Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Recommendations for a racing school?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, great. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old May 14, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by chronohunter
Agree with most of that, Infinion is one of the great track layouts in the World (no kidding) and exactly why we bought the Jim Russell School, we wanted to teach on that track. Laguna is an absolute bore in comparison (no fast transitions, which are the greatest challenge from a drivers perspective). As we say and what had been said as long as the track has been around:

"If you can drive Infinion (Sears) you can drive anywhere"

I would add that Infinion is actually much faster feeling that Laguna because the corner speeds are on the average so much higher (and therefore more challenging and fun).

Finally the schools...If you come to come to Jim Russell after June you will have at you disposal the most advanced, fastest, newest school cars in the World, the most advanced curriculums and best instructors by a huge factor (there is not a hint of BS in any of that, though it probably sounds too good to be true).

trust me wait till the Summer and check it out before you make any school decision

Paul Gerrard
Director of Training
JRRS
Hi Paul,

Well, it's now less than a month until the June classes. Any info you can give us now? Thanks!
Old May 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I agree, all schools are very good at teaching you what you need to know, but I looked at it from a what am i going to be doing AFTER point of view. Which is why i chose Panoz at Road Atlanta. Basically you get an oversized, underpowered very stiff race car with very crappy tires. I had to get my shifts and heal-toe's just right in order to get the car into the power band in order to be actually "fast". Technically a very difficult car to drive because she has nothing, no ABS, no traction control, no brake dist, no intelligence what so ever...only thing you get is power steering So in essence YOU are the skill and not the car...its like driving an evo first without first experiencing something far less superior and working your way up.

With cars like Skip has, the car is a teaser and does more of the driving for you because its...well open wheel..need i say more. With that...was i going to build an open wheel car that i just spent money to learn to drive in? Not really, i was going to build a road car...so i went with that.

Regardless of what you choose, it'll be worth EVERY PENNY.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

I work at skip barber racing school at road america in wisconsin ( best track :-p )

but BY FAR the best driving school to goto. bondurant racing school in AZ. I have gone there the past 6 years, an plan on going every year. GREAT GREAT school. even though do work for skip barber lol
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't spill it till then
Anything spilling?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only wish I weren't a broke student.

They should give FASFA loans for this...

d
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by straylight9
Hi. I learned a lot from you guys in this thread, but given what I learned in another
thread, I am thinking about starting this "tracking" adventure with BMW CCA,
due mostly to the high cost of the commercial schools. For more info, please see:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=53912&page=7

But should I find an extra $4k in the more immediate future, I think I would
still like to try out either the Russell or Barber schools. Thanks for the info, guys!
I'm Chief Steward for the Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA (basically means that I'm responsible for the track and schedule once the event starts). I came up through the driving school program and would very much endorse it. Club driving school programs are an awesome foundation for future racing schools as well, and you'll better appreciate the more advanced schools after having some seat time.

You'll see a fair number of Evos at the NorCal BMW schools, as there are quite a few of us who own them (including Navid Kahangi, who used to own Extreme Performance) and lots of other folks on the board have shown up as students as well.

We run Sears Point twice a year. Check out the web site (http://www.ggcbmwcca.org) for the full schedule.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

In the club world because they race against each other they don't even know that final second exists because none have the keys to accessing it (ignorance is bliss?).
This is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard in my life. Ever heard of guys like Justin Hall, James Clay, or Will Turner? These are very successful pro racers who came up through Club Racing. SCCA, BMW CCA, and Porsche club racing and have produced some very fast, very successful racers. Think Randy Pobst.

The data is against you here. There are lots of top-flight sedan and sports car racers who have come through club curriculum. This is just as reasonable a path as some big-$$$ open wheel school.

All that said, everyone learns differently. As important as good instruction is, it's also important to know what kind of coaching you need and when.

Last edited by peter*g; Jun 19, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by peter*g
This is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard in my life. Ever heard of guys like Justin Hall, James Clay, or Will Turner? These are very successful pro racers who came up through Club Racing. SCCA, BMW CCA, and Porsche club racing and have produced some very fast, very successful racers. Think Randy Pobst.
It seems popular to bash "traditional" car clubs these days. But we should remember that many of them do have proven track records extending back to the 1960's (e.g., BMW CCA). Commercial driving schools are a comparatively recent phenomenon. Lots of highly successful pro drivers got their start with club racing. So, they must be doing something right.

Last edited by ISPracing; Jun 21, 2007 at 05:48 PM.