Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

GT Live VIR 06

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT Live VIR 06

I am here at VIR.. well in a hotel room about 10 miles from the track, this weekend is the GRand American Roadrace Cup 6 hour races, and another GT Live Event for 06 (first was in Phoenix)

I am not driving the AMS car this weekend, Mark Daddio is, which is going to give me time to play reporter/photographer.

Today was wet, and I got there late so I don't have many pictures, but here are some highlights:

The AMS Evo at um, speed. Slippery conditions made for slow laps.. Mark has had one dry hot lap, and that was yesterday, and it was a 2:08. Hopefully it will dry out at some point this weekend, but looking at the radar.. it looks like it is going to be a GT Wet! and not GT Live!

Mark in the car, waiting to go out before the final Friday session. It would end with a short and fairly harmless ride through the grass. We will probably be mounting up some rain tires for tomorrow.

The competition. Some of it anyway. It also stayed inthe garage for the practice sessions, only coming out to give some media rides late in the day.

Tomorrow should be fun... (but for me, a little bit of torture.. I have to wait till next month in California to drive the AMS car again)
Old Oct 7, 2006, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

dang cyber evo is pretty......

i remember watching it at phenix... it is a badboi!... but i duno if thats the same one.. i think thats a newer one.. for US i guess....

jon.. post some more pics of the competition please... i wish we could made it up to play...
Old Oct 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Thursday night rain over there was RIDICULOUS.....I hydroplaned all the way back to Raleigh...
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

More pics...

Grand Am Cup night shots:

Last edited by racerjon1; Oct 7, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

awesome pics and good luck to the AMS team. Let us know how it all shakes out.

Also like how the AMS front right rotors are glowing red
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Wow they are glowing red.. I was paying so much attention to how the car was entering and getting off the corner attitude wise I hadn't seen that, good spot.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Lap times? How did everyone do?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSG won RWD beating that S2000 pictured above. Bill Washburn, my friend and partner at DSG was driving the 240 Maxi Spec.

Alex
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
DSG won RWD beating that S2000 pictured above. Bill Washburn, my friend and partner at DSG was driving the 240 Maxi Spec.

Alex
uhh we are slightly more interested in the AWD results! Please tell!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

cyber evo cleaned house on sat i hurd
Old Oct 9, 2006, 04:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chronohunter
uhh we are slightly more interested in the AWD results! Please tell!

Yeah, an Evo won and it had a sweet body kit; everyone here can now make their evo as fast as the Cyber Evo by simple bolt ons and a re-flash!!!

Just messin around, the Cyber Evo proved to be the best developed car there winning by a large margin.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 04:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
Yeah, an Evo won and it had a sweet body kit; everyone here can now make their evo as fast as the Cyber Evo by simple bolt ons and a re-flash!!!

Just messin around, the Cyber Evo proved to be the best developed car there winning by a large margin.
And Driver...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

The driver of the Cyber Evo is good no doubt, but that car is really well developed, and it takes both.

When I congratulated him on his drive he said "No, it is the car, anyone can win in cyber evo, lots of downforce, good grip"

Is he being humble? Of course. It takes a very good driver to develop a car into one that "anyone can win in" But it's a hell of a car.

His best time in the dry was a 1:55.4 or something, which is only a second off the GT1 track record. Daddio was in the AMS car this weekend, and ran a 2:04 with lots of problems. -- mainly a splitter that kept breaking, causing some strange handling issues to say the least.

In the wet the Cyber Evo ran a 2:08 and we had a 2:15.. Pure bad luck caused that as we had a tire go down (not exactly sure why.. might have been something on the track) and in the ensuing "oh $^%&!" moment the exhaust came off the car and Mark ran it over.. all at about 120mph. The only other set we had were drys, and we didn't have enough time to put heat in them on the 80% wet track and never got to put another fast lap in.

The AMS car should have had a 1:58 - 1:59 in it in the dry if things had gone up to expectations, but this is racing, and that doesn't always happen. Trying new things sometimes leads to a step back. (remember when Tiger Woods reinvented his swing and had a bad period.. same concept)

We knew we were not going to outrun the Cyber Evo this weekend. We knew that it was going to be a test to see how far behind we were. The results don't show it because of the problems, but we are pretty happy with where we are considering we have a year of work into this car, and they have years and years of work into theirs.

I will say that everyone was really nice, the Cyber Evo team, the Zero Sports team and the rest of the competitors at the event. It was serious, but never felt hostile. I took TONS of pictures of the Cyber Evo.. they took the car apart at the end of the weekend to let people look at the build even.

Tarzan is "crazy" on TV and in his writing, but on his own he is down to earth and serious, and it was fun watching him and seeing how he reacted to things, discussing the handling of the cars in the rain, etc.

The event was cool in it's variety.. we had Tarzan JGTC/D1/Time Attack driver, we had bazillion time SCCA National Champion Daddio, NASA club racer Chad Slagg in a Honda Civic - that took 3rd overall - and one guy who drove his Civic to the track to compete. Teams from across the globe, teams from less than a hundred miles away, etc.

The Grand Am guys were shaking their heads at us till they heard the lap times.. then they started coming around asking about the cars - I hope that we run with more pro events because these are pro efforts and all of the teams deserve the respect from both fans and people in the industry.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:26 AM
Account Disabled

WOW.... 1:55 is very good when compared to the fastest VIR lap of the rolex GT race

Henzler/ Liddell Tafel Racing / Porsche GT3 Cup 74 1:58.487
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

does anybody know the specs on cyber evo (turbo, suspension, etc)

Quick Reply: GT Live VIR 06