Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Thumbs Up for the Racing Brake ET900 Pads

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs Up for the Racing Brake ET900 Pads

Hi Folks,

I'm certainly not the fastest guy on the track by any stretch, but I get out there every chance I get, so take this for what it's worth.

This weekend there was an SCCA Club Racing Double Regional race at Limerock Park. Unfortunately I was the only guy out there in T2. The conditions were rainy for the first day and part of the second day and then dry (damp) for the second half of the second day. As far as the car goes, I have a Touring 2 Evo with very few modifications outside of safety, just stainless lines. I was running full tread r-compound tires for the rain. I was a big fan of the Hawk DTC-60s when I last ran them and Racing Brake claims that these are comparable to the DTC-70s, which from what I can understand are a good improvement on the DTC-60s.

From the start in qualifying I was experiencing major pad fade at the straightaway at LRP with my previous set of pads, enough that I almost rear ended an A/S Camaro going in to big bend. I had to modify my driving to start braking around 5 or 6, yuck.

At first I chalked it up to me being unable to heat up the tires and pads because of the slow speeds due to the rain, but the fading did not stop and I had many "Oh ****" moments throughout the day.

I had about enough and put the ET900s on and was very pleased. The pads had great initial bite and I was not experiencing fade anymore. For those of you familiar with Limerock, the fast guys only brake at the end of the straightaway, but is it important to scrub off the speed quickly and get going in to big bend. I was braking about 2 markers later (probably around the 3 or 2.5) whereas with my previous pads I had to start around 5 in order to not completely fade the heck out of the pads. I would certainly rank the RB ET900s above the DTC-60s, but can't yet compare them to the DTC-70s since I have not tried them yet. I think I need some cooling next as my front calipers were smoking when I came in. May have just been some tire rubber caught on the caliper, though.

AMS, want to hook a poor kid up with a brake cooling kit?

Of course this didn't help me from facing the wrath of Paul Newman and his amazingly fast GT-1 Corvette (53 second lap, yikes!), but there wasn't any reason for me to go 100% with no other T2 cars out and rainy conditions.

I would recommend this pad to anyone doing competitive events and using r-compound tires. The price is awesome and they have worked very well for me. The pads cost me about 240$ (!) for fronts from Racingbrake.com and the Hawk DTC-70s cost about 400$ for a set. Right there alone is worth it! You can save that 160$ for half an event fee

Additionally, Racing Brake's customer support is top notch. I had selected 2 day UPS and the sales rep found that the Ground service was just as fast and would cost me 15$ less. They certainly didn't have to let me know, but they took the time out to do so and it was very appreciated.

I will be testing them out again at NHIS this weekend, where I have had a lot of prior experience, I will be interested to see how these do, as I was having issues with my previous pads up there a couple weeks ago.

Has anyone tried the DTC-70s and these pads? From what I can tell, the ET900s are the real deal, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

Last edited by Tsurara; May 21, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I am running the RB700s at all corners and must say I was pretty happy as well at Mid Ohio. I wish I had some 900s on hand to try and give some feedback on which does what but I can tell you that I had a problem trying to get my 700s up to temp.

It was cool in the 60s both days with some rain here and there and I could tell a huge change later in the sessions as the car stopped with much better feel once they got up to temp.

I was also using the RB 2 piece discs and would note that after coming off the track the amount of heat the fronts were throwing off was MUCH lower than they were at my last event with stockish everything.

Initial pedal feel was not quite what I would have liked but as my car is rather soft still this is not a big deal. With a stiffer car too much initial bite can unsettle things and I was able to modulate well once the heat got up.

I was also using Motul 600 and SS lines all from Kyle at HotLap. Could not be happier about the overall performance and look forward to makign fine adjustments as the season goes on to get them dialed in just so.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

I've been using ET900s as well and find them to be a good replacement for DTCs at a much better price. They are even more streetable than a lot of mixed use pads, but they will increase wear on the rotors if used on the street and not at operating temperatures above 500 deg.

The ET700s are totally streetable, like stock pads, and work great for light cars on the track, but fast, heavy cars like the Evo or Corvette will attain 1400+ deg brake temps which is past the service limit for 700s. ET700s are a great replacement for mixed use pads like Hawk HPx, PF97, Endless, CCX.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I've been using ET900s as well and find them to be a good replacement for DTCs at a much better price. They are even more streetable than a lot of mixed use pads, but they will increase wear on the rotors if used on the street and not at operating temperatures above 500 deg.

The ET700s are totally streetable, like stock pads, and work great for light cars on the track, but fast, heavy cars like the Evo or Corvette will attain 1400+ deg brake temps which is past the service limit for 700s. ET700s are a great replacement for mixed use pads like Hawk HPx, PF97, Endless, CCX.
David,

Great to hear this from you. I was having trouble finding info from someone who has used both. Are you running an ET900 front ET800 rear combo or something else? I was running ET900 fronts and Carbotech XP10 rears and was fairly happy.

thanks again!
Old May 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't used the ET900s, but I have used DTC60 and DTC70 pads. Both DTC pads perform pretty similarly to each other. I didn't notice any major differences between the two, other than the DTC70s took slightly longer to warm up.

Nice to hear good feedback about the ET900s. I'll be trying those after my PF97s wear out.
Old May 24, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo

I agree with David 100%. I ran the ET700s front/rear at Thill a weeks ago and I'll add the following:
- the ET700s are sensitive to bedding, much more so than the DTC60s I was running before. RacingBrake includes detailed instructions on how to bed them in but I ran out of time and just showed up at the track with new pads.
- A heavy fast car like the Evo will experience some fade, although it goes away very quickly.

In my experience the ET700s surpass most other mixed use pads by giving up a little bit of feel in exchange for more heat capacity. I think they will be excellent rear-pads that don't need to be swapped street vs. track.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yikes, might have to take what I said back.

I brought the pads to NHIS this weekend, they worked fine but the area between the pad compound and the metal backing started to crack horizontally. Luckily nothing happened but that is not a good area for the material to crack. I am hoping I just got a set of bad pads. Has anyone else noticed this on the ET900s? They also ate my rotors like crazy
Old May 28, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Hey... they want them to eat your rotors! They sell those too ya know!
Old May 28, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being fairly easy on rotors is another reason I ended up going with the DTC 70s
Old May 28, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

It may in fact end up being a case of spending money on pads or spending it on rotors.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
It may in fact end up being a case of spending money on pads or spending it on rotors.
my experience and anecdotal evidence from others points to the same conclusion