Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Two Questions: Winter Tire Storage and CG Locks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two Questions: Winter Tire Storage and CG Locks

I didn't find any threads talking about storage/maintenance of race tires during the Winter, and the term "CG" is too small for the search engine to return any results.

First, I have my brand new set of race rims (NTO3+M) and race rubber (V710) mounted, balanced, and sitting in the garage waiting for next season. We have very cold Winters here in Colorado, so I was concerned that leaving them in the garage for the next 5 months unused would possibly be a bad idea. Are there any general rules of thumb for this situation, and/or does anyone have suggestions. I was considering bringing them inside and storing in the basement. It's still cold in the basement, but it's finished, so it gets heated with the rest of the house and isn't nearly as cold as the garage.

Secondly, can someone suggest where and what CG locks to get? I have decided based on the other recent safety threads that I should go this route for next season until I get a roll bar or cage in 2008 in anticipation of wheel to wheel racing. I can't do either this year, because the car is not only a daily driver, but I also keep a baby seat in the back for transporting the newborn.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would bring them into the basement. The temperature is relatively stable, which is best for the tires. Humidity is also bad, so try and make sure they're in a dry place. I would wrap them in plastic bags to keep moisture out. Ozone and UV light also take their toll on tires. UV isn't a problem inside, but the best you can do to prevent ozone damage is to keep them wrapped and in a pollution-free environment (as much as possible).
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Dryness is a given here, hah, especially in the winter with the heat on. I can wrap them in plastic trash bags no problem.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Nov 12, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

You need to bring them in out of the cold for sure. The basement in a trash bag would be ideal.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

K.

Psssst, CG locks. =P
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Heard nothing but good about this one..

http://www.cg-lock.com/autocross.html
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

If you need a place to buy the cg-locks from pm me for the guys contact info, he is a local in my area, but you can get them off of ebay too I believe or that site that was suggested...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ordered.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

From my understanding the best way to store r-compounds is in a cool place, but not too cold (below freezing). It is also a good idea to deflate the tires and wrap them in plastic bags.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

It should be cool, but not freezing in the basement. Deflate the tires? Hmm, I can do that, too, then wrap them in the plastic bags. Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It should be cool, but not freezing in the basement. Deflate the tires? Hmm, I can do that, too, then wrap them in the plastic bags. Thanks.
The deflating part sounds a little hokey, I know. I believe I read it in the back of GRM in the tire guy's column. He said basically the high pressure air inside the tire "bleeds" through the tire and some "oxidation" occurs with the rubber compound. Take it FWIW but it's an easy and pretty much free thing to do and try to preserve your mega buck grippy tires.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

you will be pleased w/ the CG lock... but not satisfied. Remember to get 2 of them if you have whiney instructors/riders in your NASA region.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Anything will be better than what I have now, and until I go with a full cage or roll bar, it doesn't seem that any of the harness solutions are proper for me while road racing. Maybe for auto-x, but not on the road course.

I don't have to worry about instructors riding along anymore, so that narrows it down to whiny riders, and they can suck it up or not ride, hah.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, i purchased a CG lock for my auto-x last weekend and i must say i'm in LOVE. After i got it figured out on how to put it on, i had it really tight and the course was really fast so it held me very well. I don't have any harnesses but i would definately recommend this product. Last weekend was only my second auto-x and i love it.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

ive been using cg-locks for the past 2 years. Great product.
It will hold your butt in place pretty good. It's a must have for hard cornering.. if you don't have a harness.

I used to take them off when i wasn't at the track, now i just leave them on all the time.
People always try to take them apart when they get in the passenger seat. Just have to explain to them how the lever on the side works.
And be careful not to throw your seat belt off... You could end up with a broken window

Quick Reply: Two Questions: Winter Tire Storage and CG Locks