Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Burnt up my Brembos in one session.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't worry about the brake color so much. Garage Trial in Japan with their crazy looking Yellow Evo has a brownish purple Brembo brake caliper on their car as well so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just enjoy the car.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nils
I was sippin on margaritas by the pool sunday

hopefully I'll be at track this sunday but who knows...

n
You didn't miss much. PCA is only fun for beginners. Their beginner school is awesome though. My girlfriend went through it this weekend in her 350Z and loved it.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
If I were you I wouldn't worry about the brake color so much. Garage Trial in Japan with their crazy looking Yellow Evo has a brownish purple Brembo brake caliper on their car as well so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just enjoy the car.
Its not the color I am worried about, its warping brand new rotors every time I go out. The color is just an indicator of how hot they were getting.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityVIIIMR
Its not the color I am worried about, its warping brand new rotors every time I go out. The color is just an indicator of how hot they were getting.
from the makers of your rotors...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Originally Posted by nils
I was sippin on margaritas by the pool sunday

hopefully I'll be at track this sunday but who knows...

n

Nice! .... but I think the Racer Factory / Racers Wanted event was canceled.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ryan0
Good find! I guess I actually overheated the Ferodos then. The main problem, heat, is still the culprit though.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Well like we said before, it might be because of the tires so you're on the brakes for a longer period which causes the brake system (Caliper and Rotor) to heat up. Since you were doing for the whole day the rotor take a beating. You can try to resurface the rotor to see if it any better.

But isn't stoptech pretty new on the market? Like 5 or 6 years? Might want to try project mu or endless. The pricing is that bad.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Well like we said before, it might be because of the tires so you're on the brakes for a longer period which causes the brake system (Caliper and Rotor) to heat up. Since you were doing for the whole day the rotor take a beating. You can try to resurface the rotor to see if it any better.

But isn't stoptech pretty new on the market? Like 5 or 6 years? Might want to try project mu or endless. The pricing is that bad.
Well, like I said in response to that, because of the lack of grip in the tires, I was also entering the braking zones at a lower mph so it took less braking to get down to the corner entry speed. Trust me when I say that I was not on the brakes for long at all so I am confident that wasn't the issue.

StopTech makes great products regardless of how long they have been in the industry. I had no problems with the same setup on my 350Z. Both my 350Z and EVO had OEM Brembos, StopTech slotted rotors, StopTech SS Lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, and similar pads. The evo being the Ferodo DS2500 and the Z with the Cobalt GT Sport. Same track, relatively same weight, and 5 mph faster entry speed into braking zones with the Z. If I end up with a BBK on the evo it will be AP Racing.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

I think it was your rotors...StopTech slotted rotors dont have curve vains like racing brake. You were probably just too hard on your brakes, were you feeling your abs kicking in??

Last edited by evo637; Mar 19, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

What wheels were you using? Heavy wheels can add a lot of rotational mass which can increase braking distance, heat, etc.

Heavy tires can also have this effect.

Were you allowed a cooldown lap after each session? If you didn't give your brakes time to cool after a session and just parked the car it can seriously overheat the brakes and cause pad transfer.

How worn were your pads? If you don't have very much material they will transfer more heat into the calipers causing the discoloration. I also think that some brembos are more prone to discoloration than others. My calipers are still fairly red (compared to Chronohunter) and I do push the car quite hard on the track
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well, like I said in response to that, because of the lack of grip in the tires, I was also entering the braking zones at a lower mph so it took less braking to get down to the corner entry speed. Trust me when I say that I was not on the brakes for long at all so I am confident that wasn't the issue.

StopTech makes great products regardless of how long they have been in the industry. I had no problems with the same setup on my 350Z. Both my 350Z and EVO had OEM Brembos, StopTech slotted rotors, StopTech SS Lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, and similar pads. The evo being the Ferodo DS2500 and the Z with the Cobalt GT Sport. Same track, relatively same weight, and 5 mph faster entry speed into braking zones with the Z. If I end up with a BBK on the evo it will be AP Racing.
Well i wasn't questioning your driving or the product quality of stoptech. I just wanted to point out possibilities of the warp rotors.

When I was recommending the project mu or endless, was referring to rotors and not a big brake kit. I think the stock brembos are great and there's no need to upgrade it. Garage Trial and Cyber Evo uses it for their track car.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

a treadwear of 420, yes I said 420.
sorry
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

evo637 - I was hovering at the tires breaking point before ABS kicks in.

JTB - They were the stock 17" BBS and the pads were installed maybe 4 days before the event. Same with the rotors. The cooldown periods after the checker should have been efficient. They were waiving the checker half track so you only had a half of a lap to cool down, but it is a 3.1 mile track and there is a big gap between the last hard braking zone and where they were waving the checker. Probably equal to a full cool down lap at Cal Speedway's infield. Even so, I never set my e-brake when at the track so pad deposit doesn't happen.

tvbf1 - RyanO's post with a link to StopTech's website has some great information that actually leads me to believe that they are not warped at all. Also, about the Cyberevo and Garage Trial evo, they are also probably much lighter than a stock evo and have more cooling, full track pads, lighter wheels/tires, and a host of other things that cost more than getting a BBK . You also have to realize that suspension and aerodynamics also play a huge role in braking as they both cause less weight trasfer to the front of the car helping utilize more of the rear brakes and tires to help slow the car.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Setting the e-brake won't affect pad deposits, and if it did transfer it would be inside the rear rotors - you'd never feel it in the pedal. Coloration aside, you very likely did not warp the rotors but are experiencing pad transfer. I had that problem with the 2500's a little bit, and the 3000's very badly.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Setting the e-brake won't affect pad deposits, and if it did transfer it would be inside the rear rotors - you'd never feel it in the pedal. Coloration aside, you very likely did not warp the rotors but are experiencing pad transfer. I had that problem with the 2500's a little bit, and the 3000's very badly.
yep true. I forget the evo has seperate e-brake pads on the inside of the rotor hats. After reading the link that RyanO posted, I agree with you 100% about it being pad deposits rather than warped rotors

Quick Reply: Burnt up my Brembos in one session.