Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed

Hi All,
Set your Tivo's. The T2 race will air on Thursday, November 30th at 2:00 PM ET. There are three Evo's racing. Although not as exciting as last years race, it should still be a decent show.
Cheers,
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill be tuning in although not sure how much air time a car finishing in 13th will get. I have a feeling he Evos will fair much better next year.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Ill be tuning in although not sure how much air time a car finishing in 13th will get. I have a feeling he Evos will fair much better next year.

Yes, I agree MUCH BETTER
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:03 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Again,
Thought I'd supply a little background regarding my Runoffs. We arrived at Topeka for three days of scheduled testing prior to the race. My VIII had a new shock configuration on it and a fresh IX motor installed. (Not a swap for the faint of wallet.) The first session was spent learning the track, which by the way, sucks. Ten minutes into our second session the motor went off song and just as I lifted a small fire errupted and the windshield was coated with oil. Bottom line, a hole in the block you could put your fist through. We think the oil pump failed.
Al Friedman showed up and we took the head off to ship to Buschur Racing for valve repair. Thanks to David and Co., the head was back to us within three days. We ordered a new short block and Al lined up a local garage with a lift for us. Five days to get the motor. Called Dan Cokic at Pruven. He dropped everything, loaded his truck with tools and drove from Ct. to Kansas. Dan and Al pulled the old motor, assembled the new one and installed it. We had missed the first two days of qualifying. Without test time, I had to guess at the setup for day three and guessed wrong but we got twenty minutes of data and Al put a final tune on the car. Got a better setup for the last day of qualifying, but have sinced learned there was a lot more left with suspension tuning. We were hardly prepared but we did finish. Once again, MAJOR thanks to Dan at Pruven, Al from Dynoflash and David Buschur. Without these folks I'd have been spectating.
Cheers,
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

At least now Ill get to see some of that fancy driving going on up front that Ive heard so much about! Hopefully they showed some of the cars outside of the top 5

Marty
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

sounds like it wasn't the EVO's year this year, have the Subaru boys raised the bar that much higher or was it just down to rotten luck?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:48 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Paul,
Nice to hear from you again. This years Runoffs was painfull. The only good thing was that I only got tapped once this year vs damage to every panel last year. Tough to argue with Subaru factory support. The first Subie privateer was 15 seconds behind me. Got crowded to the outside at the start and spent three laps getting around a certain F-body that was looking for a way to crash in evey corner. That battle put the last factory Subie on my ***. He tapped my bumper and went on by. Once I was able to put my head down, the leaders were too far out there. Felt like being 7th in a 7 car race. I will PM you about some setup stuff. I could certainly use your help.
Cheers,.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
sounds like it wasn't the EVO's year this year, have the Subaru boys raised the bar that much higher or was it just down to rotten luck?
Hey Paul, What Bill said and even the Non factory backed Subie that was behind WTZ was last years National Championship winning car, so it was set up pretty well. 1. It's not an Evo friendly track like say a VIR, it kinda has that big autocross feel to it in several places. 2. Both Bill and I were just not set up to our full potential as far as the car goes and both of us had rotten luck with trying to get some decent track time to practice. My biggest mistake was putting an untested suspension (Ohlins) on AT the track. Id never run them before and threw them on and hoped for the best; I now know that id have been better off with my stock OEM struts. Since then, Ive had time to tinker with the Ohlins and they are now much better. We both could really use your help with suspension/handling set ups.

Marty
AMSPerformance.com-Sponsored
mgrand34@aol.com

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Nov 30, 2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, guys, Paul is busy helping the Warrtalon machine get ready for Time Trials!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Sorry, guys, Paul is busy helping the Warrtalon machine get ready for Time Trials!
Well Clayton, you did the smart thing, Most people seem to spend all this money on fancy suspensions and never get them properly set up.
Marty
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man, I regret not having DVR ...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

If nothing else, I will be properly 'set up.' The challenge then becomes driving it properly.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

If nothing else, I will be properly 'set up.' The challenge then becomes driving it properly.
I'm in the same boat; time to match my skills to the car

Thanks again Paul

Still have the DVD set to record the 3 hours Speed (NASCAR TV) has allowed !
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

The biggest thing the subies have on the Evos are properly re-worked "stock" struts....The suspensions that the scooby's have are just as good as custom coilover suspensions. MR struts, etc, are not going to hack it. Someone needs to come up with a solution for revalving the Evo struts.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 ... I've got a set of Ohlins that need to be Chrono/Vishnu spec'ed ... and set up according to their Street/Track setup ....

Quick Reply: SCCA Runoffs T2 race on Speed