Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heeltoer
SCCA may have track days but certainly not in every region. Here in Norcal and socal SCCA only runs AutoX and full road racing events. Nothing in between except the twice yearly thill street school with no open passing. Sorta strange when you think about it, there is no development path into RoadRacing from AutoX, one day you go 70mph max and the next 120+mph with cars around you ...
We are working on that in our region. We have started some level 2 tt events to try and bridge the gap .

I'll agree tho that if SCCA dosn't want to step up to the plate here soon with TT's they are in for a world of hurt with new members.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The local SCCA folks have cranked up the PDX/TT action nicely in the CO region. My only issue is that they only require a 30-min PDX session before allowing people to do TT.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The local SCCA folks have cranked up the PDX/TT action nicely in the CO region. My only issue is that they only require a 30-min PDX session before allowing people to do TT.
Im hoping its a bit more than that, because i dont know how comfortable i would be with that.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They don't allow open passing in TT like NASA, so that mitigates it some, but there are complete noobs out here going to their first track day and doing TT right away after a PDX session if they get signed off...and with 6 autox events under their belt.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Well actually you are right somewhat and wrong somewhat. There are 4 levels to the SCCA TT program

1. PDX- Basically a track day with point bye passing i believe.
2. level 2 TT. These are timed events on smaller tracks with no passing. No license required and no saftey requirements
3. level 3 TT. These is one of the top two tiers of the TT program. These require full safety gear, roll cage, including at least a roll bar in the Auto-x classed cars. You can be a novice and come race with a novice permit. You will be watched bye the saftey steward and the Chief driving instuctor.
4. level 4 TT. These are the hillclimbs. This is the top tier. All saftey requirements, the same as level 3. More if you'd like. . You can also come and race some of these with just a novice permit. If you completed 3 Hillclimbs without incident you will be signed of from the Chief steward and Driving instructor for a TT license. They will watch you closely to make sure that you are not insane. And you would have to be pretty darn stupid to come to a hillclimb and not have a brain.

Now you may be able to get a TT license from just level 3 events but i'm not sure on that one. Either way you will weed out the newbs with the saftey usually.

Now thats a huge difference then NASA. Which is better? Well SCCA requires alot more saftey gear. And NASA requires all the HPDE experience. What you learn in NASA tho is really just passing. TT's really shouldn't have passing in them if they are run right. IMO.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; May 28, 2008 at 09:13 AM.