Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HPDE's above stock 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
If I want to stick with my current 17x9 rims, would the Nitto NT01 in 245/45-17 be my best bet for a taller tire that would fit w/o rubbing? Other ideas on offered sizes or brands of r-comps would be great!
Currently running 255/40-17 RA1's and trying to find something to help out 4th gear topend if possible.
.....Or goto 18's; but more weight and a new purchase suck.
I think that's probably your best bet of you want to stick with 17's. The 245/45-17 Nitto is nearly identical in rolling diameter to the 245/40-18 Toyo, and I thought the gearing with that tire was superb.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mph @ stock redline in respective gears - assuming stock tire size:

03-05 Evo VIII:
4th gear @7k = 115

05-06 Evo MR:
4th gear @7k = 104.6
5th gear @7k = 132.6

06 Evo IX:
4th gear @7k = 108
Going to revive my old thread because I'm still frustrated with my IX gearing! Also, this is really in reference to TT/TA not HPDE's anymore. So...game on.

I demodded a bit this year and switched down to NASA TTB. That means I'm running more stock parts (FMIC, piping, no MBC) and around 310whp probably. Also running a 245/40-17 tire which is a little smaller than stock.
Some tracks are more of an issue, but I would really like a longer 4th in my IX. Besides a few mph with tire size changes, I think the best way to go about this (and stay legal in TTB) might be to redo the trans and put in the 4th gear from the VIII. That should get me another 10mph - wish I could do more though.

I know I could change the final drive ratio, but from what I've read/asked, I don't really have a powerful enough car to slide everything and stay in a meaty powerband. But the info is here: http://www.teamrip.com/gear_ratio_options.html

Last edited by boomn29; May 18, 2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: TT/TA gearing!
Old May 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Going to revive my old thread because I'm still frustrated with my IX gearing! Also, this is really in reference to TT/TA not HPDE's anymore. So...game on.

I demodded a bit this year and switched down to NASA TTB. That means I'm running more stock parts (FMIC, piping, no MBC) and around 310whp probably. Also running a 245/40-17 tire which is a little smaller than stock.
Some tracks are more of an issue, but I would really like a longer 4th in my IX. Besides a few mph with tire size changes, I think the best way to go about this (and stay legal in TTB) might be to redo the trans and put in the 4th gear from the VIII. That should get me another 10mph - wish I could do more though.

I know I could change the final drive ratio, but from what I've read/asked, I don't really have a powerful enough car to slide everything and stay in a meaty powerband. But the info is here: http://www.teamrip.com/gear_ratio_options.html
I don't think this is true. Yes, it would be better if you make lots and lots of torque to negate the acceleration loss of going to a taller final drive, but I have an HKS final drive (4.11 vs 4.53) and it was exactly what I needed to make the gearing more effective for the tracks I run on (Infineon, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, etc.). I was making ~320whp with this set up and was very happy.

For reference, I'm now making ~400whp from an FP Red, and the gearing still works. The 1000rpm power difference in the curve means that I'm not in as sweet of a part of the power band for Infineon exiting some corners, but the extra power combined with getting on the throttle sooner makes it livable. Just means the thing goes from mild acceleration to taking off like a scalded cat in a few seconds, and you need to be aware of that when you get on the gas.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

This is the only issue I have with my car on track. Clay's solution is the only viable way to get it done, besides a full engine build for 9k rpms and a new final drive.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still hate the EVO 9 4th gear as well. The best approach is to swap in a 3rd and 4th gear from an EVO8. Keep the EVO9 5th and it will pick up in a sweet spot. Also noteworthy is the EVO tranny is pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble. Our group has done a few now with excellent results. The Mitsu shop manual pretty much tells you everything you need to know step by step. I'll be adding the 3/4 combo when I upgrade my clutch.

If you add the EVO 8 3/4 gears and run them to 7600 you'll be well within the speed range you are looking at.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

I've thought about this issue repeatedly and even made a spreadsheet to compare speed/rpm points with varying final drives and varying tire sizes. My goal was to eliminate running out of 3rd and 4th gear at Infineon.

Eventually I plan to drop the tranny and throw in the HKS final drive and possibly the Evo9 5th if it's not too expensive.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redvolution
I've thought about this issue repeatedly and even made a spreadsheet to compare speed/rpm points with varying final drives and varying tire sizes. My goal was to eliminate running out of 3rd and 4th gear at Infineon.

