Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

GSC center diff - TESTED w/ VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subaruwrx420
What about developing something like the Motec ACD controller that allows one to scroll through a multitude of torque split settings? Unless of course, the center diff gears are cheaper. Yeah, I guess it's only money, right f*ck it.

Here is the link...no price listed. http://www.motec.com.au/what.htm
Actual torque split is controlled by mechanical means and is 50/50. In this case it's the center diff inside the tranny. All ACD really does is control how much and how fast the lock up occurs in sending power to the rear wheels. If you truly want to vary the torque split you need to replace the gears.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

The Suby has a variable torque split does it not? How do they pull that off and how could we do the same?

I would like to be in the 60/40 range if possible but for now I'm fine. Of course once I drive one I'm screwed.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
wow wait a second. what happens to the factory viscous coupler? what do you do with it? do you leave it in there? or do you replace it with something else?

Eddie Rosado
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
wow wait a second. what happens to the factory viscous coupler? what do you do with it? do you leave it in there? or do you replace it with something else?

Eddie Rosado
It stays in the TC. Unless of course you swap in the inlcuded "spool" in place of the VCU. My understanding is the spool is good for a car driven on loose surfaces (dirt/gravel) but will upset a tarmac car.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Regarding the "spool", I still haven't heard exactly what it is. Is it a true spool (locks the front and rear together like a welded center diff), or is it a VCU-eliminator that allows the front and rear to spin independantly??

From the description of the effects of using it, it sounds like it is the latter. . .

Greg- keep me on the list if it works out well with the ACD!

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Regarding the "spool", I still haven't heard exactly what it is. Is it a true spool (locks the front and rear together like a welded center diff), or is it a VCU-eliminator that allows the front and rear to spin independantly??

From the description of the effects of using it, it sounds like it is the latter. . .

Greg- keep me on the list if it works out well with the ACD!

EVOlutionary
It is the latter.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

That's what I thought. The "spool" turns it into a completely open differential with a 40:60 split. Because there is less weight on the rear wheels and you have more torque going to those wheels, they tend to break loose first and the car acts pretty much like a fully RWD car.

When you keep the VCU it limits the differential in wheel speed between the front and rear and makes it handle like a rear-biased AWD car.

Nils, good job man. I know you'll just keep getting faster and faster as you dial the suspension in for the new setup!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

thx mang.... i know i'll have to mess with it a bit at BW, but here at home it feels great, super happy with & when I get the new aero in I should pick up more time.

btw - we were out tuning the aem with Mikey from factorX yesterday and noticed that I have been running 15-17psi all along.. I rigged up a pressure test and found the leak.. mmmm cant wait to feel 21psi again
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Now as I understand it, Quaife offers a torque biasing center. How much like or dislike that is this product. It seems as if it just biases but will not effect a full on split, correct? Does the spool included act as such with the added plus of the 40/60?

If so my nipples are getting hard.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
That's what I thought. The "spool" turns it into a completely open differential with a 40:60 split. Because there is less weight on the rear wheels and you have more torque going to those wheels, they tend to break loose first and the car acts pretty much like a fully RWD car.

When you keep the VCU it limits the differential in wheel speed between the front and rear and makes it handle like a rear-biased AWD car.

Nils, good job man. I know you'll just keep getting faster and faster as you dial the suspension in for the new setup!
i dont think that putting a spool in there will make it COMPLETELY open differential cuz the stock center differential *(which is an open diff)* its self was replaced with a lsd unit. i'd have to read alot more on the instructions or someone from the company has to explain it a little more. because i still dont understand when the 40:60 is in effect? with the stock VCU still in there? or with the supplied "open" spool in there.

i think there are two different splits available with this unit which will make it EVEN MORE INTERESTING NOW. one with the VCU still in place, and another with the SPOOL in place. my question is when do you have the 40 in the front and 60 in the rear? i just wanna make sure i know what i'm talking about before i sell it to one of my customers.

hey Nils would you mind posting high quality pictures of the spool from a few different angles?

Eddie Rosado
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
Now as I understand it, Quaife offers a torque biasing center. How much like or dislike that is this product. It seems as if it just biases but will not effect a full on split, correct? Does the spool included act as such with the added plus of the 40/60?

If so my nipples are getting hard.
i'd love more info on this also.

Eddie ROsado
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think that putting a spool in there will make it COMPLETELY open differential cuz the stock center differential *(which is an open diff)* its self was replaced with a lsd unit. . . .

i think there are two different splits available with this unit . . . .
Eddie Rosado
Sorry, don't think it works like that. . .
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

he has it without the spool in there....... he already said it. so thats either not a 40/60 or it is. and if it is, then when you take out the VCU and replace it with the spool it should be a different split. i bet you anything this has something to do with the ACD somehow. if you have ACD you dont use the spool? and if its an older evo 8 that comes with the VCU then you DO use the spool?

Eddie Rosado
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thechoc
wait a minute. they won't work with ACD? This should be good. Greg I'll let you know how it works out on an 05.
They work fine (and yes hacking the ACD controller is helpful tuning the response)
Old Apr 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

he has it without the spool in there....... he already said it. so thats either not a 40/60 or it is. and if it is, then when you take out the VCU and replace it with the spool it should be a different split. i bet you anything this has something to do with the ACD somehow. if you have ACD you dont use the spool? and if its an older evo 8 that comes with the VCU then you DO use the spool?

Eddie Rosado
I think maybe you need to sit down with the handy evo drivetrain diagram. All the VCU and ACD do are control speed differential between the front and rear wheels. The ACD obviously can be tuned for varying response levels.

With the spool in place the front and rear wheels are forced to travel (mechanically) at the same speed all the time. With the VCU and ACD the front and rear are allowed to travel at different speeds when needed, without this the car becomes unstable. The "spool" is just a large chunk of billet steel.

Just curious, what shop do you work for? I see you're in bridgeport, I live in Milford.

Quick Reply: GSC center diff - TESTED w/ VIDEO