Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lime Rock SCCA T2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lime Rock SCCA T2

This has been one of those long race weekends...not because of major breakdowns etc., but because it started last Monday. Yeah, Lime Rock has some weird schedule where they have their test day on Tuesday then qualificaton on Friday and race Saturday. So since I had never seen Lime Rock, much less raced it, I needed a test day to learn the track. Monday night I tow the rig up to the track and make it just in time to drop it off before they close the gates.

Tuesday morning bright and early I make my way to the track figuring that Lime Rock will be like every other track I've been to and start practice at ~9am. This is where I should have realized they have different water here in Lakeville, CT. They let me in but looked at me funny... only when I asked what time the first run group goes out did I realize why... 12:30 was the response...ummm it's 7:30

I had plenty of time to set things up and prep the car. I also used some of the time to review the video Marty had provided me from his race here last year. Actually, on Sunday he came over and turn by turn went though the whole track, using the video as a guide. After a while Bill Z. (wtz) showed up and we chatted...he took the time to use a track map and walk me through the turns etc.

Finally sometime after 1pm I finally get on the track. Wow for such a little track it sure does have a lot of character. Slowly but surely with Bill's help and reviewing Marty's video I get the basics down so that by the time my 4th session is over I run a best lap of 1:02.8, not to shabby for a newbie. So I prep the car for quals and leave everything at the track for a few days.

Back at it this morning... two qual sessions, Once again the Lime Rock way...lets start at....hmmmm... 10am. So in the first session I go out on A comp Hoosiers thinking they should drop my time a good bit. I failed to account for the heat and humidity... the track was slick even before a couple cars dropped their fluids on it. Suffice it to say I ran a 1:02.727, so faster than the test day, but not what I was going after. By all accounts the afternoon was going to be hotter and slicker, but heck I know I left time on the track so I need to go pick it back up

Second session I went out with intentions of hanging back and getting some clean laps following wtz as he has a lot more experience on this track. So we did...went out last... but before we even got going some of the first to go out are coming back around on a hot lap...there goes the first few laps. After a few more laps I realize this is going no where and I'm just smoking my tires and running low on gas, so I pull in to the hot pits to let things cool down and maybe I can find a nice hole in the traffic as others finish and return to the paddock. So after setting for a few minutes i see Charles K. in his white Evo 9 has done the same thing and pulled up to my bumper waiting for a hole. I decide it's time to go and we both pull out. It turns out a couple vettes or the like are coming on a hot lap, so this is all to familiar. I let the first one by and then decide I'm going hard to keep the other behind me...it works, but in the process I loose Charles as well. First lap around I pull a 1:03.1, no joy...just as I approach the first turn out of the pits comes a streak of an Evo. WTZ looking for a little hole as well, I grab on to his bumper and try and pull his draft...if nothing else he is an excellent rabbit! Chasing him around the next couple of laps and I lay down a 1:02.311. I was looking for a 1:01, but in the heat I'll take that.

So that sets up the race for tomorrow like this:

1. Dave Brand - Lotus Elise - 1:01.425
2. Don Knowles - Pontiac Solstice GXP - 1:01.536
3. Bill Ziegler (wtz) - Evo 8 (9 drivetrain) - 1:01.556
4. CJ Moses - Evo 9 MR - 1:02.311
5. Dominic Cimino - SRT-4 - 1:02.744
6. Joe Aquilante - Firebird - 1:03.914
7. Charles Keane - Evo 9 - 1:06.736 (get this boy some good tires!)

Stay tuned for the results sometime tomorrow!

Last edited by VR4orceCJ; Jul 28, 2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the awesome update CJ. great luck tomorrow!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CJ, where has Marty been?

Good luck tomorrow!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Good luck tomorrow!
It seems this season has been intermitent for both of us... he pulled his tranny to have the 3rd and 5th gear synchros replaced.

Rest assured he will be back in rare form in a couple of weeks starting with VIR and then if everything works out we with both be doing a double race at Pocono the weekend of the 18th. After Pocono we are both done except for the National Championships in Topkea.

Thanks...
Old Jul 28, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Good luck tomorrow!

Actually Lime Rock wasnt on either of our schedules. Its not a great Evo track and its a long way to go. Unfofrtunately CJ missed a coupe races (summit and beaverun) so he was in scramble mode to make those races up. I did want to go to the Glenn but it wasnt meant to be. Only the top 6 races count in points, 2 of those can be out of region. CJ and I are both trying to make sure we finish in the top 3 in the division as the SCCA pays for the travel costs of the top 3 from each division. WTZ has a near lock on the number 1 position at this point, and I am currently in 2nd with CJ 4th.
Marty
Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome have fun. I have done a ton of track time there in my formula car, was running 00:53's. The top of the hill you get airborne!

Only real places to pass at LRP is exiting the down hill, the straight, and going into turn 1. Just shove your nose on the inside going into turn one and late brake, not too late. lol Force him to take the turn on the outside or drive into you.

If you are hitting the uphill and you are not seeing your life flash before your eyes, you are not hitting it fast enough. You would be amazed how fast you can do the uphill. No lift in a f-car. The key to the uphill is to turn hit the apex aiming your car straight like you are heading off track. Then you do the rest of your turning when the suspension compresses. Huge grip once you get the uphill compression, use it. I explained it very poorly would need to walk the track with you. Talk to someone who has run LRP a lot and ask them what is the correct way to do the uphill.

