Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Jason,

Yeah, it's nice having something fast, but that I can tow home if it breaks, no doubt. Good luck with everything. Too bad there are so many c5 Z06's back east. We do have a false image of the evos competitiveness out west.

Originally Posted by Barfly30
Yeah, that was painful to discover coming to the IN/OH region. There aren't many vettes running TTA in California, at least SoCal, so I though the EVO would be competitive out here. Doesn't look like it. That's a drag as I don't plan on dumping more money in this car to make it TTU/TTR. Looks like I will be doing less NASA events and more general trackdays in the EVO. I will probably end up spending more time in SCCA as I'm going to start running SRF regional events next month.

Glad to hear you have been enjoying your new car, Percy. I will be joining the lightweight, lower cost club soon.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA does have time trials but not a national championship. They let you in with only a 30-min PDX (HPDE), but there's no open passing.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
SCCA does have time trials but not a national championship. They let you in with only a 30-min PDX (HPDE), but there's no open passing.
I've instructed before for a local SCCA PDX event @ Gateway. It was setup like a normal DE for all groups but the instructors had open passing.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

SCCA may have track days but certainly not in every region. Here in Norcal and socal SCCA only runs AutoX and full road racing events. Nothing in between except the twice yearly thill street school with no open passing. Sorta strange when you think about it, there is no development path into RoadRacing from AutoX, one day you go 70mph max and the next 120+mph with cars around you ...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

PDX events are rare around here too, at least they were when I looked into it last. The lack of a development path is the reason I walked away from the SCCA.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
you don't take points for any weight reduction. Everybody uses the alternate weight method. Car can be down to 3263 (depends on model), with driver and fuel. Once you start gutting, it's easy to get down in the 3000 or below range, but then add a cage, and driver, and fuel, and the car's fat again.

Other than the cooler, what more do you have? You can freely bump your HP in TTS, (any mods you'd like, i'd check on turbo swap, but TTS/U/R are just hp/weight based classes.)

remember, i'm running TTA. and i'm clipping around sebring with the new car, suspension honestly unsetup, with stock power/boost (untuned turboback), ra-1's @ 2.30. I'd honestly bet the car has a 27 or 28 in the current form with no hp upgrades, and i can get 370ish hp, and stay in class.
Just to clarify, I don't need to add a point for "Removal/Modification of rear crash bar" under the weight savings section if I do the Alternative method?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Just to clarify, I don't need to add a point for "Removal/Modification of rear crash bar" under the weight savings section if I do the Alternative method?
Ok first read this if you haven't already.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Time-Trial-Rules.pdf

Ill also quote the necessary section right here:
WEIGHT REDUCTION:
Any vehicle that has a competition weight (with driver)* that is more than 150 pounds lighter
than the vehicle’s curb weight listing, and any vehicle that has had cutting or grinding of the
body or chassis, or removal or lightening of parts either not listed below or on the list of No-
Points Modifications, or not otherwise assessed points, is required to use the alternate method
below, based on minimum competition weight, to determine weight reduction modification
points. As well, a competitor may choose to use the alternate method to assess weight
modification points at any time:

*Minimum competition weight is the vehicle’s lightest weight with the driver and safety gear,
during any competition session. Any driver/team who’s vehicle at impound does not meet the
minimum weight that they have declared on their car classification sheet may be disqualified and
lose all accrued points for the season if the number of modification points based on the lighter
actual weight puts the car in a higher competition class.
If youre still confused after that here is a the cliff notes version.

Weigh your car, exactly how it would be after finishing a TT session, w/ driver, safety equipment + left over gas (this is your competition weight). Is this amount less than listed curb weight of your car minus 150lbs? If it is less then that you get to use the "standard" method which involves counting points for each lightened piece. If its more, and unless your car is fully stripped and then some it won't be, then no points added.

Example: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR ('05)(AWD) curb weight = 3263
If your competition weight is less than 3263 - 150 = 3113lbs use the "standard" method and add up those points for specific lightening pieces.
Otherwise no points!

Last edited by heeltoer; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

that reply is either poorly worded, or just wrong. the alternate method means weighing the car to determine min weight. the standard method is to take points for each item. if the car ends up less than 150 under curb, then you must use the alternate method.

more or less, if the car will be at curb weight at all times (w driver) then you take no pts
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

previous post changed

Last edited by heeltoer; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

when I get to a computer, ill do it. I'm on a cell while airport travelling.

the individual pts are for standard only. when going alt, pts come in, but only for the amt of weight under the limit. ( dif set of pts)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
when I get to a computer, ill do it. I'm on a cell while airport travelling.

the individual pts are for standard only. when going alt, pts come in, but only for the amt of weight under the limit. ( dif set of pts)

Ok, to finalize that question... this is the previously posted bit about when you have to use the alternate weight.

WEIGHT REDUCTION:
Any vehicle that has a competition weight (with driver)* that is more than 150 pounds lighter
than the vehicle’s curb weight listing, and any vehicle that has had cutting or grinding of the
body or chassis, or removal or lightening of parts either not listed below or on the list of No-
Points Modifications, or not otherwise assessed points, is required to use the alternate method
below, based on minimum competition weight, to determine weight reduction modification
points. As well, a competitor may choose to use the alternate method to assess weight
modification points at any time:
If standard method is used (nobody does), then you must take points for each removal/mod that alters the vehicle weight.

Now, heres the points issued for the alternate weight.

Alternate Method based on actual vehicle competition weight:
If the OEM curb weight used for base classing purposes above in 6.3.2 (no driver, with fluids
and fuel tank filled) minus minimum competition weight (with driver*) is greater than: 5 lbs +1,
20 lbs +2, 35 lbs +3, 50 lbs +4, 65 lbs +5, 80 lbs +6, 95 lbs +7, 110 lbs +8, 125 lbs +9, 140 lbs
+10, 155 lbs +11, 170 lbs +12, 185 lbs +13, 200 lbs +14, 215 lbs +15, 230 lbs +16, 245 lbs +17,
260 lbs +18, 275 lbs +19, 290 lbs +20, 305 lbs +21, 320 lbs +22, 335 lbs +23, 350 lbs +24, 365
lbs +25, 380 lbs +26, 395 lbs +27, 410 lbs +28, 425 lbs +29, 440 lbs +30, 455 lbs +31, etc…
that means, if you're under 3263, you need to take pts as listed.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Thanks for the clarification bro
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Thanks for the clarification
Old May 22, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

NASA Weight and Power points clarification

All, I have been dinging Greg, the Regional TT guy for NASA to get some clarification on weight reduction and the adjusted power/weight ratio. I currently slot into TTA and wanted to see how much lee-way I have to maximize the car and remain legal. See his responses below:

Yes, you do not take any weight points until you drop below the base weight listed.

You are limited by the 8.7:1 adjusted weight to power ratio as you stated, using the TTS/TTU formula.
Base class and weights as of 2008:
Evo 03-05.....TTC**......3263
Evo 05 MR.....TTB..........3263
Evo 06..........TTB..........3263
Evo 06 RS.....TTB..........3219
Evo 06 MR.....TTB*........3285
Sti 04-07.......TTB..........3260

* = add 7pts
** = add 14pts

I believe the X got nailed with 3500lbs.

Last edited by boomn29; May 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
NASA Weight and Power points clarification

I believe the X got nailed with 3500lbs.
Indeed it did , but it carries its weight well

Ryan

Quick Reply: Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...