Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

GT Live VIR 06

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pole time for grand-am cup was a 2:03.xx which is about 2.5 seconds faster than those cars normally go Sounds like the track may have been fast in the dry sessions.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

That cooling duct in the right-side headlight is cooling the turbo.

Cory, it was dry in those sessions, track would have been green, but It for sure wasn't wet. That's cool if it was a fast track, but we still have a bit of work.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

We need downforce! Cory, I am sure knows just how much that is worth, especially with the climbing esses, and 17 -17a leading onto the main straight. Next year will be very interesting. Lets see, add a dogbox, 60/40 center diff, aero downforce, and lose 200 more lbs. I think it is very possible to run GT1 times. I for one can't wait to try.
Mark
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

just that lil bit gona give u 10 seconds?

this aint GT4.....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

No Leh, not 10 seconds, but it will give 4 or so, don't you think?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

gt1 time is like 53s? 54s?

you ran a 2:04 rite?

4 is ALOT when your going that fast.......
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, I ran a 2:04 lifting well before the top of the hill on the backstraight, and lifting and coasting into turn one, from the tower. Not pressing anywhere else. The car had at least a 2:00 flat lap in it even without a rear wing. 4 seconds is a lot, but it is a 3.27 mile track. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.... You don't think a massive increase in downforce will get you through the turns 4mph faster? Besides, I've never been to VIR, and I am just an amateur at this track stuff you know.

Last edited by markdaddio; Oct 10, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

The lifting early was due to the splitter hitting the pavement and causing a severly lose car at 145mph and up. By comparison, my top speed in the rain was 157mph once we got the splitter mounted up right.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
That cooling duct in the right-side headlight is cooling the turbo.

Cory, it was dry in those sessions, track would have been green, but It for sure wasn't wet. That's cool if it was a fast track, but we still have a bit of work.

I was just thinking that the track/weather conditions made for faster than normal times so the cyber evo on a normal day might be in the 57-58 range. Even still, that is very fast for a grocery getter
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by markdaddio
The lifting early was due to the splitter hitting the pavement and causing a severly lose car at 145mph and up. By comparison, my top speed in the rain was 157mph once we got the splitter mounted up right.
You guys are using an AIM data system? Does that have theoretical best lap times? The Stack and Motec will take your best segment times and add them up to give you your theroretical fastest time. I was just curious to see how close you might have been given better conditions. Like take the straight away times from the wet with no lifting together with the dry cornering. I am just surprised the cyber evo was that fast. I guess on paper though, that is what these cars should run. 550-600 hp, 2700 lbs, crazy downforce ect.........

BTW, what are you guys using for wheel speed?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

^ Yes it does, it splices all your best segment times and adds them together for a theoretical best, it's not perfect however, sometimes depending on the layout of the track its faster to be slow in some sections, so it is a bit decieving.....

Scorke
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsr14
You guys are using an AIM data system? Does that have theoretical best lap times? The Stack and Motec will take your best segment times and add them up to give you your theroretical fastest time. I was just curious to see how close you might have been given better conditions. Like take the straight away times from the wet with no lifting together with the dry cornering. I am just surprised the cyber evo was that fast. I guess on paper though, that is what these cars should run. 550-600 hp, 2700 lbs, crazy downforce ect.........

BTW, what are you guys using for wheel speed?
Cory,

When we made our dry laps, we only ran a total of 2 at any type of speed. The car was flatout unstable at speed. After the dry session we found we had 1/10th toe out in the rear, coupled with a bolt that had loosened up on the front lower control arm, plus having the aero imbalance which made for a really unstable car. Now take that car and have the splitter mount break at 140+ mph and you can understand that with the exception of the slowest corners, the car was not being driven hard when it ran the 2:04. Even if we did what you say with the data system, it still would not show what the car would have done after we fixed it. It is all just a somewhat educated guess.

The only decent comparison I have to go by is that when we both went out together in the first session of the competition on Sunday in the wet. These were the times.

Cyber Evo 2:11.74
AMS 2:15.10

We were 3.4 behind, we were running 235/45/17 Toyo RA1's and they were running their softest compound Yokahama A048.

The Cyber Evo was able to go faster 40 minutes later and ran the 2:08 in still mostly wet, but with a dry line in spots. Unfortunatly, We had our tire blowout, and couldn't go out with a treaded tire for the last session. (Hoosier R6's don't cut it on a cold wet track)

I would say it is very similar to the GSC car at CMP. You knew you had a lot more in it, just how much is kinda hard to say though. Bottom line is, in my opinion, we are somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds off the cyber evo in the dry. We may know better in December at the Redline Time Attack at Buttonwillow, as the Cyber evo has set a time there. Hope you guys can make it out there. So far no one in the US has been within 3 seconds of that car, and I for one don't like being that far out.

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:50 PM
Account Disabled

nice

nice pixz
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry ot hear you guys have a lot of problem.Show Tarzan Drag EVO,lol.Beat JDM next sesion!!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a picture of the live timing screen towards the end of the 2nd session of the finals. Fastest times are in the 2nd column. I am trying to find results to post from the final session, but so far no luck.

Quick Reply: GT Live VIR 06