You are lucky back just a few years ago the uphill had a 2 foot runoff then a wall, not a tire wall, a wall. I hit that wall. Now they have a tire wall thank god.

HAVE FUN!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats to WTZ for winning the race, and for winning the NE Region National title and for completing a perfect season by winning the needed 6 races to max out the points. Ill let CJ and Bill tell the story but Bill got a great jump from the start, CJ got stuck behind Don Knowles for a bit who was running very slow for some reason, he later picked it up and ran the fastest time of the day. CJ had his sights on the 3rd place car and was reeling him in slowly lap after lap all while being stuck behind an AS car, CJ knew he was being held up so he went for a pass into one and went in a bit to hot for the slick track and spun out. He got back in the chase and was able to finish a respectable 5th. It was the same spot WTZ spun out last year . Ill put the video of Bill from last year below so you have an idea what CJ saw, fortunatly CJ didnt have the collision Bill did. I also included a video I found that shows what happens when you screw up the up hill section.
Marty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USzemeETDCY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n7Q5ZeV5ud0

T2
1 B. Ziegler Evo 1:01.748
2 Don Knowles Solstice GXP 1:01.348
3 Dom Cimino Neon SRT4 1:03.017
4 Brand Lotus 1:01.434
5 Moses Evo 1:03.192
6 J.Aquilante Firebird 104.994
Keane Evo 103.192

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Jul 29, 2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats! LRP is a classic
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Bill congrats on the win. Nice run also CJ!!!

Last edited by JRB_EVO; Jul 29, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats to Bill for a well deserved win! CJ was hauling *** even after spinning and finished really well, great job to the Evo crew, this was NOT an easy race with the weather and cars like the Solstice GXP and the Lotus. Btw, the Solstice GXP is the car to have, going to be way faster than the Evo.

Someone slap me if I show up to an event again on RA-1s. At this cars weight they are useless after 3 laps. Who wants to donate some Hoosiers?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:10 AM

Congrats to Bill !
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Congrats to Bill for a well deserved win! CJ was hauling *** even after spinning and finished really well, great job to the Evo crew, this was NOT an easy race with the weather and cars like the Solstice GXP and the Lotus. Btw, the Solstice GXP is the car to have, going to be way faster than the Evo.

Someone slap me if I show up to an event again on RA-1s. At this cars weight they are useless after 3 laps. Who wants to donate some Hoosiers?

Good job Charles, was that our fast lap posted or was that CJs time repeated?
Mart
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Gratz again guys. On that second video, it didn't 'seem' like he let off and the line was ok, maybe took it too sharp? was it just really slick or what?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

Well...things didn't go as well as I would have hoped. The car was setup good and I had a good feel for the track. The morning of the event it rained like crazy...just ask WTZ as he went out in the morning practice session, which was during a down pour...he looked good in rain trim. The weather cleared just after the practice session and in time for the first race to go out. The Miatas did a good job to dry the line enought for us to go out on DOT slicks.

At the start I was behind Don Knowles in his GXP and for whatever reason his car didn't really move at the start...so I dove to his left and my luck...there is the Lotus in the way not really moving either... so Don puts his nose to my inside as we enter turn one...so I'm in the center (on the mirror slick concrete), needless to say my start wasn't good and one of the other T2 cars and a few AS (American Sedan) cars got by me at the start

Halfway through the first lap going up the hill I and and a AS guy take Don Knowles on the inside. Then the AS car and I start a battle as I'm quicker through the turns and just as fast on the straights, but over all pretty close. We run bumper to bumper for several laps..each lap I pulled out on him and forced him to brake deep...intentionally trying to get him to overheat his brakes. Well after doing this a a handful of times it worked and I out broke him in to turn 1. I got on line and started throught the long sweeping, yet decreasing radius turn...and this is where it goes bad apparently I was to shallow cuasing the front end to wash out and shot me off the track, with all the rain the grass was slick and immediately the rear kicked out on me and in to a spin I went...right back out on to the track in the path of oncoming traffic. If you watched Bill's video you can see pretty much what happend to me...except I got really lucky and everyone evaded me...Don Knowles had the toughest job, but being and ole' pro he slipped by. I took me a few seconds to get the car re-fired (I must not have gotten both feet in quick enough). I got back in the right direction and checked out the condition of the car...hmmm check engine light, and a slight vibration but the gauges all read good. I figured junk on and in the tires and some sort of code for spining in circles

Up and running, knowing I just screwed my chances a podium finish I decide it's time to push it (but not too far again). I get back up to speed and start picking cars off... and made my way up to 5th place. Not the finish I was looking for, but I guess it is part of the learning experience.

Congrats to Bill Z (WTZ) for securing the NE Region Championship with a perfect point total, 2 of the 3 crowns in hand he will be in rare form at the Runoffs!

Thanks to Martin and the guys at AMS, Marti and the crew at VIP Garage and Jon at TRE as the car ran flawless all week...just wish the driver did

Next up for me is the Pocono Double the third weekend of August...so everybody pull for Marty at VIR in couple of weeks!
Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Good job Charles, was that our fast lap posted or was that CJs time repeated?
Mart
Hi Marty, I think that may have been CJs lap repeated, there was no way I was running that fast, my car was absolutely useless with those tires and stock suspension at that weight. Maybe a big tire deal will fall through before Pocono, who knows.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock SCCA T2