Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Harness recomm.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Racing Harness recomm.

Figured this board would know best. I want to install a racing harness for HPDE's and such, but i'm a lil confused on how its supposed to go together. I know the Scroth bolt on belts connect to the rear seat belt bottoms, like in the how-to forum, but i want to get a Sparco/GSC/M1 harness bar and run them into that instead.

My question is how the hell does a belt "attatch" to the bar? And what sort of belt/brand to ya recomm. for it?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Balrok
Figured this board would know best. I want to install a racing harness for HPDE's and such, but i'm a lil confused on how its supposed to go together. I know the Scroth bolt on belts connect to the rear seat belt bottoms, like in the how-to forum, but i want to get a Sparco/GSC/M1 harness bar and run them into that instead.

My question is how the hell does a belt "attatch" to the bar? And what sort of belt/brand to ya recomm. for it?
without a full cage, or at least a roll bar, the best you're gonna do is a 4 pt. Without a schroth setup, in an impact you may submarine (slide down under the belt) which is a serious concern.

You could run a 5 pt and modify the seat, but most people don't.

As far as the other harnesses attaching to the bar, it loops over, back through the buckle, then back through the buckle a third time.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, ...duh Not gonna do a cage..yet anyway. No need if i'm not doing more then one HPDE a month.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, ...duh Not gonna do a cage..yet anyway. No need if i'm not doing more then one HPDE a month.
accidents can happen at the first event. Can never have too much safety gear. Thats my take. best of luck out there.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

I'm using Impact! harnesses in my car. I like them a lot.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you say "only" 1 HPDE per month? Haha, I wish there were that many available out here. We get about 5 per year within a 2-hr drive and 7 within 6 hours.

Anyway, what he's saying is not for you to get a cage but that you shouldn't be using a harness without a cage (or roll bar). You can use a CG lock for $40 and get a lot of the holding ability of a harness without the risk.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed, it's great because you get track time, but it sucks because the "urge" is there more often to click away at the schools and watch your bank account go poof. Anyway, what are your thoughts on a Schroth Profi II-FE asm in a cage configuration then.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know that harness. I just use a CG lock for now until the car gets relegated to race duty, at which point it will get a cage and proper harnesses.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would keep the stock seatbelts until you put a rollbar or cage in. I had an M1 harness bar and sparco 5pt before, but I feel much safer now that I have a rear cage in. I am using a schroth 6pt now.

Here is info regarding the wrapping: http://www.schrothracing.com/info/2
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:31 PM

I feel like such a ricer........I just put a Weapon R 4 point I had laying around in my evo last night.....it feels damn tight.....but I think I want a schroth or a Sparco 4 point thats for sure.....
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the record, it's not the brightest idea. The common philosophy is use stock safety equipment (i.e., reclining seats, 3-point seatbelt) or upgrade properly (i.e., roll protection, fixed-back race seat, seatback brace, 5- or 6-point harnesses). Any intermediate measure (e.g., 4-point tuner belts, harness bars) are generally a bad idea. If you just want to be locked into your seat, use a C-G Lock. If you think you're installing a harness bar and tuner belt for "safety" you might want to reconsider.

Real 3" race harnesses will come with buckles that allow you to wrap the shoulder straps around a harness bar. Most 2" tuner belts don't have a provision for this. Next time you're at a track event, look at a properly prepared car and you'll see how it's done. There isn't much to it.

Emre
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:11 AM

Simpson or Geforce 3.0" 5 point cam lock is a good choice.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

what harness can strap into your car if you dont have a harness bar or roll cage? and how do they strap in? basically just want the look and feel of the racing harness, i just do drags
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stuttgart1
Simpson or Geforce 3.0" 5 point cam lock is a good choice.
As long as you have proper roll protection and a slot in the seat-bottom, just about any 5- or 6-point 3" harness is "a good choice." There really isn't too much of a difference between brands.

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
what harness can strap into your car if you dont have a harness bar or roll cage?
There's no true racing harness that you can use without roll protection. There are plenty of 2" tuner belts on the market...but these are not true harnesses. They are simply NOT safety equipment. They are either purely for cosmetics, or only serve to keep your butt in the seat. If you crash, they'll generally do more harm then good.

basically just want the look and feel of the racing harness, i just do drags
Then get a 2" tuner belt. And make sure you never crash

Emre
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

what harness can strap into your car if you dont have a harness bar or roll cage? and how do they strap in? basically just want the look and feel of the racing harness, i just do drags
That's just the sort of thing you don't say in public, man. Don't get harnesses just to have the "look."