Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by machron1
Evo lifts inside rear tire too with stock suspension. There is no reason you can't have tons over oversteer with toe-out on all 4 corners.
Yeah, Marty and I are aware of the tire lift on the OEM setup... here is an email from a fellow Audi Club Instructor at VIR last month:

"Wanted to relay some info about your car at VIR, but didn't get a chance. Was driving with one of my students in the car. Gave you a pass between 10 and 11 because this gray blurrrrr arrived in my rear view mirror very suddenly. I was in the process of telling my student that this was not a student passing zone and to watch what you were doing because you were going into the corner off line. Everything looked good at entry and thru apex. As you were exiting and going for the turn in cone to oak tree, the right rear lifted to 8 to 10 inches off the track. I thought it was way cool and wished that I had my video camera in the car. My student was more than a little excited when he saw it. He said that the car was broken, the driver was out of control, and you were going to crash. Quite the opposite. It was a good teaching moment. You know weight transfer and all that good stuff. I made him figure most of it out by asking questions about it the whole way down the back, where I could teach a whole class because my car is soooo slow. Anyway, thought you might want to know that you are lifting the inside rears in the corners."

We've done a lot of testing with alignment settings etc. and toe out can help reduce the understeer, but as with any adjustment it has it's tradeoffs and we aren't willing to accept the unstable nature that the required amount of toe would induce. We will surely use toe as part of the equation, but there are plenty of other factors when adjusted properly and in cooperation that will give us the required results without sacrificing too much. We shall see in time...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redvolution
I noticed the massive inside wheel lift on the Speed footage as well and the Subies seem to ride excessively high. They also appeared super stiff - especially compared to the Evos (and Mr. Santos' in particular).

As for braking, I don't see how an Evo or an STi could ever best a car with superior weight distribution like the M3 or 350Z (assuming equal tires and heat-dissapation capacity).

Will Turner must have been frustrated chasing the 2nd place Suby. He clearly had better braking and mid-corner speed but the Suby could just float in sideways, slow the bimmer down, and use torque+4wd to get back up to speed. Of course, a well prepped Evo would probably be most effective doing the same thing given the similarities btw the Suby and Mitsu.

Yea there is no comparison to one of these Team Subie cars lifting the rear wheel as compared to anything remotely stock on an evo, sure we lift but trust me, they are in a different league. As for braking, you are right we cant best them but thats the beauty of T2, every car has its advantages and disadvantages; if one car had all 3 for instance ie braking, handling and power, it would be bumped up to T1 or it would be restricted. You may not have the best of any one performance area and still get restricted like the Subies did last year based on your performance. Subaru isnt the fastest (Evo, GTOs and F bodys are faster), Subaru doesnt brake the best (M3 and 350Zs have that area) and Subaru doesnt handle the best (M3 and 350Zs) Now why were both the 350Z and the M3 given spring upgrades where no other car in T2 got them? Because if they didnt out handle the other front running cars, theyd be noncompetitive. Personally, I think a well set up M3 has the best overall package. And yes you are right, with the EVO you have to protect the inside corner from them using superior braking and cornering on you as they try to dive inside of you. You slow their momentum and rocket out of the corner, least thats my theory Paul feel free to chime in on this one
Marty
T2 #34