Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Harness recomm.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Then get a 2" tuner belt. And make sure you never crash

Emre
because it is ironic, I know it is unsafe but I run a 4 point harness just to keep my butt in place during auto-x events and HPDEs ... get a harness with roll bar/cage installed or just run the stock belts with CG locks ... perfect case of "Do what I say, not do what I do", how sad is that?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of 2" tuner belts on the market...but these are not true harnesses. They are simply NOT safety equipment. They are either purely for cosmetics, or only serve to keep your butt in the seat. If you crash, they'll generally do more harm then good.

Emre
I cut a portion of your post out, just to get to the point I disagree with, so maybe I'm taking your comments out of context, so if so, I apologize.

But Schroth 2" "tuner" belts are DOT legal without a cage or rollbar, so they MUST be safety equipment, right?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
But Schroth 2" "tuner" belts are DOT legal without a cage or rollbar, so they MUST be safety equipment, right?
Look up FIA, SFI, and SCCA safety regs. While you're at it, look up any safety regs by any motorsports sanctioning body you can think of. Those Schroth belts are specifically disallowed by everyone.

As for DOT approval, that basically means squat. Just look at all the DOT approved motorbike helmets you can buy at Wal-Mart. Would you trust one to protect your life? Would any car club in America allow you to run one on the track?

Emre
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Look up FIA, SFI, and SCCA safety regs. While you're at it, look up any safety regs by any motorsports sanctioning body you can think of. Those Schroth belts are specifically disallowed by everyone.

As for DOT approval, that basically means squat. Just look at all the DOT approved motorbike helmets you can buy at Wal-Mart. Would you trust one to protect your life? Would any car club in America allow you to run one on the track?

Emre
not debating what FIA, SFI, SCCA say, just that the stock belt is DOT approved, and so is the Schroth. Yet you say the Schroth is worse than the stocker. That's all I'm saying, not that they're safe for racing.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

If someone were to install a roll bar, would this mean the rear seat is shot? If someone wanted to install a full racing harness (5 or 6 pt) and they put in the proper bars. Would it be possible for someone to still sit in the back? Im guessing no, but just thought id ask if there is a way to compromise.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So far every roll bar I've seen pretty much fubars any chance of using the rear seats. I guess you could have a roll bar that looped above the driver and passenger seat and only connect to the floor pan but then again I don't think it would be structurally sound without any support beams.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's just the sort of thing you don't say in public, man. Don't get harnesses just to have the "look."
aka Rice...rice bad...leave that "image" to those crowds
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
If someone were to install a roll bar, would this mean the rear seat is shot?
Pretty much. As long as the bar is in place, it would be unsafe to put anyone back there. Besides, it would be tricky to get people in and out (the backstays would get in the way).

Originally Posted by Parikh1234
If someone wanted to install a full racing harness (5 or 6 pt) and they put in the proper bars. Would it be possible for someone to still sit in the back?
The only way you could do it would be in install a bolt-in bar that's slightly undersized. That way, you can remove it for most of the year when you're daily driving the car. You can then bolt the half-cage back in when the track season starts up again. If you're really hardcore, I suppose you could pop the rollbar in and out for each track weekend. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

Emre