Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...

*Disclaimer: I realize the rules are going to change soon, but I'm guessing my points will only INCREASE, not DECREASE, so this is still applicable.

After going through the TT calculator a few times, I just don't see how many of us could stay safely in TTA. I am fairly certain I'm going to have no chance in TTU, since it's basically unlimited...not completely, I know, but there's no point limit, just a max WHP well above what I make or will ever make and a few other oddball limitations.

What I'm wanting to know is how you TTA guys with suspensions, bolt-ons/cams, and brake upgrades manage to easily stay below 39 points. I don't have my suspension yet, so I tried to guess all the things that will count against me, but when you add things like camber plates, coilovers, bushings, sways, etc. it adds up to a lot. Then, with simple brake upgrades (pads, rotors), bolt-on mods (intake, tbe, no stock cat, fmic, mbc, flash) and cams, the points REALLY add up. Tack on some race tires, and it starts to get ugly. I know I can remove my ported/coated hotside, my ported stock manifold, my Forge WGA, and not use the alky injection, but that's about it, and that's not enough. What do you guys skimp on?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why I'm driving a prepped Z06 in TTU next season and keeping my evo slow and in TTA. The points cutoff is tough. No power is how I'm going to make the points cut off in the evo.

jeff
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For one, stay away from race tires.

I did it the last time and I came to 35 points.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just did it again, here's how I go:

Your car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR ('04-'05) Start Over
Your base class is TTB.

Your mods are as follows:

Reprogrammable ECU chip, reflashable computer, or aftermarket computer system that can directly control engine timing maps and/or fuel injector pulse, allowing fine tuning (Do not also take points for performance chip/reflash): elsewhere, turbo/supercharged for 8 points.
Modification of the OEM air box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/supercharger/throttle body/carburetor for 1 point.
Aftermarket boost controller with on-track driver control for 4 points.
Aftermarket or modified wastegate actuator for 2 points.
Add aftermarket intercooler for 3 points.
Aftermarket or modified header for 2 points.
Non-OEM or modified complete exhaust system downstream from the header, exhaust manifold, or turbo. (does not include catalytic converter removal/upgrade) for 2 points.
Removal, upgrade, or modification of catalytic converter(s) for 1 point.
Non-OEM fuel pump for 2 points.
Non-OEM adjustable shocks/struts with threaded strut body "coilover conversion" for spring perch height adjustment +7 (springs and perches are free) for 7 points.
Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars ("sway" bars- front, rear, or both - may have spherical joints and polyurethane bushings on the end links) for 2 points.
Non-OEM brake pads for 1 point.
Non-OEM brake rotors (includes slotted, dimpled, cross-drilled, and cryo-treated rotors) for 1 point.
Add rear strut tower bar for 1 point.
Add rear diffuser for 2 points.

Your 39 modification points puts you in TTA.

Last year, running with the guys in TTA, I was one of the fastest...

Last edited by Fireball; Nov 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

No race tires kinda makes it pointless, imo. I guess i'm decently fast on my RT-615s, but nowhere near what I do on race tires.. I'm guessing the only option for us would be 255-width RA-1s on a wide rim to keep it down to 5 points. I'm using 285 V710s, which makes it 10 points - ick.

Swordfish, thanks a lot, I feel great now, haha.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

So, you have no sway bars, bushings, camber plates, while on street tires? Also, no change to the hotside and stock fuel pump/injectors, aye?

Last edited by Warrtalon; Nov 17, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No race tires kinda makes it pointless, imo. I guess i'm decently fast on my RT-615s, but nowhere near what I do on race tires.. I'm guessing the only option for us would be 255-width RA-1s on a wide rim to keep it down to 5 points. I'm using 285 V710s, which makes it 10 points - ick.

Swordfish, thanks a lot, I feel great now, haha.
Then you should be in TTU.

If you think you're only fast on race tires, compete with everyone else on race tires. I have zero sympathy for someone driving an Evo on 285 sized race tires, trying to stay in TTA.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So, you have no sway bars, bushings, camber plates, while on street tires? Also, no change to the hotside and stock fuel pump/injectors, aye?
Oops, missed one. Add +2 to that for modified rear sway bar.

The camber plates is part of the coilover +7 points from what I was told.

Everything else is stock.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I used 245s this year and was still not close. You aren't saying it's abnormal to compete on race tires, are you?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
Oops, missed one. Add +2 to that for modified rear sway bar.

The camber plates is part of the coilover +7 points from what I was told.

Everything else is stock.
Oh, I didn't see camber plate included in the coilover description, and they are a separate item listed below, so I added those. Also, with those sway bar points, cams will put you in TTU, right?

I'm surprised you're running the stock fuel pump with an MBC, FMIC, header, TBE, and flash on an VIII...
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, I used 245s this year and was still not close. You aren't saying it's abnormal to compete on race tires, are you?
No, I'm saying it's abnormal to want to try and compete in a "stock" type class with race tires.

TTU guys are the full out race guys.

TTA and down are more street car classifications.

TTU might not be too bad this year, since most super cars that were in TTU will get bumped to TTR by these classifications.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Oh, I didn't see camber plate included in the coilover description, and they are a separate item listed below, so I added those. Also, with those sway bar points, cams will put you in TTU, right?

I'm surprised you're running the stock fuel pump with an MBC, FMIC, header, TBE, and flash on an VIII...
Cams haven't happened yet, and yeah, I need to add a fuel pump too... but still under the 40 points.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, I didn't know TTA was considered stock type, and every TTA car in my region is on race tires - I didn't know it was abnormal to use race tires in such a high competition class. I thought TTA was pretty high up there when the AMS car is only one class higher. Maybe it won't be as bad this year as you said.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

37 for you now without cams and fuel pump, but if you do cams, then over 40 unless you remove something.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Fireball-didn't you forget to add the camber plates on your Buddy Clubs (I have them as well). Plus, how about your Walbro.
Plus-I've run hard with Buddy Clubs on street advans and the car just needs more grip (did this at the Redline Time Attack). I sure hope I can stay in TTA and run 255 RA1s as my suspension and power really like the extra grip. On the other hand, 285 DOT slicks might seem a bit excessive in the same class as 255 RA1's. To me tires are the most important factor when it comes to running faster times.

Quick Reply: Interested in hearing input from you TTA guys...