Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: Autocross the benz?
Yea
81.48%
Nay
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

To autocross or not to autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To autocross or not to autocross?

Hey folks,

Having gotten my new 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan, I am debating whether or not I should autocross it. It sports a 201hp V6 engine and a 7 speed automatic (shiftronic) transmission. Do you think it's worthy of autocrossing or should I just keep it for pimping.

- Kreme
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on how bad you want to autox. I dont know how well that car will do, being that it doesnt have a ton of hp, but of course that is not what autox is about. I'll autox anything and everything I can, so go out and try it.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Do it. You will learn the limits of you and your car and will be ready to avoid most of the the a-holes on the road. Plus it is loads of fun.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:36 AM
Account Disabled

Don't get me wrong, i've autocrossed before... heck I even did a few road courses in my 2002 lancer (i had before the benz). However the reason I ask about the benz is because I dont think i've ever seen a mercedes benz in an autocross or a road course. Maybe it's taboo to run in a benz.

P.S. The benz is incredibly fun to throw around corners, I think the sport edition I got comes with a beefed up suspension.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I dont thinkg that its taboo to run a benz, probably just a money thing. most people who buy a benz are not planning on beating on, and those who buy something to autox obviously start with a cheaper,easier platform. Here in CKR we have a new guy running his new Lexus IS350, and learning really quickly with it. Go out and have fun !!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Jazzie604
I dont thinkg that its taboo to run a benz, probably just a money thing. most people who buy a benz are not planning on beating on, and those who buy something to autox obviously start with a cheaper,easier platform. Here in CKR we have a new guy running his new Lexus IS350, and learning really quickly with it. Go out and have fun !!
Very true, but if it were a money thing then people wouldnt run Porsches or Vettes right? But yeah the only thing i'm a bit irked about is the lack of aftermarket suspension parts for the benz.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen that exact car autox with temp tags, except it was a 320 or whatever the higher-powered version is, but not the AMG version. It was fun to watch, and the guy was pretty fast.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I've seen that exact car autox with temp tags, except it was a 320 or whatever the higher-powered version is, but not the AMG version. It was fun to watch, and the guy was pretty fast.
C350 Sport? That one has 268 horsies, mine has 201 horsies... also the C350 is more common in 6spd manual, mine is 7spd auto (w/ shiftronic).

But yeah, that means alot coming from someone like you... i just might take my benzy to the track sometime soon. I hope I dont run out of blue tape (gonna tape it up like a ****).
Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Heck, I'd autocross a geo metro. I've seen a guy in a F150 before.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do it! It should be fun regardless of what car you drive ... I had the oppertunity to drive a Benz when I was event master for an event, unfortunately it was automatic ... But fun none the less ... Also drove a GTO during an event, that car has MAD POWA! Don't think I even got to floor the gas pedal completely during the entire course.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Jun 7, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Holy crap you got rid of the Lancer. Just after you got your suspension figured out too.

I say autocross it.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could always pick up a cheap civic or something if you're serious about autocrossing. I'm sure the mercedes is more than capable (if a lancer can race anything can) my only concern would be on the cost of fixing things like brakes, the odd suspension bit and such. Plus once you start autocrossing it you know you'll want to change things on it.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

You can race anything, but being competitive with it is a different story.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

autocrossing is fun no matter what you drive. there was a guy I met at my last event that ran an integra with 320,000 miles on the original engine. I love it.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Could always pick up a cheap civic or something if you're serious about autocrossing. I'm sure the mercedes is more than capable (if a lancer can race anything can) my only concern would be on the cost of fixing things like brakes, the odd suspension bit and such. Plus once you start autocrossing it you know you'll want to change things on it.
That's what i'm afraid of...

I know that i'll convince myself to do a little here and a little there then eventually get the whole suspension setup done and then some.

Quick Reply: To autocross or not to autocross?