Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Help me avoid brake fluid boiling on track...

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alloy makes the difference

Looks like ez beat me to it. Coolnick, you didn't read our description on the webstore page that shows the alloy we use. 6Al-4V is THE material that will work in this application. Any of the CP alloys are only slightly better than 304. This stuff is getting increasingly harder to get and the price jumps all around. We only use the correct alloy in grade 5. Thickness ranges from .035 to .039 depending on what is available at the time. Don't know where your numbers came from but they are not correct for either the Ti or the 304. Ez is correct, 6Al-4V is 6.6-6.8 W/mk, 304 is 21.4-21.6 W/mk making our Ti shims roughly 3 times more insulating than SS.

They work, period. Not only do they work at helping to keep the fluid from boiling, they save the dust boots as well, which is nice considering they cost $40 a caliper. They pay for themselves quickly.

The team that designed the SR-71 Blackbird chose to make it's skin of Titanium to shield it's Aluminum frame structure from the 1000F surface temps. But you state "Titanium is used for its strength to weight ratio, not its thermal properties." Guess you missed that one...

You can LOL all you want, but unless you can back up your statement that Ti Shields=waste of money with something other than insulting me and thinking I need my head examined (cause your stats are wrong) maybe you should take a different approach. Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Martin

Free tip to all: HP+ are good to a max operating temp of 800F. They are an amazing autocross pad, highest initial bite of almost anything out there. They are not a great track pad if you have temp issues however.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the plates reduce the heat that is great, but the main reason I got them is because my stock plates were so distorted from the heat that they were not easy to even get back in the calipers, it took quite a bit of hammering to get them close to flat. Im assuming the tit. plates will deal with this heat much better.
Marty
Old May 11, 2007, 06:53 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Martin. Actually I suspect you are correct that the data is a bit off. I looked again and it seems my source says pure Ti is 17 W/m-K and 304 Stainless Steel is 16.2 W/m-K. Of course different manufactures will list different properties. Either way it would be well over 2 times less conductive.

It's funny...in my previous experience in the 90's with Corvette track cars, we used to do a similar budget trick with the caliper pistons, which were Aluminum (somewhere around 210 W/m-K). We would throw in cheap Stainless pistons. Talk about a difference in heat management!

I'll give these pieces a hard look for this track season...

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
Looks like ez beat me to it. Coolnick, you didn't read our description on the webstore page that shows the alloy we use. 6Al-4V is THE material that will work in this application. Any of the CP alloys are only slightly better than 304. This stuff is getting increasingly harder to get and the price jumps all around. We only use the correct alloy in grade 5. Thickness ranges from .035 to .039 depending on what is available at the time. Don't know where your numbers came from but they are not correct for either the Ti or the 304. Ez is correct, 6Al-4V is 6.6-6.8 W/mk, 304 is 21.4-21.6 W/mk making our Ti shims roughly 3 times more insulating than SS.

They work, period. Not only do they work at helping to keep the fluid from boiling, they save the dust boots as well, which is nice considering they cost $40 a caliper. They pay for themselves quickly.

The team that designed the SR-71 Blackbird chose to make it's skin of Titanium to shield it's Aluminum frame structure from the 1000F surface temps. But you state "Titanium is used for its strength to weight ratio, not its thermal properties." Guess you missed that one...

You can LOL all you want, but unless you can back up your statement that Ti Shields=waste of money with something other than insulting me and thinking I need my head examined (cause your stats are wrong) maybe you should take a different approach. Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Martin

Free tip to all: HP+ are good to a max operating temp of 800F. They are an amazing autocross pad, highest initial bite of almost anything out there. They are not a great track pad if you have temp issues however.
Old May 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thank God the "engineers" stepped in to tell the guys who have tested this stuff in real applications what works and what doesn't work.
Old May 12, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Well I'm certainly not going to be a douche and attempt to continue my argument. I have a simple chart at work with different metals that lists their uses and benefits, etc. Martin and the other guy were right, I did not take the time to go to their website and read which Ti alloy they were using, I merely heard Ti and thought to myself "who in the hell would use Ti as an insulating material?" The numbers I grabbed were in a heat transfer book I have and I confirmed them on matweb. You can see why I thought they would do nothing.

I am still somewhat skeptical as to wether or not the shim is thick enough, but I know that Girodisk makes excellent products and they obviously know more about braking components than I do. My apologies for any insults.

(ironically Firefox is on Spike right now lol)

And thanks for pointing out that my pads suck, I started this thread as a n00b and I will continue to be a n00b until I feel more comfortable on the track. Aside from sounding a "little" arrogant here, I really am open to any and all suggestions to improve my learning curve. I am obviously not driving the car at 10/10ths on the track so the HP+ are perfect for me at this point in time.

I'll try not to stick my foot in my mouth for the next day or so, but it is bound to happen again at some point. Thanks for humoring me fellas.