Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DTCs wear great. I actually got 5 events out my last set of front DTC70s.
Here's a list of the tracks, track miles, and tires used to give you an idea of how much use I got out of them. Hardest on brakes was Laguna Seca, then Thunderhill, then Infineon. I'm guessing that if I used the DTCs at just Laguna, they'd probably only last 2-3 days.

Thunderhill 143.1 RA1
Infineon 88.9 RA1
Infineon 132.9 RA1
Thunderhill 102.3 Azeni
Laguna 119.8 RA1

And I've had the same set of DTC60s in the rear for my last 8 events. They're probably good for another 2-3 events.. maybe more.

Last edited by marksae; Feb 3, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
If you have a lot of power and a lot of grip, get some race pads for the track. Crossover pads won't cut it.
+1, it sounds as if you're ready to take it to the next level, you have to have a set of track pads.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

The DTCs wear great. I actually got 5 events out my last set of front DTC70s.
Here's a list of the tracks, track miles, and tires used to give you an idea of how much use I got out of them. Hardest on brakes was Laguna Seca, then Thunderhill, then Infineon. I'm guessing that if I used the DTCs at just Laguna, they'd probably only last 2-3 days.

Thunderhill 143.1 RA1
Infineon 88.9 RA1
Infineon 132.9 RA1
Thunderhill 102.3 Azeni
Laguna 119.8 RA1

And I've had the same set of DTC60s in the rear for my last 8 events. They're probably good for another 2-3 events.. maybe more.

Whoa. Thats good? Ouch.

A normal track day for me is 180-200 miles, and i'd honestly say i get 7 or more days outta the pf97's. Whats the average cost of the 70's?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
Whoa. Thats good? Ouch.

A normal track day for me is 180-200 miles, and i'd honestly say i get 7 or more days outta the pf97's. Whats the average cost of the 70's?
I think retail is like $370ish. What do the pf97's cost?

I am seriously hard on brakes. I'm not saying you are not, but what are your braking habits?

Also, does adequate cooling help with wear? or just fade (which i dont have on ht10's).
Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eficker
I think retail is like $370ish. What do the pf97's cost?

I am seriously hard on brakes. I'm not saying you are not, but what are your braking habits?

Also, does adequate cooling help with wear? or just fade (which i dont have on ht10's).
pf's are like 260. I'm equally as harsh, Robi can attain for that one. I have no ducting, dust shields removed, and only part of the mitsu ducts remaining.

Don't really have fade, unless i'm in traffic and braking off my normal spots, riding them longer for slower cars, etc.

I'm looking into the ducts i guess.

With little pad life left on the 2nd set of 97's i did totally disentgrate them on the club course @ sebring. I had pedal fade, pulled it off, and actually had lost a little bit of the corner of the pad, and was just starting to grind backing plate. I pulled the rest of the pads out, and the compound simply fell off in chunks

hehe, whoops, little hot.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a carbotech fan right now, having been through a couple other brand pads before. I do have a little bit of a problem with the XP12's at Road America, probably one of the hardest tracks on brakes in the country... but I get to try something new this season... a set of XP16's!

Carbotech told me its their new prototype pad for tracks like Road America, where you have such heavy braking zones. It should be interesting to see how they fair.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa. Thats good? Ouch.

Well, mileage doesn't tell the whole story. It really depends on course layout. I don't think I get as many on-track minutes as you either. But it does sound like the PF97s are better in terms of wear.

But I'm staying away from PF pads after my experience w/ their brake dust. I did a track day in the rain w/ the PF 95.7 pads and the dust cemented onto my wheels instantly. The dust from the DTC60/70 pads can get wet and still be washed off a week later.

Brake cooling should help w/ wear. Here's a pic I took of my caliper. Notice the color gradient.

The outside of the caliper is obviously getting hotter. When I inspected the calipers last, the piston dust seals on the inside were in much better shape.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Well, mileage doesn't tell the whole story. It really depends on course layout. I don't think I get as many on-track minutes as you either. But it does sound like the PF97s are better in terms of wear.

