Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

How to make an AWD car rotate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkyle
Paul, Marty,

Do you guys have any ideas on the effects of more bias weight in the rear of an evo.... the weight distribution in the current evo is like 60/40. What would the car be like at 50/50? by moving the full weight battery to the trunk and adding a fuel cell, could that help?

I've been reading "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by William F. Milliken (bible for race engineers) and I’m trying to extract as much as possible from the evo with all kinds of techniques. Shock dampening is shown as a % of the vehicles overall characteristics... Milliken feels that the balance / weight placement / roll height / roll center / alignment and tires are most crucial to the vehicles ability to be neutral.

Possibly looking at the overall picture of the evo’s weight distribution might help.

I could be just talking out of my *** but I’m learning and I really like all the great input everyone has interjected.

-Kyle

In Touring, you are not allowed to relocate the battery from stock location and it must remain OEM size. You can swap out the gas tank for a fuel cell but it has to be in the stock location as well. As far as roll height, some of the guys were able to come in 100lbs or so under the minimum weight and then put metal plates on the passenger side floor (which is the only place allowed per the rules) so you cant put the plates in the trunk to adjust the weight distribution, but you can put the spare tire back in. Its kinda funny in touring, the rules are designed to keep the costs down but in reality it has really aided the teams that can afford to pay people to be creative (custom valving etc..) and hurts those of us that cant afford 2k per strut (which is what im told the Suby struts cost). If they just said coilovers were allowed, you could go out spend under 4k and be right there with the top teams. They would never allow this in touring classes, but if they did the evo would likely benefit the most and would be the dominate car in the field.
Ill try to pick up his book, sounds interesting. Im sure all the theory is solid, the hard part is how he tells you how to achieve it while being hampered by Touring rules.

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Dec 14, 2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
In Touring, you are not allowed to relocate the battery from stock location and it must remain OEM size. You can swap out the gas tank for a fuel cell but it has to be in the stock location as well. As far as roll height, some of the guys were able to come in 100lbs or so under the minimum weight and then put metal plates on the passenger side floor (which is the only place allowed per the rules) so you cant put the plates in the trunk to adjust the weight distribution, but you can put the spare tire back in. Its kinda funny in touring, the rules are designed to keep the costs down but in reality it has really aided the teams that can afford to pay people to be creative (custom valving etc..) and hurts those of us that cant afford 2k per strut (which is what im told the Suby struts cost). If they just said coilovers were allowed, you could go out spend under 4k and be right there with the top teams. They would never allow this in touring classes, but if they did the evo would likely benefit the most and would be the dominate car in the field.
Ill try to pick up his book, sounds interesting. Im sure all the theory is solid, the hard part is how he tells you how to achieve it while being hampered by Touring rules.
I really recommend the book... its a huge expensive read but worth it. 40% of the material is over my head but it really makes you think when you read about all the different methods other types of race cars use to achive there goals and how it can be applied to the AWD Evo.

-Kyle
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Russ, I just had all my stuff from Paul installed up at Ft Collins where they have all the crazy equipment for doing this stuff. They re-valve the Ohlins right there, so I'm sure you can still get it done. Paul himself doesn't do the re-valving, but his guys at CSU do it all the time. I can get you in touch with Robbie, the guy who worked with Joe and Paul from the beginning on all this stuff and who is still up there doing the re-valves on all the Vishnu Ohlins orders. He's a good guy and lives in Denver (his parents), so he's back and forth from there to Ft Collins.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Clay, I don't have Ohlins but if they could FLT-A2's, that would be awesome!
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Pretty sure they can re-valve anything, and they have a shock dyno to verify everything as well as tons of shims, but I don't know how much they've done it with other shocks. My guess is they could do it no problem, but Joe or Paul would know for sure. I can also get you in touch with Robbie directly, since he does the re-valving himself.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I find it hard to believe that I have the only Evo that rotates easily...but we are usually trying to decrease oversteer in my car, not increase it.

VJ, a grand am driver, drove my car and thought it handled way too loose. But of course, then he saw how good our tire wear was in the 25 and understood the philosophy.

There's a couple of things you have to do to make the Evo handle right, but luckily none of them are very expensive, though you do have to face some compromises, especially in a street car.

Mostly, it comes down to careful spring selection, shock tuning, correcting the geometry, and playing with the diffs.

-dave
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

The correcting the geometry and playing with the diffs part is the black art....
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I find it hard to believe that I have the only Evo that rotates easily...but we are usually trying to decrease oversteer in my car, not increase it.

VJ, a grand am driver, drove my car and thought it handled way too loose. But of course, then he saw how good our tire wear was in the 25 and understood the philosophy.

There's a couple of things you have to do to make the Evo handle right, but luckily none of them are very expensive, though you do have to face some compromises, especially in a street car.

Mostly, it comes down to careful spring selection, shock tuning, correcting the geometry, and playing with the diffs.

-dave
You don't, but on the SCCA T2 level, we can only do shock tuning and alignments. I think if we could play with the springs and possibly sway bars these cars would be monsters.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
You don't, but on the SCCA T2 level, we can only do shock tuning and alignments. I think if we could play with the springs and possibly sway bars these cars would be monsters.

Agreed! Just those two parts would put us up front.

Marty
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Time to get creative...

Is T2 allowed to shim the rear diff?

An example of how to get around the rules from pro7 is that you are not allowed to remove the front sway bar if it rains. However, there is no rule against using extra long sway bar bolts and backing off on the nylocks until there is 2" of slop in the bolt...same thing, but within the rules.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ustcc evo
Time to get creative...

Is T2 allowed to shim the rear diff?

An example of how to get around the rules from pro7 is that you are not allowed to remove the front sway bar if it rains. However, there is no rule against using extra long sway bar bolts and backing off on the nylocks until there is 2" of slop in the bolt...same thing, but within the rules.
They don't teach that at Carnegie Mellon

Last edited by meanmud; Dec 15, 2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
I really recommend the book...

-Kyle
It is an excellent book. Mind opening the first time through and perfect for reference.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:37 AM
Account Disabled

David,

Mind sharing what spring rates work well for you and what type of struts you run?

Thanks!

Kyle
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I'm running the same spring rates as many others, about 50 lbs heavier in the rear, and somewhere between 550lb and 800lb depending on tires, weather, driver, etc.

Shocks we have experimented with through the season have included JIC FLT A2, DMS50, KW, and Ohlins. All I can tell you about what we actually use is that they come from Robispec and changed depending on the track, driver, methodology, etc. At the end of the day, we found you can make any shock perform decently, but generally the more you spend the better it gets. You can't race competitively on a $2000 set of coilovers, but you also don't have to spend $10k on Penskes to make your car handle well.

There seems to be a number of products in the $3k to $6k range that all perform very well. Having a guy like Robert Fuller on board to help you meet your application and budget goals definitely helps save time, money, and frustration.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Couple Pics from Runoffs

Keep in mind I just put the Ohlins on, no tuning and as it turned out I had 1.5 inchs LESS preload than stock up front. I have since fixed that issue and the car feels much better. Hmmmm obviously there Mr Clayton I am having technical difficulties There are 3 pictures there one looks damn small, but just Click on the pics and they will get up to size !!
Marty
Attached Thumbnails How to make an AWD car rotate-evo-smaller1.jpg   How to make an AWD car rotate-evosmall2.jpg   How to make an AWD car rotate-evosmaller3.jpg  

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Dec 15, 2006 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: How to make an AWD car rotate