Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Best used sports car under 30,000

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best used sports car under 30,000

Sometime next year I知 going to be buying a "new to me" sports car. I am considering three cars. 2002 Z06, 2001 M3, 2006 EVO. I went to Nissan and tried really hard to fit into a 350z and g35, but I知 just too tall (6"3'). It would be even worst when I have to wear a helmet and take it auto crossing or to the track. So what car would you guys pick and why? Oddly the Z06 is the cheapest to insure then the M3 and most expense to insure is the EVO. I'm looking for a nice Reliable car that痴 fast as *****, halls major ***, and then kicks some *** too. lol What would you do?

and you all know what an evo ix looks like
Old Dec 4, 2006, 03:39 AM
Account Disabled

If you don't need the car until January, wait for a 2005 Lotus Elise and they should be sub-$30K by then. Not the out and out horsepower of the EVO, but a fantastic car none the less. Little spartan for every day use though.

Feff
Old Dec 4, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

3 good choices.. hard to pick one, the z06 an evo have super potential, but the m3 is a classy car and has decent power potential. All 3 handle well, one is a rice rocket with a big wing, but its very hard to pass up an evo.. its such a fantastc all around car.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

IF you want to go fast on a road course for the minimum investment, go with the z06. they are formidable, pure and simple. the M3 takes significantly more suspension tuning, and the motor is tweakier in a track application. In my opinion, skip the Elise. they are good cars, but for an advanced driver to go very fast in. It is still very much a momentum car, and they can be a bit tale happy for a new high performance driver, I'm not sure what your level of experience is. Just my 2 cents.

2003 Evo 8
Muellerized RRC suspension, Ecutek tuned,
Sponsored by Race Place Motorsports indoor Karting
(Raceplacemotorsports.com) and Total Body Fitness (tbfracing.com)
2 2006 Wins, NASA Norcal Time Trial, TTA.

Last edited by Percywork; Dec 4, 2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 09:16 AM
Account Disabled

with an evo9, a full exhaust, boost controller and a flash with some race gas will be a dd 11sec reliable car...
Old Dec 4, 2006, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m3 with only a s/c charger cost's as much a fully built evo with top of the line parts...

z06 is sicker than the evo... get that

evo's are gay, who would drive one of those...
Old Dec 4, 2006, 02:49 PM

I posted this question here because I mainly wanted to see what evo owners would say after taking their cars to the track and if they wished they got something else. I am on the fence about what car I should buy. I really like the fact that the evo can compete with cars like the z06 and still have four doors and a trunk. One on the down sides of an evo is the cops. I am sure you guys know this well, cops in Cali should just make it illegal to drive Asian cars. A modded evo will surely get a tick 10 times quicker than a modded z06 and that痴 if the z06 even gets its hood popped. That痴 something I really like about the z06 from what I have heard cops don't really give them as hard time as the Asian cars. I own right now a 240sx with a sr20det and about 15g痴 in the suspension and engine. I知 tired of being scared every time I see a cop.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Keep them coming!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Man...that is a hard decision. Since your in Cali I will say Vette. Any of the other states it would be a tie between the Vette and Evo.

I do like how the Evo suprises most v8's.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Acura NSX, though I don't know how well they accommodate big fellers like you.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Feffman
If you don't need the car until January, wait for a 2005 Lotus Elise and they should be sub-$30K by then. Not the out and out horsepower of the EVO, but a fantastic car none the less. Little spartan for every day use though.

Feff

Not trying to be a jerk, but if he didnt fit in the 350z how is he going to fit in an Elise???

Id say if you want a track car, go with the Vette.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hard choice. First off only one is a sports car and thats the Vette. Great car and takes to mods well and a ton of parts out there for the C5. Only 2 seats though if thats an issue.

Evo and M3 both are true sports sedans. I would pick the Evo. It takes to mods real easy and is a lot of fun to drive. M3 if you want a DD that is an all around nice car that does everything pretty well.

Vette or Evo for me as you can see by my profile.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck
Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Z06, but make sure to get one that has never been tracked, modded, or wrecked.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

FD3S FTW!!!!! Get one in good condition for around 20k give or take a few thousand. Thought I don't know if u'd fit in it...I'd imagine not but ya never know.

opps I missed the part reliable....might not be reliable but it'll be fast if your willing to put up with it.

Last edited by HaVoK23; Dec 4, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my evo, but it comes down to what you're gonna do with it.

This IS the motorsports forum, so i take it you're gonna at least auto-x, if not take it to a real road course.

Of course the pricing on a used car is gonna be better than a brand new one, thats a given.

However, without knowledge of how you're gonna use it, if it's just a street car then why super mod it? just drive the thing. a daily commuter with utlity, the evo will take the cake on that. it gets groceries like a champion
Old Dec 5, 2006, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HaVoK23
FD3S FTW!!!!! Get one in good condition for around 20k give or take a few thousand. Thought I don't know if u'd fit in it...I'd imagine not but ya never know.

opps I missed the part reliable....might not be reliable but it'll be fast if your willing to put up with it.

Get the fd, but make sure you pick up a six pack of 13b engines as you will need to change them out every other oil change.

Quick Reply: Best used sports car under 30,000