But I'm staying away from PF pads after my experience w/ their brake dust. I did a track day in the rain w/ the PF 95.7 pads and the dust cemented onto my wheels instantly. The dust from the DTC60/70 pads can get wet and still be washed off a week later.

Brake cooling should help w/ wear. Here's a pic I took of my caliper. Notice the color gradient.

The outside of the caliper is obviously getting hotter. When I inspected the calipers last, the piston dust seals on the inside were in much better shape.

Now THATS a picture worth a thousand words. Nice stuff! That from the forge kit, or whatcha using?

I try to keep my wheels washed within 2-3 days of an event, and haven't had any foul recourse, even in wet conditions. Simple wipe-off with a soapy rag and they're good to go.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm.. maybe it's just the dust w/ the 95.7 compound that has the problem. I might have to try those PF pads some time if they last that long.

I had the Forge kit for 3 track days but took it off because the tubes made everything on my car too hard to work on. I was always constantly worried that the tubes would get caught on the wheels or by something on the ground. So I decided simplicity was better and went w/ the factory air scoops. I've always had my dust shields in place too.

Last edited by marksae; Feb 3, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm.. maybe it's just the dust w/ the 95.7 compound that has the problem. I might have to try those PF pads some time if they last that long.

I had the Forge kit for 3 track days but took it off because the tubes made everything on my car too hard to work on. I was always constantly worried that the tubes would get caught on the wheels or by something on the ground. So I decided simplicity was better and went w/ the factory air scoops. I've always had my dust shields in place too.

Yeah, when you do, make sure you order from a place like hoerr racing. If you call buschur and ask for 97's, you'll end up with a different pad. Ask me how i know

You still have the kit? or did you get rid of it, i fear i'm going to be the same as you, worried about it hitting/clearing stuff, but for now, it's about the last thing i can do.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I sold the kit a while back. I'd recommend just going w/ the factory scoops. Simplicity is the key! If you go w/ the ducts, you pretty much need to get rid of all your splash shields and undertray to get enough clearance for the tubes and that was a compromise I wasn't willing to make on my street car.

I'll probably order the pads from raceshopper.com. I've ordered pads from them many times and never had an issue.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I sold the kit a while back. I'd recommend just going w/ the factory scoops. Simplicity is the key! If you go w/ the ducts, you pretty much need to get rid of all your splash shields and undertray to get enough clearance for the tubes and that was a compromise I wasn't willing to make on my street car.

I'll probably order the pads from raceshopper.com. I've ordered pads from them many times and never had an issue.
I've already got those. My fenderliners are competely gone in the front, and i'm not running an undertray (likely to change).

Just make sure of what they give you, as the 1001-10's ( i think is the number) is a similar pad, same life, etc, but just doesn't have the initial bite of a true 97, however the pads themselves.... have a yellow 97 painted on them. 100% deciving.

If you get a backing plate with your pads, you've got the 1001-10's. true 97's don't have one, because as the pf rep said "it's an endurance pad, they want all the pad they can get in there" After the first track day, you can slip a backing plate in though, once they're worn a touch.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I've already got those. My fenderliners are competely gone in the front, and i'm not running an undertray (likely to change).

Just make sure of what they give you, as the 1001-10's ( i think is the number) is a similar pad, same life, etc, but just doesn't have the initial bite of a true 97, however the pads themselves.... have a yellow 97 painted on them. 100% deciving.

If you get a backing plate with your pads, you've got the 1001-10's. true 97's don't have one, because as the pf rep said "it's an endurance pad, they want all the pad they can get in there" After the first track day, you can slip a backing plate in though, once they're worn a touch.
Cool, this is all good info. I just bought a set of HT10's, but when they go i think i'll try the pf97's. What tires are you guys running with these?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

275 ra-1's / nt-01's.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

275 ra-1's / nt-01's.
I've read what people have had to do to fit 275 tires, but what did you have to do?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads