Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even though the evos didnt place it seemed like very good driving was done for sure.

the works evo hung in there pretty good.

and so did you marty. just wish we could see more of the race.

one thing that bothered me was that red srt4 that was left stranded in the grass. god forbid another car looses it (like certain RWD cars that couldnt keep out of the grass)

Last edited by mannymartinez; Nov 30, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing that bothered me was that red srt4 that was left stranded in the grass. god forbid another car looses it (like certain RWD cars that couldnt keep out of the grass)

Thanks, the SRT actually was in a pretty good spot to pull off of the track(far right), at that point you are far left coming through there, but you are right anything can happen. I did think it was odd that when I came around he was sitting/leaning back on his hood, now that was dangerous. Either stay in the car buckled up or if the stewards allow, get out of the car and clear the track.

Marty
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mannymartinez
even though the evos didnt place it seemed like very good driving was done for sure.

the works evo hung in there pretty good.

and so did you marty. just wish we could see more of the race.

Mike Santos can hold his own The in-car footage he shared from the "nudge" towards the end is pretty impressive. He also gave us a nice narrative for our current newsletter: http://www.worksevo.com/newsletters/NewletterQ4-06.htm I think he made it all year on one 6-speed transmission as well
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I met Michael Santos in Portland. Great guy and great driving to recover from such a big sideways moment.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

i just saw that in car vid. it was very impressive. dont think he could of done it any better
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:58 AM

Cool
Old Dec 7, 2006, 06:42 PM

hello guys,
I'm putting together a 03 evo for next sesson for the t2 class any proformance ,safety,handling tips .
please help

thanks,
andy
Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andy hiralall
hello guys,
I'm putting together a 03 evo for next sesson for the t2 class any proformance ,safety,handling tips .
please help

thanks,
andy
http://scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2007.pdf

Read up
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Hey Paul, What Bill said and even the Non factory backed Subie that was behind WTZ was last years National Championship winning car, so it was set up pretty well. 1. It's not an Evo friendly track like say a VIR, it kinda has that big autocross feel to it in several places. 2. Both Bill and I were just not set up to our full potential as far as the car goes and both of us had rotten luck with trying to get some decent track time to practice. My biggest mistake was putting an untested suspension (Ohlins) on AT the track. Id never run them before and threw them on and hoped for the best; I now know that id have been better off with my stock OEM struts. Since then, Ive had time to tinker with the Ohlins and they are now much better. We both could really use your help with suspension/handling set ups.

Marty
AMSPerformance.com-Sponsored
mgrand34@aol.com
Thanks for the reply guys and sorry to take so long to see it

It does sound like a tough year for EVO's it would be interesting to figure out what the Subi guys are doing suspension wise because their cars have ZERO roll, dive and squat, they look very very stiff. There is definitely some "creative thinking" going into their dampers at least in the form of super high canister pressures and/or bump stop solutions (and probably much more). If the cars were just propped up by stiff valving they would eventually roll (in long corners) but the don't so they have well over 500lbs of supplemental springing concealed in the system.

How do you compare power and braking wise?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter

It does sound like a tough year for EVO's it would be interesting to figure out what the Subi guys are doing suspension wise because their cars have ZERO roll, dive and squat, they look very very stiff. There is definitely some "creative thinking" going into their dampers at least in the form of super high canister pressures and/or bump stop solutions (and probably much more). If the cars were just propped up by stiff valving they would eventually roll (in long corners) but the don't so they have well over 500lbs of supplemental springing concealed in the system.

Hi Chronohunter,

Apparently the Subaru guys use JRZ shocks with stock perches welded to the dampers. I don't know if that is common knowledge but hopefully that helps I was talking with Bill Z. and he says they really outhandle everyone, a good second or so faster a lap. I would really love to see some suspension development for the Evos so that we can be more competitive.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty much every car in T2 has stock perches welded to fancy struts, its either that or you have to run a completely stock set up. Mine are welded to rings that I can adjust the height to match the stock dimensions as per the GCR. As far as braking, we are even with the Subies from what I can see and we have power on them on the straights, the Subies run out of steam up top so the faster the speeds the better it is for us. If we could match the Subies handling, or even be close, the Evos would clearly be the car to have. IMO the best handling car is the 350z followed by the M3 (which also have the best brakes), with the STI close behind. No surprise but the M3 an 350Zs both got spring upgrades passed through the crb. As far as the Subies having a tight suspension, when you follow them through a long corner, the back wheel is about 10 inches off the ground the entire time. Watching the runoffs replay, it is amazing to see what appears to be oversteer when the dive into the corners, boy I wish I had some of that!
Marty

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Dec 11, 2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Pretty much every car in T2 has stock perches welded to fancy struts, its either that or you have to run a completely stock set up. Mine are welded to rings that I can adjust the height to match the stock dimensions as per the GCR. As far as braking, we are even with the Subies from what I can see and we have power on them on the straights, the Subies run out of steam up top so the faster the speeds the better it is for us. If we could match the Subies handling, or even be close, the Evos would clearly be the car to have. IMO the best handling car is the 350z followed by the M3 (which also have the best brakes), with the STI close behind. No surprise but the M3 an 350Zs both got spring upgrades passed through the crb. As far as the Subies having a tight suspension, when you follow them through a long corner, the back wheel is about 10 inches off the ground the entire time. Watching the runoffs replay, it is amazing to see what appears to be oversteer when the dive into the corners, boy I wish I had some of that!
Marty
So are you saying that the STI's do eventually roll (hiking the rear wheel well into the air) or do they do it at turn in? If it's eventual then it's damn stiff damping if it's immediate then they have the rear spring rate somehow jacked way up (and probably the front as well just not as much). Looking from TV it looks pretty stiff overall as I mentioned earlier. Just trying to get a handle on their advantages
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

So are you saying that the STI's do eventually roll (hiking the rear wheel well into the air) or do they do it at turn in? If it's eventual then it's damn stiff damping if it's immediate then they have the rear spring rate somehow jacked way up (and probably the front as well just not as much). Looking from TV it looks pretty stiff overall as I mentioned earlier. Just trying to get a handle on their advantages

Ill dig through my qual tapes and see if I can find some decent video of them from behind, video must be worth much more than a thousand words From what I remember that inside wheel is up on turn in and remained up all the way around turn 12 and didnt hit the ground until he transitioned out of the corner.

Marty
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marty

Evo lifts inside rear tire too with stock suspension. There is no reason you can't have tons over oversteer with toe-out on all 4 corners.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

IMO the best handling car is the 350z followed by the M3 (which also have the best brakes), with the STI close behind. No surprise but the M3 an 350Zs both got spring upgrades passed through the crb. As far as the Subies having a tight suspension, when you follow them through a long corner, the back wheel is about 10 inches off the ground the entire time. Watching the runoffs replay, it is amazing to see what appears to be oversteer when the dive into the corners, boy I wish I had some of that!
I noticed the massive inside wheel lift on the Speed footage as well and the Subies seem to ride excessively high. They also appeared super stiff - especially compared to the Evos (and Mr. Santos' in particular).

As for braking, I don't see how an Evo or an STi could ever best a car with superior weight distribution like the M3 or 350Z (assuming equal tires and heat-dissapation capacity).

Will Turner must have been frustrated chasing the 2nd place Suby. He clearly had better braking and mid-corner speed but the Suby could just float in sideways, slow the bimmer down, and use torque+4wd to get back up to speed. Of course, a well prepped Evo would probably be most effective doing the same thing given the similarities btw the Suby and Mitsu.

Quick Reply: SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed