Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

How to make an AWD car rotate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make an AWD car rotate

STaSiS engineering has it right...

In car video with Chip Herr at Miller Motorsports park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLSPGdeinQ

Notice how the car has ZERO understeer... i've never seen any in car video from an evo that looks like this. I called STaSIS and they said they work with the rear diff and rear valving to help with this. They also said its alot of Chip using left foot braking.

-Kyle
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With just a Cusco rear swaybar, an aggressive alignment (including rear toe-out), and lots of trailbraking & left-foot braking, I find even my relatively stock 2003 Evo VIII is pretty neutral. With properly tuned coilovers and the appropriate driving style, there's no reason why a track-prepped Evo should understeer.

Emre
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

No understeer...but a good deal of oversteer on exit....this car would be difficult for the average driver...but as they say, loose is fast, if you can catch it.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Percywork
No understeer...but a good deal of oversteer on exit....this car would be difficult for the average driver...but as they say, loose is fast, if you can catch it.
"Loose is fast" amen....
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, amazing stuff. Really notice how he used the whole track to 'track-out' of turns. I think he hits every possible rumble strip to untilize the entire track.

Curious as to the powerplant setup of the car as well.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Percywork
Depends on your background. I've driven RWD cars for at least 15 years before I got my Evo. Once you get used to how RWD cars behave on the track, you crave a bit of oversteer at corner exit.

Emre
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I don't ever seem to have too much understeer.... For me, it seems to be easily controllable by doing the following:

(Turn 1 at Road America)
Corner is a 80 or so degree to the right. Entry speed is around 60-80mph. Brake hard coming down from 145, start braking at marker #4. (#5 if you want to play a little safer). Get into 4th, just at about corner entry. As you turn in, lift off brake and apply a little throttle. Once you feel the car settle into the corner "groove", squeeze the throttle to 100%. The car then feels like it "pushes" the rear end of it through the corner, creating a touch of oversteer on corner exit.

There's been times I've lit all 4 coming out of a corner using this method, and I'm not pushing any crazy amounts of HP.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

I also didnt have an understeer issues until I started driving 10/10ths. I want to make it clear that understeer in the evo sometimes doesnt show its ugly head until you start pushing the car past its limits.

all im trying to say is that evo's dont handle like that audi.... someone please prove me wrong by posting a video... I'm talking about corner exit push BTW.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I understeer all over the place with corner exit push and with late braking while trying to get every last millisecond of acceleration before the next corner. I guess I overdrive, but understeer is very apparent all the time with me, or at least it was at every event with the stock suspension.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, I understeer all over the place with corner exit push and with late braking while trying to get every last millisecond of acceleration before the next corner. I guess I overdrive, but understeer is very apparent all the time with me, or at least it was at every event with the stock suspension.
I agree 100%

adding 275 Hoosiers 1400kg springs in the rear and a 27mm rear swaybar will win time trails and be the fast car on the track... but it wont be as fast as a car that can rotate like that STaSIS audi.

I think we need to start getting creative

I'm going to try some crazy toe out front and rear ... maybe -1.30 F -1.20 R

-Kyle

Last edited by kingkyle; Dec 12, 2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The key for me has been to load up the suspension very smoothly at corner entry (usually aided by a generous amount of trailbraking) and to hold it until the rear is fully loaded and just starting to slide. Then, adding gentle throttle and lightly unwinding the wheel will stabilize the car in a 4-wheel drift through the middle of the corner. Adding more throttle will destabilize the 4-wheel drift and start to get the rear moving again. In a way, the car rotates at corner entry, then stops rotating at mid-corner, then starts rotating again at corner exit. Not ideal...and not necessarily the fastest way around the corner...but it sure is fun!

Originally Posted by kingkyle
I'm going to try some crazy toe out front and rear ... maybe -1.30 F -1.20 R
I run a significant amount of toe-out all around. It really helps get the rear into the action. However, it does make the car a bit unstable under hard braking. You have to really watch where your wheels are pointed! Personally, I love it, as it lets me rotate the car under trailbraking with great ease. You just have to watch it in the wet. On top of that, you get some pretty serious inner-tire wear (especially up front). Our cars seem very sensitive to front toe-out.

Emre
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Its not to hard to do, but it does cost some $$$

List of Parts:
Coilovers 12k Front, 14k Rear (Give or take 2k depending on driver or track), on something that can handle them JIC FLA2 revalved. Motons, Ohlins.

Front Sway Bar Cusco 21mm Or GSC Comp Bars (Avalible 2-10-07)
Rear Sway Bar Cusco 23mm, Hotchkis Rear, Progress Rear Or GSC Comp Bars (Avalible 2-10-07)

1/2" front wheel spacers With ARP Wheel studs the further out you can push them the better. if ur on stock wheels 3/4"

Front LSD for 03, 04 cars (excluding RS)
40/60 GSC Center Diff ( Now avalible)

boom their you go, one overstear capable EVO
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
i knew that was coming... lol...

send mine now biznitch!

n
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kingkyle
STaSiS engineering has it right...

In car video with Chip Herr at Miller Motorsports park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLSPGdeinQ

Notice how the car has ZERO understeer... i've never seen any in car video from an evo that looks like this. I called STaSIS and they said they work with the rear diff and rear valving to help with this. They also said its alot of Chip using left foot braking.

-Kyle
uhh Kyle...remember riding in my car at Pueblo!?! no LFB (needed) and no understeer
Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GregGSC
details please!

Quick Reply: How to make an AWD car rotate