Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, thanks guys.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, so after having looked at the suggestions I am now at this point:

The only pads that seem to be in my range are a set of those PMU MAX900s. My question is if I use these as a dedicated track pad, will they work well? I brake hard, ~350whp, no R-comps, and I have cooling ducts/Motul.

I think this will be my most feaseable option. I'd really like to make a step up from the HP+s but don't have the money to go too extreme (in school, just bought a house, married). The HP+ are okay but dont really cut it at CMP.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:16 AM
Former Sponsor

"What I use is the best"

Most all current race pads are very good. The key is running them in the temperature it is designed for.

Overheating a pad generally makes it wear out very quickly (and fade) - and then eventually eat the rotors

Underheating it leads to poor braking performance and seriously accelerated rotor wear.

If you had unlimited budget - you'd run differnt pads depending on the track - the weather - your tires/experience etc. While expensive - there is no substitute for some trial and error.

But adding power, getting better tires, better at driving....leads to changing needs so it can be hard to get the right one for you.

I would say that if you are planning to regualrly track your car then combo pads are really not a great solution.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

gotcha. So what do you think about my post just above? anyone w/ input on those Project Mu pads?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
Yeah, so after having looked at the suggestions I am now at this point:

The only pads that seem to be in my range are a set of those PMU MAX900s. My question is if I use these as a dedicated track pad, will they work well? I brake hard, ~350whp, no R-comps, and I have cooling ducts/Motul.

I think this will be my most feaseable option. I'd really like to make a step up from the HP+s but don't have the money to go too extreme (in school, just bought a house, married). The HP+ are okay but dont really cut it at CMP.

Not many pads can cut it at CMP. That track is wicked hard on brakes and being located in the middle of a damned heat wave cursed part of the country doesn't help. There's no way HP+ would handle that place.

I know a lot of people will vote against it because of "corrosive material", but I put my vote out there for Hawk Blues 9012. Front only, and run HP+ (or some other performance street pad, I run DS2500) on the rear. I suprisingly get very long rotor life with the Blues and maybe it's because of the Evo's aero setup, but I also get very little residue from the pads on the fenders, usually none at all. Blues are very cheap as far as race compounds go and are easy to get up to temp even with street tires. In fact their heat range is a little lower than some other pads.

Now I can't lie and say I didn't fade the Blues at CMP last July...but it was July and it was about 105F outside. It was torture out there. I faded them, boiled fluid, lost brakes the whole nine yards, but I was also on RA1's and no brake ducts.

Edit for Addtl info: I'll get around 8-10 track days out of a set of Blues. This is running with OEM non-drilled, non-slotted rotors. I ran slotted rotors once and killed a nice new set of pads in a single day. Never again, **** is too expensive.

Last edited by mayhem; Feb 1, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

^ good post

I ran blues w/ similar results. For having such a bad rap they sell a LOT of them.

They only eat rotors WHEN RUN TOO COLD. Otherwise they are a pretty good track pad - especially for semi beginners/street tires/lapping day type stuff.

They last a long time too - if RUN IN TEMPERATURE.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
Account Disabled

Honki:

I used to run the Carbotech Panther XP Plus on my 400HP Lotus Esprit V8 and they'd last 2-3 track days plus driving on the street. Maybe an option for you.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

cool, thanks guys.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool, thanks guys.
honki, not to steal your thread, but i have a question.

I run the HT10's right now, and they never have faded, but i burned through the better part of a set in one day. This is racing out here at the Miller Motorsports Park.

I loved that there was no fade, and I could brake as deeply as I wanted to, but they are like $250 a set! How much are the blues, i really like hawk, but if the blues are uber expensive, i may need to find a new company.

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Blues are ~$210/set for the front. That's about the price I get from raceshopper.com, but I'll be ordering stuff from EvoBrakes in the future.

What kind of rotors were you using when the wear happened? Cooling, R-comps?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Blues are ~$210/set for the front. That's about the price I get from raceshopper.com, but I'll be ordering stuff from EvoBrakes in the future.

What kind of rotors were you using when the wear happened? Cooling, R-comps?
The car was on some used 225 hoosiers with no ducting or even the plastic MR brake cooling flaps. The dust sheilds were still on. Stock rotors. But ambient that day was like 50*, so it wasn't hot at all.

This season the cooling will be beefed up, and with 2 piece rotors (perahps the RB's), but i will still be on r-comps, 255 A048 Advans.

Hopefully with the cooling, wear will be less. One of the front calipers wore through about 75% of the pad, while the other three only wore through about 50%. Not sure if i have some sort of issue there. I have an RS with no ABS. Suggestions? Comments?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

The hoosiers provide lots of grip and didn't help with the wear, but I'd poke around and see what kind of life other people are getting out of HT10s. I thought I read somewhere that people were getting chunking problems with those pads.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

The hoosiers provide lots of grip and didn't help with the wear, but I'd poke around and see what kind of life other people are getting out of HT10s. I thought I read somewhere that people were getting chunking problems with those pads.
I agree, no chunking here, and two of my other buddies were running them. They only went through about 50% of theirs, i just had that one freak weel that wore down about 70%.

Will cooling help with excess wear? I brake late. And if i don't, my friends will pass me, and that's worse than having to buy new pads...lol.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

The HT-10's are good pads - but they do seem to wear pretty quick for some users.

I'll be trying a set in Feb at VIR. (There are no DTC's in my pad shape)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOBrakes
The HT-10's are good pads - but they do seem to wear pretty quick for some users.

I'll be trying a set in Feb at VIR. (There are no DTC's in my pad shape)
How is the wear on the dtc's? I noticed they are not too much more than the HT10's.

Just looking to get some mileage out of my pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads