hang with other WC cars down the straights would also be difficult.

just a ballpark lap time comparison:

Jon in the AMS evo ran a 1.44 at CMP
I (and Leh) have run high 1.37's at CMP in a stock older model gt3cup

I would say our times would be very close to a WC car on toyo's (I was on dunlop slicks)since our car was stock and NOT even close to WC spec so 6+seconds would be hard to make up considering how modified the AMS car is now. It is definately possible but a BIG challenge.

I would love for an evo to be out there mixing it up! Maybe I can talk Greg at GSC inot running a few southeast races.........

Cory,

What do you think your laptimes would be at CMP in a cup car on RA-1's? Recently time attack organizations are using tire grip levels rather than HP #'s to classify cars and I feel its a good judge of speed. My point is, dont you think the Evo would benefit more on RA-1's than a porsche or vette/viper? I agree alot of time / $$$ need to go into it, but I think its possible.

Maybe a better way to do it is compare the Mullerized evo's laptimes from Laguna to Leh's Rolex times. Would you say the grip gained by the hoosier slicks would offset the +50hp SWC motor?

-Kyle

Last edited by kingkyle; Jul 28, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all it takes is money,

the reality of all races..... you just need do it on someone elses budget (sponsors) and not ur own hee he..

i think it would be fantastic to see an evo is WC, but there is ALOT of development to be competitive....

Cadillac's program was 9 million from what i heard

cb
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

9 million spent = First place in last years series both driver and manufacturer.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by althemean
9 million spent = First place in last years series both driver and manufacturer.
With drivers, Max Pappis, Max Angelelli, Ron Fellows, Andy Pilgrim, Johnny O'Connel - they weren't going to lose

Audi/Champion had the deep pockets in that series before - thus a few championships
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by althemean
The 9 mil number was the full testing year they did before ever debuting the car at Sebring 2004

It can be done for less if you know how to squeeze a dollar, you spend 9 million when you can afford to in WC, you don't have to to be competitive.

The Cup cars on slicks are often faster that the WC spec cars, if it's a handling track they are always quicker, Michelin slicks are several seconds quicker then RA-1s which usually easily offsets the HP and that's with amateur drivers (cup series) vs. the pros in WC GT. We often run on the same weekend.

I have told the tail of my evo out on the track with Tommy Archer last year, we actually ran together a few times during the day, he was definitely quicker, he ran 1:10.0s and I ran 1:13.7s, his car was better everywhere except out of the slow hairpin. My car did weigh quite a bit more and @ 300whp so I have no trouble believing we would be right there with 200 more hp, 305s instead of 255s and 500lbs less weight (assuming the evo would be 500whp and 3000lbs) we could be competitive.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Just build a car, pick a track and test endlessly at it. When the series comes around, enter, and try to snipe a podium. Then the money will come. Look at Roger Foo at Laguna way back when, or Mumford there as well, they didn't care about season points, they just showed up with tons of hours an a perfect setup, shoestring budgets be damned.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
Cory,

What do you think your laptimes would be at CMP in a cup car on RA-1's? Recently time attack organizations are using tire grip levels rather than HP #'s to classify cars and I feel its a good judge of speed. My point is, dont you think the Evo would benefit more on RA-1's than a porsche or vette/viper? I agree alot of time / $$$ need to go into it, but I think its possible.

Maybe a better way to do it is compare the Mullerized evo's laptimes from Laguna to Leh's Rolex times. Would you say the grip gained by the hoosier slicks would offset the +50hp SWC motor?

-Kyle
Like Chrono said, the slicks on a stock cup car allmost balance out the upgrades allowed in WC. I would say a WC car would be very close to our times at cmp on slicks, but considering we ran those times in an older car, the newer 997's would be a second or so faster I'm sure.

The grand-am slicks are not "real" slicks. They are harder in compound than even hoosier R6's. When Wolf drove with Me and Leh last year at the Glen he said he thought the RA1's might have had more grip than the hoosiers. Also the grand-am gt3's are not stock, they allow allot of suspension, exhaust and aerodynamic changes that make them faster.

I think an evo could be competetive with an unlimited set of rules and a huge budget with a pro team developing the car. We know wc will not let someone build an evo to crazy numbers and currently there are no "pro" level teams doing any testing to see what type of an evo it would take to be competetive. After theses time attack cars that are startin to pop up get some track time under their belts maybe then we will see what a WC spec evo would need to be.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Just build a car, pick a track and test endlessly at it. When the series comes around, enter, and try to snipe a podium. Then the money will come. Look at Roger Foo at Laguna way back when, or Mumford there as well, they didn't care about season points, they just showed up with tons of hours an a perfect setup, shoestring budgets be damned.

Mumford was a freak of nature.....the driver does matter, and if he were still alive, he would be driving at the very highest levels of sportscar racing....and there is a big difference between developing a viper and an evo. there was not the built-in resistence from the sanctioning bodies that the imports have to overcome. I have no doubt that John M. and company could produce a competitive car by Laguna IF THEY ARE ALLOWED. And by the way, it is a professional team in every sense of the word. Not a factory team, but certainly a professional one. what would it look like to WC if an Evo from an Unknown team shows up and places in the top 5? It's not going to be allowed yet, and I think it might be a bit of an uphill battle for some time...But best of luck to the Mullerized crew. It would shake things up and make the racing a whole hell of a lot more interesting.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I think the Grand-Am cup would be a fair play ground for the Evo.
I spent the weekend at Barber Motorsports park at the Rolex race this past weekend and DID see two Subaru Legacy's running in the ST class. Cobb tuned. I didn't have the time to find out what they were and were not allowed, but from a general team b.s. session we did find they are AWD, but have to run a fully stock exhaust and intake manifold.
I don't recall seeing the two teams at earlier events, so I am the presume noobs in class. From the results shown on Grandamerican.com, they did not place well saturday. But now they have their foot in the door and that much further along in R&D.
Lets see an EVO soon!

Quick Reply: Evo in Speed World Challenge