Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride
So you do real wheel-to-wheel racing?
Not yet, but that's what I'm working towards. You can't start there.

I enjoy the intensity of auto-x, but it only lasts 60 seconds. That's not a good enough trade-off for an entire day spent at the event away from my family. I spend an hour switching my alignment and tires/rims, but I only get to use them for 4 minutes of driving. I was not saying that "seat time" was more important. I was saying that I have fun when I'm actually driving, and I get to do more of it at a track event. I prefer to spend more of my time having fun driving at full tilt for as long as I can.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As mentioned above, the Kumhos are better than 2 year old A3S05's, and the A6's are better than the Kumhos. The cheap 05's would be a great tire for someone on a budget to start the year on or to finally make that leap to R-compounds. They will definitely not be the fastest tire, but they will still smoke any 100+ treadwear rating tire.

Back on topic -

So what is everyone working on for this year for Street Mod? Power, handling, driver improvement? That is what this thread was intended for.

If you had to start from scratch, would you pick the EVO for a Street Mod competitor?? Do you think it is possible to beat the Bimmers?

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I am building mine, have the power down, now its time for tires, rims and coilovers, tires I think I am going to order the hoosiers on monday to start and then I have to decide on the other two...
Old Feb 4, 2007, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

weren't the A3S05's known for decent grip, but more importantly going off very quickly and cording after very few runs?

The A6 is finally better than the V710 in terms of grip, but from what I hear they do not heat cycle nearly as well and their overall life is still shorter than the 710.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
weren't the A3S05's known for decent grip, but more importantly going off very quickly and cording after very few runs?
That was my understanding too - but the majority of negative info I heard about the AS205 was from stock - i.e. camber challenged cars - that tore through the tires in 25 runs or so. A few GS Mini drivers come to mind.

Perhaps on a car with better alignment the tires would last signifigantly longer.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek

The A6 is finally better than the V710 in terms of grip, but from what I hear they do not heat cycle nearly as well and their overall life is still shorter than the 710.
That is what I have heard also.

BTW, I have seen a set of A6's corded in as fast as 30 runs even on a lightweight CSP car. . . and the V710's usually go for 60-80 runs or more . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 4, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
BTW, I have seen a set of A6's corded in as fast as 30 runs even on a lightweight CSP car. . . and the V710's usually go for 60-80 runs or more . . .

EVOlutionary

Ha, that's nothing! I pushed a set of RA-1's for 250+ runs, and this past year a set of V700's for 200+ runs! Now that's abuse Poor tires never stood a chance. Of course, for the last 80 runs or so, it was a pleasure putting my street tires back on at the end of events because it restored grip into the car.

All in good fun.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

If you had to start from scratch, would you pick the EVO for a Street Mod competitor?? Do you think it is possible to beat the Bimmers?
Well, that's the thing. I wouldn't pick a car just for winning SM anyway. I have an Evo, and that dictates what class I'm in based off my power mods, so I race in SM by default. I would not buy/build a car just to compete in SM. I love my Evo, and it just happens to put me in SM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

It was just hypothetical. I don't think there is anyone who specifically bought an EVO just to try to win SM, except maybe Eric Stemler. I don't really know if he ran it in other classes or ever used it as a daily driver, but I don't think so.

I bought the EVO as a sporty, decent gas mileage daily driver and within a month of owning it was invited out to my first autocross. The rest is history. Now it is a dedicated SM car, but I still drive it to work when it's not in the shop. Every $$ I spend on it is aimed toward making it faster around the AX track. How it handles on the streets or on a road course is secondary to autocross at this point.

If I were to start over and build a car to compete in SM, it would be another EVO. There are a few things I've learned along the way that I would do differently, but overall the car would very much resemble the one I have now. Biggest difference, I would start with an EVO 9SE, as I believe it is the only EVO that comes with an aluminum roof, 5 speed, and ABS. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 4, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the SE is the ultimate Evo to own, imo. If I could get my 05 back to stock, sell it, and get a IX SE from SouthCoast, that's what I'd do...

I have done some good things over the Winter to be more competitive in SM, but unlike you, I do not make every change for the purpose of getting better for SM. I set my car up to do well at time trials in NASA, and then whatever benefit those changes give me for auto-x are a bonus. I drive it daily as my primary car, so it's just a regular Evo that has a little power and a good suspension. The baby seat is in the back, and it's covered in dirt/salt/sand from all the snow we've had up here recently...
Old Feb 4, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

It was just hypothetical. I don't think there is anyone who specifically bought an EVO just to try to win SM, except maybe Eric Stemler. I don't really know if he ran it in other classes or ever used it as a daily driver, but I don't think so.

EVOlutionary
Eric ran his 03' Evo in ESP for a couple of years before SM. I'm not sure you could say he ran in SM because at the whp he was at, the car never stayed together.

Dave
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not yet, but that's what I'm working towards. You can't start there.

I enjoy the intensity of auto-x, but it only lasts 60 seconds. That's not a good enough trade-off for an entire day spent at the event away from my family. I spend an hour switching my alignment and tires/rims, but I only get to use them for 4 minutes of driving. I was not saying that "seat time" was more important. I was saying that I have fun when I'm actually driving, and I get to do more of it at a track event. I prefer to spend more of my time having fun driving at full tilt for as long as I can.
Ouch, I feel your pain!
We usually get a minimum of 8, maximum of 10, ~45 second runs here in NJ.
I agree that road course time is the best money spent per fun-factor-minute
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I can get more runs at non-SCCA events, but if it's not SCCA (or other high-level competition auto-x), then it doesn't interest me. If I could find a nationally sanctioned racing body that held autocrosses with 8-10 runs each event, I'd be all over it.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I can get more runs at non-SCCA events, but if it's not SCCA (or other high-level competition auto-x), then it doesn't interest me. If I could find a nationally sanctioned racing body that held autocrosses with 8-10 runs each event, I'd be all over it.
ProSolo - at least 12 runs, starting from a christmas tree with a full drag race launch! With your drag background you'd be good at it.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

I know, and that's what I hoped to do this year until I found out they nixed the series and only have 3 National events that are dual-course, none of which are within 1000 miles of me, and I have to "compete" in two of them just to qualify for the Finale. Huge bummer, because I was way more stoked about the Pro than Solo...oh well.

Quick Reply: Autocross EVO - Street Modified Build