Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo at Road America

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo at Road America

I ran my Evo at Road America last weekend during a BMW club "driving school". I finished the break-in period on the drive to the track, so the first time the engine got above 5000rpm was on the approach to turn 1!

The prep that I had done to the car was:

1. alignment with 0 toe front and back, max front camber (-1.6), back camber -0.6.

2. installed the factory accessory air deflectors for the front brakes.

3. did some cutting of the front brake heat/gravel shields to allow more air to get to the center portion of the rotor.

4. installed Schroth Rallye 3 harnesses

5. ordered Porterfield R4-E pads, but got R4-S pads, so these are what I originally used (big mistake, see later)

6. used Ford 550F BP brake fluid

I've run my modified 90 Talon at Road America 3 times previously and have also participated in track events with that car at other tracks in the upper Midwest. I've also done quite a bit of autocrossing in various cars, so have some experience.

To summarize, the Evo performed really well. It felt stable at speed (max for me was about 125 mph), felt neutral in cornering, had very mild oversteer when backing off the throttle during a turn (this is good), good acceleration, and rather remarkable traction in the curves with the stock tires. Road America has a big sweeping 120 degree constant-radius turn called the "Carousel". I was able to keep up in this turn with cars running R-compound tires (although probably not fresh tires).

I passed more M3's than I can count. In my run group (intermediate/advanced), the only cars that had more legs than me on the straights were a couple of modified 911s and a new mustang of some kind with at least exhaust mods.

What I learned the most about was the brakes. I've used Porterfield R4 pads in the past and thought they worked pretty well. I had ordered Porterfield R4-E pads from RRE, but got R4-S pads by mistake. There wasn't enough time to exchange them, so I started using the S pads on the track - not good! Those pads suck big time. They didn't fade, but wore completed out to the back plates in two track sessions. I put the stock pads back in, and thought I would have to baby the brakes for the rest of the weekend. Actually, the stock pads worked really well. I was still careful of the brakes because I wanted to be able to drive home with some pad left, but I didn't have to be.

I used the stock pads for 4 track sessions, didn't get any fade, no rotor judder, and only a few millimeters of wear on the friction material. This was a real surprise to me, but the stock pads are really good - at least in combination with the good fluid and cooling capacity.

The only bad part of the weekend was that I hit a deer on the drive back - not really serious, just a series of dents on the left side of the car, but it looks like around $3200 to get it fixed. Such is life!
Old May 6, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

ouch about the deer.... that sucks... Road America is an excellent track. I did some "touring" there during the Brian Redman Classic last summer and can't wait to hit RA again in my Evo. Where are you from TSi?
Old May 6, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm in the U.P. of Michigan.

Road America is one of the premiere tracks in North America. It has everything - length (~4.2 miles), elevation change, scenery, and good food!
Old May 6, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

What were your lap times at RA?
Old May 6, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't measure lap times. Just didn't get around to it. I'm planning to go back to RA in September with the Audi club. Probably measure some times then.

If anyone in the Midwest is interested in doing these driving schools, you should check the national BMW and Audi club sites. These clubs put on a lot of events. I'm going to the Audi weekend at Brainerd at the end of June.

There is a recent post here pointing to a thread in a BMW group. I had a quick look through that, and am amazed at the misinformation. There are comments about the Evo understeering, cheap interior, price-gouging, etc. With the proper alignment, it definitely does not have an understeer problem at higher speeds. Maybe in low speed turns, though. I haven't tried to autocross yet. The interior appearance is relative. I personally think it looks fine. I'd much rather that Mitsubishi spent money on the suspension, aluminum body parts, seats, etc than fancy interior trim. I got the car for 29000 from a dealership in Wausau, Wisconsin. I think that is a very reasonable price.

Another thing I really like is the view out the front. I like the short sloping hood. I don't see it at all from the driving seat.

The only two complaints I have about this car (so far) are the gauges and front jacking point. The red lettering/marks on the black background just isn't visible enough. And I still haven't figured out how to lift both front wheels off the car using a floor jack.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tsi90awd
The only two complaints I have about this car (so far) are the gauges and front jacking point. The red lettering/marks on the black background just isn't visible enough. And I still haven't figured out how to lift both front wheels off the car using a floor jack.
The front jack point is under the plastic air ducting under the car. Remove the center piece, it should be held on with 3 screws and like 6-7 of those plastic "pop rivet" things. Under there you will find the tow hook and the jack point right behind it.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:24 PM

Excellent a fellow track day fan!!! I have run Road America many times in the past in several cars such as a 1995 Talon TSI, 1994 Saleen S351 Mustang and a 1994 Supra TT. Absolutely one of the best tracks in the U.S. I am looking forward to getting the EVO out on the track soon! Probably going to hit Gingerman first. My lap times were 2:40 - 2:45 in my Supra and Saleen at RA. Maybe well run into each other someday.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

man..that mustang was probably the new svt cobra..those things run 12's stock...i think its 495 hp out of the factory.. i freaking beast! evo's can take them at cornering i bet, but straight lines are a given i suppose
Old May 11, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Paevo: What groups or clubs did you run at RA with? I'm planning to go there again in September with the Audi club, but wouldn't mind running again during the summer if there was an oportunity.

Iodine: I know about removing the center panel from the front of the car to get at the center jack point, but I don't want to do it often. I think the panel fasteners will have to be replaced every few times if the panel is taken off regularly. It is also a lot of hassle to take the panel off. When I get some time, I'm going to try to mount a hard plastic or rubber block on the metal jack point so that it contacts the panel, then try jacking directly on the panel.
Old May 11, 2003, 05:11 PM

tsi90awd -

I have run there mainly with the Windy City BMW club but have also run with Track Time.