Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Leaving for X Games this morning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge effort, to bad the luck wasn't on your side. Nice work to both teams for putting it out there.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

Hey, this is Alex from DSG. We're still in CA. I'm leaving tomorrow night. The c overage was sort of spotty about what actually happened. We were the fastest qualifying of the remaining competitors so a final round was decided pitting Travis against us for bronze. They didn't air it and we didn't know that it wasn't being aired as it happened. Apparently this was due to the skateboard event running overtime and biting into the rally air time.

During our second outing which was against McRae we were staged for about 15 minutes presumably because of television. The car was running off and on as Ramana and Colin were staged at the start. Ramana noticed the water temp climbing so he shut the car off and restarted it right before he was set to go. The car's ECU had been put into limp mode by the high temp, common for Autronic and this resulted in retarded ignition timing and a 4500 rev limit. The car stalled off the start and had absolutely no power so he was not able to make a 70ft gap jump. He pulled off (smartly)

We were able to diagnose a faulty resistor box which was part of the replacement program from the jump damage within 6 minutes and get the car back out in time to run again. This was a total freak of nature for this car. It has been super reliable. The entire fan unit was working earlier and we can only assume that the unit was damaged in the morning practice when it was bashed a few times. It was a bad and very unexpected chain of events but at least we got back out onto the course. We had a great time this week. Ramana did awesome. We wish that he had better luck though. Maybe next time.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

^ Good Write up I was wondering how much different it would be with the tv aspect. Thank you for the inside info.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the heck channel was it on? I couldnt find it to watch it. I was PO'd.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's called ABC.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats guys! Fourth!! You did an amazing job. Fixing a wrecked car to stay in the event - classic rally team work.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

So I have a dumb question: who pays for all this? Does XGames give money, even when the person doesn't win? Kinda like in Football, even the losing team still gets $? or is it winners take all?

I mean I am sure that whole ordeal wasn't exactly cheap, trashing a car, rebuilding it, etc... who foots the bill?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

Hey guys, we're back at the shop today. I just uploaded a ton of pics. Probably over 100 from our whole experience. There are a lot of super moto pics from the pits also. I think that people will like those a lot. The motorcycle teams have money beyond comprehension.

http://www.dentsport.com/gallery/v/dsg/events/XGAMES13/

-Alex
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

PM me a price on fender rolling.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That will buff right out. I was watching the race with my wife....she couldn't stop laughing at me. Kept chanting Subi Subi Subi.
Next year will be a different story.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
Huge thanks to Ron (above) for keeping our web viewers updated while we're incommunicado. Today was a good day. We are pitted next to McRae and the rest of the VT Sportscar contingent. We met Mike Huml today and went to Road Race yesterday in a search for spare parts. Everyone has been super helpful and really nice to us.

The car is rebuilt as of 1am yesterday thanks to Derek and Mike of Cascade, (and us). We welded a new front end onto the car. We also have a new radiator, fenders, hood, bumper, oil cooler, intercooler, pipes and subframe. in the rear we pressed out the fender with a floor jack and a ram jack and actually have the car looking like an evo again. Bill uploaded some pics of the rebuild process at Rhys Millen's shop (who was very generous to lend us his shop!)

The Mitsubishi is running strong!!
Alex,

You guys rock - it was great meeting you guys.

Big congrats getting the car back together and competing, you are the real heroes of this race, and you have showed the world what "rally guys" are all about by getting your car to the show on Sunday. We were all pulling for you in the stands -

On an SBR note, you guys can check out my blog of you would like to see the story, I will have more rally blog's up soon both from myself and our driver ACP.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/sbrblog/?cat=5

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats Guys!!! Good job ... I only wished I recorded this on DVR as I missed airing due to the Solo Mid-Divs ...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
Account Disabled

Mike, I have some pics of you that I should find. Thanks for letting us watch the moto races from your trailer. I think that we both did well considering that we don't have unlimited funds to replace borked parts. I almost wet myself at the prospect that yours and Kens car might both be limping to the finish line at the same time. I was shouting Noonan! Noonan! Trying to cast a Caddyshack spell on the Subaru. He hit everything but the lottery on that run.

I was also trying to help you guys issue a protest amongst the chaos. The rules evaporated on Sunday for sure.

Anyway, you guys have my respect. That was a fun week (but hard work) and we all represented well. Maybe if we find a sponsor for next year we'll do it again.

Al
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by dentsportgarage

We were able to diagnose a faulty resistor box which was part of the replacement program from the jump damage within 6 minutes and get the car back out in time to run again. .
This is why I always wire the second fan in my rally car to a H/D cockpit switch. That way I don't have to worry about relays and ecu's. It's saved my rear after hard landings on more than one stage.

Thanks to you and Slowboy for flying the Mitsu flag at Xgames! All of us mitsu rally guys appreciate it. Now, if we can just get them to start paying contingency again....

DEM

Last edited by flyboy122; Aug 13, 2007 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaving for X Games this morning