Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, those replies were just the kind of information I was looking for. Although I am interested in modifying my car beyond STU spec, I just may end up pulling back into STU. Like NJ drive stated, it probably fits my budget and skill level better anyhow, and I will be more inclined to focus on improving my driving than making excuses for more extensive upgrades, at least for now.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old Hoosiers 285/30/18's are looking very appealing to me right now for the price. My initial plan before finding out about this deal was to get a set of 710 for the regular season and a set of A6 just before Nats. Now I'm stuck between the old hoosier and the 710 for regular season. Anyone with first hand experience on them with 285/18 format and proper camber, how long did they last or how well compared to the 710?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the V710s will be faster and will last longer, but the AS305s will cost less than half for the tires alone. I only have personal experience with the 285/30 on the V710, though.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by madmax199
The old Hoosiers 285/30/18's are looking very appealing to me right now for the price. My initial plan before finding out about this deal was to get a set of 710 for the regular season and a set of A6 just before Nats. Now I'm stuck between the old hoosier and the 710 for regular season. Anyone with first hand experience on them with 285/18 format and proper camber, how long did they last or how well compared to the 710?
Generally speaking...

Part of the reason the A3S05s are priced so low is due to a large "overstock" of these tires in wherehouses. The A3S05's were also heavily critisized for a number of reasons. (tread life and uneven wear come to mind, but don't quote me on this...)

I liken this deal to undervalued shares of stock... Are these tires a replacement for the $200+ Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710? Absolutely not. Are they undervalued at $99 a pop? Probably. (285/30/18)

If one were to purchase these tires, heat cycling will be mandatory to prolong the life of the tires (a little).

If I had the funds I would go with the V710s for the season (last a long time if properly heat cycled and maintained) and the A6's for Nats (supposed to be ballar sticky).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
weren't the A3S05's known for decent grip, but more importantly going off very quickly and cording after very few runs?

The A6 is finally better than the V710 in terms of grip, but from what I hear they do not heat cycle nearly as well and their overall life is still shorter than the 710.
A6s are definitely faster then 710s, but there are few catches that go along with it. 710s are much more forgiving so mistakes are not going to be as expensive as with A6s, but you will get more overall grip from Hoosiers. So, for an average driver, I think Kumho is a better choice, but if you want to be fastest I would go with the A6s.

Now on the other hand, Hoosiers are not going to come even close to the 200 runs of the 710s that we did last year. Well, the latest set of A6s are still far from being done and if the car didn't break they would get much more runs, so there will have to be another season somewhere in here for more testing!

Fedja
ps. all of the above comes from the 285/30/18s since those are the only one we used!

Last edited by MrAWD; Feb 6, 2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
A6s are definitely faster then 710s, but there are few catches that go along with it. 710s are much more forgiving so mistakes are not going to be as expensive as with A6s, but you will get more overall grip from Hoosiers. So, for an average driver, I think Kumho is a better choice, but if you want to be fastest I would go with the A6s.

Now on the other hand, Hoosiers are not going to come even close to the 200 runs of the 710s that we did last year. Well, the latest set of A6s are still far from being done and if the car didn't break they would get much more runs, so there will have to be another season somewhere in here for more testing!

Fedja
ps. all of the above comes from the 285/30/18s since those are the only one we used!
ok this is the 3rd time I have to rewrite this...my son has a big affinity for slamming the keyboard at the perfect time

We know the Hoosiers are faster than V710, they are also a little more expensive in the 285/30-18 size ($285 vs $269, $64/set). But if I plan to attend a Tour w/codrive and 2 Pro's then things change a little when you look at Contingency. Best case scenario, if I run Kumho's and 1-2 the Tour and win both Pro's that would be $1100 in contingency, just enough for a fresh set of 710's. Don't forget Kumho doesn't have any good rain tires, so your kind of SOL should you choose to run Hoosier wet's. The same situation with Hoosier gets you 7 tires!

Now say I get 2nd at the Pro's and we 1-2 the Tour. Well you still have 5 Hoosiers, but you're down to $900 from Kumho.

Pretty interesting. BTW, I'm running in BSP. If I were running in SM, I would not be thinking I could win these events in the NE, since we all know Daddio is coming back out to play.

John
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

It strikes me interesting that you thing you can win all those events in BSP for the New England region. We are talking Devens and Peru as the closest Tours to NE and you have three ProSolos close by in DC, Toledo, and NY. I am not sure that I know you so that is why I think that might be harder then it looks like to achieve!

Regional events in NE have different level of competition, but as soon as you get to the Tour or a Pro, things change dramatically. All best for you and your plans!

Anyway, what I was trying to say is for you to win on National level events, you might need faster tire, since cheaper one might not cut it...

Fedja

Last edited by MrAWD; Feb 7, 2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Since I know both of you you, I will step in here. All I will say is that I think it will be a really good battle in BSP if you both are running there.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Also at a national level, you probably want the fastest tire available since you spend a whole lot more going to these events than just the tire bill.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

By the way, has anyone come across any 18x9.5 or 18x10 rims that weigh less than 14lbs per rim?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
It strikes me interesting that you thing you can win all those events in BSP for the New England region. We are talking Devens and Peru as the closest Tours to NE and you have three ProSolos close by in DC, Toledo, and NY. I am not sure that I know you so that is why I think that might be harder then it looks like to achieve!

Regional events in NE have different level of competition, but as soon as you get to the Tour or a Pro, things change dramatically. All best for you and your plans!

Fedja
Fedja,
Please note I began the statement with "Best case scenario...", it is best case b/c it is optimistic, but not entirely so.

Last year at the Devens Tour Steve Hazard put a whooping on me in the rain. Lack of decent tires and a susp that was more or less setup to snap-spin did not help me there, it was all I could do to keep the car straight. In the dry we were much closer, IIRC he was only about 0.1 ahead of me, and 0.7 total.

At the DC Pro (my first) I was only 0.3 behind Piccone, total time. Both of us were faster than Junior in his ASP vette too.

Anyhow, the real point of my post was that the contingency benefits of running Hoosier's far outweighs the Kumho's, and being that the Hoosier's are faster, they give you an even better chance at getting more tires.

John
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markdaddio
By the way, has anyone come across any 18x9.5 or 18x10 rims that weigh less than 14lbs per rim?
Evolutionary has been on a quest for lightweight wheels, you may want to PM him.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Since I know both of you you, I will step in here. All I will say is that I think it will be a really good battle in BSP if you both are running there.
Unless, someone managed to move DSMs to BSP, I have no intention of running there, so John is all set!!

Fedja
ps. great to hear you will be back to autoX world again!!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Anyhow, the real point of my post was that the contingency benefits of running Hoosier's far outweighs the Kumho's, and being that the Hoosier's are faster, they give you an even better chance at getting more tires.
I guess we are on the same page then!!

Good luck this year!

Fedja
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Let me know when you find them.

Dave

Quick Reply: Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build