Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

rent-a-trailer tech

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rent-a-trailer tech

ok... so my sparco seat is too uncomfortable to drive all the way up to the next Buttonwillow event & then back.... My buddy has a truck & I am gonna rent a trailer so we can just tow the car up there.

When it comes to rentable open deck trailers, who has had good experiences where car fits good on trailer & is ok to get the car up on there without completely ripping off the front bumper...

please advice

tia,
n
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure how close this might be to you but.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California Trailer Rentals is a family-owned business located in Saratoga, California. We cater to car racers and car enthusiasts to meet their car transport needs.

We have several enclosed car trailers specifically designed for auto transport available for rent. Our trailers are specially designed to haul race cars and show cars with their low approach angles.

Best regards,
Roy Riccomini
http://www.californiatrailerrentals.com/
408-348-6225
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

that seems nice but unfortunately is too far away.... I was thinking more along the lines of Uhaul, Hertz etc.. places that are common everywhere...

has anyone done this with good results?

thx,
n
Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

I have an old U-Haul open trailer. I need to put a 1/4" thick board under the area that the front tires rest on, just to clear the front lip on most EVO's. Sometimes I need to raise the nose of the trailer, during loading and unloading, to clear some exhaust systems. But for the most part, you shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck, Darin
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the trailering world.

can't help ya on the uhaul, as every time i called, they didn't have one, and when i had one reserved, they told me they wouldn't rent it without a truck rental (wtf?)
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:16 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nils
When it comes to rentable open deck trailers, who has had good experiences where car fits good on trailer & is ok to get the car up on there without completely ripping off the front bumper...
I've used UHaul for street cars. The trailers are solid, as in heavy! Some helper 2x8s should get you up the ramps. The fold-away fenders may get in the way if you have any really wide body work.

UHaul always seems to have this perverse policy of charging a lot more for round-trips, so just make sure to arrange to drop off at a different location, even if it's in the same city. Consider yourself lucky if you've never had to deal with "The Hills Have Eyes" UHaul in Appalachian Ohio.

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

lol...

thx guys
Old Mar 29, 2007, 07:13 PM

Most places that do trailer sales will also do rentals,and have better equiptment.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Just a thought...

a new open trailer is just over $1000. that's a set of race tires.

I have thought of renting a trailer, but you can easily find new and used trailers for pretty cheap these days.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, new trailers are too cheap not to get. I rented a U-Haul a few times and the quality of them were always questionable (They didnt take very good care of them). I ended up buying a lightly used trailer for half the price new.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:58 AM
spt
Evolved Member

that seems nice but unfortunately is too far away.... I was thinking more along the lines of Uhaul, Hertz etc.. places that are common everywhere...

has anyone done this with good results?

thx,
n

I've had experience with uhaul before. If the nose of your evo sits low, you will probably need to take off the front bumper to clear everything. The first time I rented a uhaul trailer, I didn't do that and I ended up ripping my front bumper off the car. It really depends on the height of the car so some may need, some may not.

Also you may want to look into the amount times you'll need a trailer for the year. It may be cheaper to buy a used one for $1000 then it is to rent, depending on the amount of times you will need to rent.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

if I had a spot to leave my trailer I'd buy one in a heartbeat.... my lil house just cant house another large item

n
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

i rented a uhual trailer a couple of times, and never had a issue! My car is stock hight though, so like spt said, make sure u take off your front bumper
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:20 AM
spt
Evolved Member

if I had a spot to leave my trailer I'd buy one in a heartbeat.... my lil house just cant house another large item

n
I had the same problem. What I figured was a good solution was to rent a storage space (cheapest one available) and store it there when I'm not using it.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spt
I had the same problem. What I figured was a good solution was to rent a storage space (cheapest one available) and store it there when I'm not using it.
i do this with my trailer. Actually, they rent me a spot just for my trailer. It costs a whopping $60 a month. More than worth it honestly..

Quick Reply: rent-a-trailer tech