Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What type of setup for Limerock Park, CT?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of setup for Limerock Park, CT?

Just curious what the course is like.

I have a dedicated daily driver so the EVO can be exclusively setup for the track. Just want to upgrade tires on the stock evo9 wheels and will be getting the ForgeMotorSport brake cooling kit once they have it in stock again.

Which tires run best with a stock MR suspension and also I have added the GT-SPEC trunk cage? I was thinking Yoko A048, Toyo Ra-1, Hoosier R6, or Nitto NT-01.

The tire size are in the range of 235-245/ 40-45/17. Want fast offline and light suspension as possible. Not sure what type of driver I am yet, but just need some experienced help from the EVOM gurus with deciding.

Thanks,

Mr Evolution

Oh, fluids have all been changed replaced. Might upgrade to motul600 for the brakes.

Last edited by Mr Evolution; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

What HPDE experience do you have?

The driver and the event will determine the setup.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr Evolution
Just curious what the course is like.
It's an older short but technical course. It's alot of fun and had several parts revamped last season for safety, namely the uphill which is just one of the dangerous/fun spots. But it's not an ideal first event track for a novice, solely because of lack of runoff. But if you gauge your skill and don't over commit you can learn alot and have alot of fun.

I suggest looking for incar videos on Google or other video search sites. I have 5 incar videos varying from my novice days there to my advanced level driving but none are digital and none are online or hosted and none in my current EVO all are in my Type R.

The first thing that needs to be answered as mentioned above before deciding on tires, brake pads, cooling or other mods is, what track/HPDE experience do you have?

If you are a novice I'd suggest keeping with street tires at least for your first event there and maybe upgrading to an R compound pad and yes the RBF600 fluid. R compound tires will mask novice driver error and will not allow you to learn to drive properly but may put you into a more dangerous situation.

Which event are you planning to drive there? NASA/PDA? If it's the November Event you will want to stay away from R comps anyway since it's notoriously cold there then and last year it snowed while were running our 3rd and 4th sessions.

Limerock was the first track I drove and still one of my favorites behind VIR and before Watkins Glen so it has some awesome qualities, plus it's less than an hour from my house which is always a bonus.

Last edited by Mr Chef; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

It will be the November Event and will be my first. I will be with NASA and I will be in the HPDE4 for beginners.

It will be very cold and R compound might not heat up right and you are right about not learning the car.

I can't get my hands on any Toyo RA-1 so will try to get Nitto Nt-01 or maybe Falkens Rt-615.

I am getting very exited about the event and looking very forward to that day.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

It will be the November Event and will be my first. I will be with NASA and I will be in the HPDE4 for beginners.
Actually I think you mean HPDE 1, group 4 is for instructors.

It will be very cold and R compound might not heat up right and you are right about not learning the car.
It's a toss up I've run V700's there in November when it was about 50 degrees and had decent success but as soon as the clouds cover, the track gets as cold as an ice skating rink and the tire compounds harden up so much you have to struggle to keep any heat in them or you just slide all over.

I can't get my hands on any Toyo RA-1 so will try to get Nitto Nt-01 or maybe Falkens Rt-615.
I don't have any experience with those tires hopefully someone can provide you with some advice in comparison.

It is well worth it. I had planned to drive that event but I am not currently registered and not sure if I can get the time to do it. If I do though it will be a last minute affair and will be in my R.

The best advice is to be mentally, physically and mechanicallyprepared. Get enough sleep beforehand and make sure you are hydrated before and all during the day. Arrive early with an open mind looking to learn and have fun. It's absolutely not an ego trip, it's serious business.

I think it's bad for anyone to give you specific driving instruction online. It's better for you to pay attention to your classes and instructors. Anyone could go step by step turn by turn by the numbers but it's almost moot since as a novice you will be working on actually driving the car, steering inputs, throttle, braking, heel toe shifting and following and finding a line and trying to find/see the flag stations let alone seeing all of them and knowing what the flags represent at speed.

The best advice I can give beyond that is to relax and loosen up. Do not have a death grip on the steering wheel and do not over drive the car.

I can't imagine driving on course for the first time in an EVO it's quite a potent machine but if your patient, safe and take your time to learn you'll have alot of fun.

I'd would suggest though if you haven't already attending a local autocross event before you get on track which will give you a better idea of the cars handling characteristics and dynamics and your abilities and limitations.

Best of luck
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

Mr Evolution... please give me a call if you want a good setup... BTW we are in the same area so you can come to me and take look at all my products and decide what you like..... I just ran a 59 there yesterday. I'll post the video here soon..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226924 pics of my car yesterday.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

I'll be there! If you want... sign up for the EMRA time trial on Oct 28th too (emraracing.org). I can instruct you with that group.

-Kyle