Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What Racing Pad do you suggest....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Racing Pad do you suggest....

I need to replace my racing pads, I have 2 piece project mu rotors in front with Cobalt gT Sport with stock caliper.

But I think there more brands with better performnce, I need to replace front and rear,

What do you suggest: Max Level 900, Ferrodo ds xxxx, Pagid Orange ect, ect ect,.

Thanks for the recomendation.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Raybestoes ST43

Available from porterfield. Its their professional grade pad, lots of stopping power, lots of initial bite, lots of noise. Still decent rotor wear.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

I have tried PF, Ferodo, and HAWK compounds.

I am currently running HAWK DTC 70 fronts and DTC 60 rears and have been satisfied so far.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Over the years, I've used just about all the available track pads on the market. I find Carbotech XP-10 works best for me in a high-performance driving school/lapping day setting. I'm not a fan of the highly corrosive dust you get with Hawk, Performance Friction, etc. And I don't want a pad that takes 2 laps to get up to temp.

Emre
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hawk DTC-70s up front, I have PF 01s in the back. Racing a full weight Evo, I find that the Carbotechs and PFs overheat in the front. Ive yet to overheat the DTCs. For track days/time attacks I can see going with something less expensive like the PFs or Carbotechs.
Marty
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Has anyone tried the Endless CTX's or A'a? I was thinking of doing PF rotors up front with CTX pads, and on the rear just a set of CTA'a. As i want something that will take the heat, do HPDE's, and not break my wheels paint job. Also has anyone heard these? I had a set of Hawk HP+'s that were annoying as hell when your going slow.

Last edited by Balrok; Mar 16, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I am going to try the Raybestos next...they are 195.00 from Poterfield brakes for NASA members...I saw first hand the success that heeltoer has had with these, and they seem to wear VERY well, and stop well. DTC-70's are awesome, but WAAAY too much (300.00+ per set). Level Max 900's are CRAP, in my opinion. I turned a set White in 2 sessions, and it helped kill a NASA TT weekend, as I have to coast a bit into braking zones...not good. I've had good luck with carbotech XP12's...10's are not quite enough for our heavy cars. XP's do not wear particularly well however.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Has anyone tried the Endless CTX's or A'a? I was thinking of doing PF rotors up front with CTX pads, and on the rear just a set of CTA'a. As i want something that will take the heat, do HPDE's, and not break my wheels paint job. Also has anyone heard these? I had a set of Hawk HP+'s that were annoying as hell when your going slow.
Do you mean CC-X and CC-A? I'm pleased with the performance of my CC-X's, but they are expensive, relatively dusty, and noisy (so use the stock shims). I usually cut my track sessions short to save abusing the car, so I'm not sure how these would stand up to a serious beating.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ok so more peps had luck with Raybestos, where do ya'll pick them up at, and what model of pad?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

No budy has use Pagid Orange??????
Old Mar 16, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robispec likes Performance Friction two-piece rotors with PF 97 pads. Kyle at Hotlapmotorsports likes Racing Brake two-piece rotors with Hawk DTC-60 pads. I'm still trying to decide before my first track day in my Evo next month.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Search around in the motorsports section. You will find lots of talk about race compounds.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Racing a full weight Evo, I find that the Carbotechs and PFs overheat in the front.
Which Carbotechs? They have many different compounds. If you can get the XP-12's to overheat, I'm impressed!

Emre
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

I agree, XP12's are hard to fry...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoixpr
No budy has use Pagid Orange??????
I have used Pagid Orange in the past on a Boxster S. Its a pretty good pad for that car from whats available. Overall very good stopping power once up to temps, takes longer to get up to temp than other Race pads though. Also decent wear on the rotors. But for me it always lacked a confidant initial bite which is why I tried other pads for the evo.

To the person who asked what compound raybestoes, please read the thread again.
I can tell you that the compound u don't want is the ST41 (unless you are planning to replace rotors/pads every two events).

Quick Reply: What Racing Pad do you suggest....