Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markdaddio
I was hoping you weren't. And as far as I am concerned, bring it on. I crave competition.
LOL "Tarzan" wouldn't stand a chance. But hey, it could be a highly publicized event.... "Tarzan takes on the The Alien, will Tokyo survive?"

Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry, I've been watching alot of Initial D lately.

Anyway, back to real life - does anyone currently make titanium or magnesium knuckles/spindles for the EVO? I know there are several companies that make adjustable front and rear control arms, but have never seen aftermarket spindles.

On the lightweight topic, why don't they make titanium wheels? Is it just a cost issue, or a manufacturing process issue?

My ADD is kicking in, back on the drifting topic, is autocross a good springboard for other forms of racing/motorsports? I was looking through the back of the rulebook at past National Champions and after I got done reading Mark's name over and over ( ) I happened to notice Taka Aono as a multi-time champion. He is now a professional drifter on the Formula D circuit . . . . I need to get my Supra running so I can start practicing my drift technique!!

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Interesting. Seems some folks run a 10" wheel and sacrifice a little weight, and alot of others run a 9.5" wheel and sacrifice a little bit of contact patch.

Do you think the lighter 9.5's have an advantage, or do you think that both options would be pretty even as far as perfomance potential?

On the topic of CF driveshaft, Andy said that you talked with him a little bit about the flex issue. Do you think at the lower power levels we're at that it would be as noticeable as on the higher HP time attack car? Maybe an aluminum shaft would be optimal, that is if DriveShaftShop ever gets around to producing it. . .
Interesting note on wheel width. I saw some pics of the El Toro ProSolo and the Berry BSP (former showcase) car was running the 5Zigen 18x9.5's front and rear. Maybe Tom can chime in and tell us why.

My only assumption is with all the codrivers in that car they run them in order to be able to rotate the tires on the car since the fronts take a good beating. Didn't seem to slow them down any.

John
Old Mar 31, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Got me interested, but I'd still be more skeered of the likes of daddio, salerno, etc in the parking lot...

btw, looking forward to see if I can get Jan's car close to Mark tomorrow...

Jan's car had mechanical difficulties today.

Jan and Kevin ended up using Hugo's car and my car for the second half of the day at E-Town.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

crap. what happened to it? Was looking forward to running him tomorrow.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

him seemed pretty sure he was still going tomorrow after asking if i was going.

dont know what happened since he had drive home in it lol.

hopefully i can come hang out with u guys. i switched back to my stockers for the rest of the week.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by markdaddio
crap. what happened to it? Was looking forward to running him tomorrow.

I didn't get the full story... but Jan described it as "having a problem turning".

Hopefully nothing that can't be fixed tonight.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

We (Jan and I) are still going. Jan and Kevin corded his A6's today. We'll be running my 285 V710's tomorrow. We are working on getting Jan's car turning well. It certainly doesn't have issues accelerating.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

We (Jan and I) are still going. Jan and Kevin corded his A6's today. We'll be running my 285 V710's tomorrow. We are working on getting Jan's car turning well. It certainly doesn't have issues accelerating.

What is/was the problem with Jan's car?

Results from today:

http://www.autox4u.com/2007results/3312007nnjr.htm
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
What is/was the problem with Jan's car?

Results from today:

http://www.autox4u.com/2007results/3312007nnjr.htm
Jan didn't tell me about any other issues with the car. Those A6's were his set from last year.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I've been watching alot of Initial D lately.

Anyway, back to real life - does anyone currently make titanium or magnesium knuckles/spindles for the EVO? I know there are several companies that make adjustable front and rear control arms, but have never seen aftermarket spindles.

On the lightweight topic, why don't they make titanium wheels? Is it just a cost issue, or a manufacturing process issue?

My ADD is kicking in, back on the drifting topic, is autocross a good springboard for other forms of racing/motorsports? I was looking through the back of the rulebook at past National Champions and after I got done reading Mark's name over and over ( ) I happened to notice Taka Aono as a multi-time champion. He is now a professional drifter on the Formula D circuit . . . . I need to get my Supra running so I can start practicing my drift technique!!

EVOlutionary
I think if you develop the skills to be consistantly fast at autocross, that is a good first step to being a professional driver. The big thing that most people forget is the money and committment of time that is also required. Many "professional" racers are not really professional at all. They are paying to race those cars, or are renting out a second car to pay for their racing. In world challange, or Koni grand am cup for example, Maybe 10% of those guys are actually paid to drive. (That is probably being really generous). Randy Pobst, and Jeff Altenburg are two autocrossers that I believe are actually paid to drive. They are both very good, and I have run with Jeff quite a bit in the past. Driving skill is only part of the equation. How you market yourself is the bigger part. You need both, and a bit of luck to boot. It is probably easier to be a pro football or baseball player, than to be a paid road racer in this country. There are certainly fewer of them.
Mark
Old Apr 2, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

For those of you with abs, what would be the effect of disabling the ABS by pulling the relay under the wood? While at an autocross this week-end, I saw a guy do this to his evo and swore by the positive effects. I wanted to hear what you guys think about it or if any of you have tried it.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Interesting note on wheel width. I saw some pics of the El Toro ProSolo and the Berry BSP (former showcase) car was running the 5Zigen 18x9.5's front and rear. Maybe Tom can chime in and tell us why.

My only assumption is with all the codrivers in that car they run them in order to be able to rotate the tires on the car since the fronts take a good beating. Didn't seem to slow them down any.

John
Nothing special. The second set of wheels had new tires on them.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
EVOlutionary
The main reason is Ti wheels would be heavier.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

do those of you w/ acd run aftermarket front diffs?

sorry if its a n00b question but i'm new to the whole autox thing, i'm a converted drag racer ...also, would you recommend doing a bumpsteer kit and trailing arm bushings to a noob such as myself? would i gain much/notice a diff. i'm running a set of muellerized buddy clubs and an RRC 25mm rear sb just in case you needed to know

Quick Reply: Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build