Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HPDE's above stock 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I skimmed through your post......but to solve the issue of running out of gearing on some tracks I rasied my rev limiter to 8K as well as run larger than stock OD tires.

It sounds like I make more power than you so my 5th gear still pulls very hard.....but sometimes shifting is just not worth it before a corner so the extra RPM is nice to have in a gear.

Stock tire is 25.3" OD, 275/40/17 is 25.66" OD and the current "skinnies" 245/40/18 are 25.71"OD

Car has 42K miles, stock valvesprings and Zex 272/272 cams. Makes 355whp on a MD (pump gas)

Originally Posted by boomn29

I run a lot of 1.8 - 2.1 mile tracks in the midwest. And I seem to have to use 5th sometimes 3-4 times a lap with some of those shifts short-shifts (so I don't shift mid-corner and upset the balance). We're talking straights where my top speed is in the 105-112mph range so I really think I'm losing time. *Note I run a slightly smaller tire (245/40-17 R6) and try to shift around 6500rpms most times.
I am suprised you are running out of gearing at 112RPM in 4th? I guess I have never paid attention because most of the tracks around here (Mid-O, Grattan, Gingerman.)....you have to shift into 5th......

Just for reference with my rev limiter at 8000 and the 25.7 OD tires I was hitting 92.5MPH at the top of 3rd gear. I only know this because I was 1/8 mile dragracing this past weekend and the on all 8 passes the car ran 92.5mph through the traps and was just touching the limiter as I would go through the lights at the top of 3rd.

------Last thing.....the bigger OD tires will rub and wear away at you fender liners if you chose that route.

-Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; Sep 10, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't read any of the above and I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I've made up my mind that the next time the transmission comes off the motor I'm switching out my VIII 5th gear for a IX 5th gear because my car is a dog in 5th but I hit it on VIR and Summit all the time, legitimately. Even if I decide to wind up to 8K I still need 5th on the straights.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rev limiter is probably 7800rpms. I know it's raised, but I'd hafta ask AMS to know for sure. Now do I use that on a roadcourse; nope. Maybe I can w/o issue, but I just don't. Not when I'm pushing the car hard for consecutive laps do I push it past 7k really at anytime; just like to keep it nice and safe! Also in looking at my dynoplot, the car loses power after 6500rpms as is (not running an MBC anymore).

You referenced Gingerman... I was there last weekend and on my hot laps, I'd use 5th gear 3-4 times per lap! My tire is a bit smaller; so really anything over 100mph is going to be close to redline for me.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

My rev limiter is probably 7800rpms. I know it's raised, but I'd hafta ask AMS to know for sure. Now do I use that on a roadcourse; nope. Maybe I can w/o issue, but I just don't. Not when I'm pushing the car hard for consecutive laps do I push it past 7k really at anytime; just like to keep it nice and safe! Also in looking at my dynoplot, the car loses power after 6500rpms as is (not running an MBC anymore).

You referenced Gingerman... I was there last weekend and on my hot laps, I'd use 5th gear 3-4 times per lap! My tire is a bit smaller; so really anything over 100mph is going to be close to redline for me.
I ran the car in 06 and 07 in NASA TTS and often ran it up to the limit. It doesn't make power up there but is does prevent an extra shift right before a corner. (I have always been one that doesn't mind breaking something now and then if it means going faster most of the time)...but I haven't had an issues with the head/engine yet because of the RPMS

On the street I don't run it that high and at the drag strip the car is actually shorted shifted at about 7200 RPM to get the best results.

I just noticed you are running TTB? I thought the car was pretty much a TTA car with any mods?

What kind of lap times did you see at Gingerman? I have been driving/instructing with different groups and cars there for about 12 years....last count was 15,000+ miles around that track

-Matt
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dropspeed
I just noticed you are running TTB? I thought the car was pretty much a TTA car with any mods?

What kind of lap times did you see at Gingerman? I have been driving/instructing with different groups and cars there for about 12 years....last count was 15,000+ miles around that track

-Matt
Yikes, that's some miles! This was my first trip to Gingerman, came away with a best lap of 1:32 - details here

The Evo IX is a TTB base class car. It gets the 5pt turbo penalty, so if you can deal with 14pts; you can stick in B. That's what I did this year; demodded a bit to B.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yikes, that's some miles! This was my first trip to Gingerman, came away with a best lap of 1:32 - details here

The Evo IX is a TTB base class car. It gets the 5pt turbo penalty, so if you can deal with 14pts; you can stick in B. That's what I did this year; demodded a bit to B.
Nice job!...(and the car looks good) There are guys that have run the track for years (with more mods/power) that can't crack into the 32s!

If you head back there again next year (or this year) send me a PM...I might try to meet you there. (Family has 50 acres 4 miles from the track, hence all of the seat time there).

I am sure you saw the construction, but the track will be extended next year with an off camber and I was told it would be run in counter clockwise!!!! Should be fun!

-Matt