Eventually I plan to drop the tranny and throw in the HKS final drive and possibly the Evo9 5th if it's not too expensive.
Same here! I had a huge spreadsheet last year and I actually dropped in some other cars like the 04-06 STi, 07 STi, Lotus Elise, etc gearsets for comparisons as some of my track buddies drive those. What sucks is.... I've misplaced it! I'd love to have a copy of yours if you'd share it. (I'll pm ya).

I figured if/when my trans got ...uh..."tired", I'd ship it to Jon@TRE and just have it all redone and pick and choose. Right now, I'd probably pick the Evo 8 3rd/4th and the rest Evo 9. I might switch up the final drive too to 4.11, assuming I'd be keeping the car into 2010 and upping the power/classing.

I've got all the costs to do the swaps. Jon's stage 2 seems like the ticket. Then you can add on different gears from the VIII/IX depending on what you have or what you want for extra. I got a local estimate of around $500 to swap the trans. If ya need a new clutch, it'd probably be wise to upgrade that at the same time to save labor.

Last edited by boomn29; May 20, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

If you swap the final drive in the transmission, won't you have to swap a matching final drive into the rear diff as well?
Old May 20, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I set the track record at Pocono Long course at 1:32.78 in my NASA Super Touring Evolution 8. 275/45/17 Hoosier R6 tires are taller than stock Advans. Calculations revealed I hit 167 mph at 7200rpm with a stock 5spd at the turn in point of the tunnel NASCAR turn 2. This year I plan to defend my record in July when a complete rebuild is finished. A new RS box with custom gears sets should increase the acceleration but allow a similar top speed with higher rpm's. Sorry no specifics allowed at this time.....
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Looking for feedback from people that have switched from the Evo 9 3rd/4th gears into the Evo 8 3rd/4th gears.

I run a lot of 1.8 - 2.1 mile tracks in the midwest. And I seem to have to use 5th sometimes 3-4 times a lap with some of those shifts short-shifts (so I don't shift mid-corner and upset the balance). We're talking straights where my top speed is in the 105-112mph range so I really think I'm losing time. *Note I run a slightly smaller tire (245/40-17 R6) and try to shift around 6500rpms most times.

The only part that worries me is losing overall acceleration in 4th. I use 4th gear to pull out of a lot of corners and I've been trying to eliminate a short downshift to 3rd whenever possible in an effort to brake less and carry more speed subconsciously.
I dunno if my 300-320whp is enough to support an updated final drive...
Old Sep 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

You can buy many different gears from Mitsubishi cars that will work in a Evolution gear box. 3rd is a bit low for most corners, for sure. It's a slippery slope to start modifying. Just adapt your driving to find the best times and fun.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

JDM 5th Gear
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
JDM 5th Gear
I just had Shep install this in my backup gearbox which I'm running in the hillclimb car now. Gearbox is working well, and I've done some street driving with it. I think at cruise on the highway at 3500 I'm now at 60mph instead of 65.

FWIW, I had a Hollinger dogbox in the car previously which had gearing that was very similar, so its hard for me to give a back-to-back comparison.

Dave
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still feel the EVO8 3rd & 4th gear is the way to go. When I was tracking my eight I rarely had to reach for 5th. The longer 3rd also help avoiding additional shifts. I pretty much hate the upper gearing in my 9. I'll be swapping them out as soon as they start to grind. Until then I'm not lifting and I'm banging the hell out of them.

You aren't going to lose any speed by swapping them. If anything you will pick up a few mph especially considering the tires you are running.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I still feel the EVO8 3rd & 4th gear is the way to go. When I was tracking my eight I rarely had to reach for 5th. The longer 3rd also help avoiding additional shifts. I pretty much hate the upper gearing in my 9. I'll be swapping them out as soon as they start to grind. Until then I'm not lifting and I'm banging the hell out of them.

You aren't going to lose any speed by swapping them. If anything you will pick up a few mph especially considering the tires you are running.
Thx for the feedback on the gearing. Yeah, if I just had another 10mph in 4th; I'd be faster on nearly every track I've ran on this year. There's a few times I'll even coast into turns because I'm pushing 7k - which is where sometimes I end up short-shifting later on.

I've treated my trans very nicely. Nothing has grinded ever (my 2003 had the 5th gear grind from the factory). Might suck to change out a good working trans just to upgrade the gearing, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

Quick Reply: HPDE's above stock 4th gear