Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Scott Speed out of a job

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NY Evolutionary
The worst part is that STR will have a much better package next year due to new aerodynamics engineer (adrian newie)
Newie built this years car.
The STR and RB3 are both Newie designed.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bourdais secures 2008 Toro Rosso seat

Toro Rosso have confirmed that three-time Champ Car series champion Sebastien Bourdais will race for the team in 2008 as Sebastian Vettel’s team mate. Bourdais replaces Italian incumbent Vitantonio Liuzzi.

Frenchman Bourdais, who has tested on three occasions for Toro Rosso this year, will be free to join the team after the final round of this year's Champ Car campaign on December 2.

Bourdais, 28, is currently leading the series with the Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing team and has won the title for the past three years. Prior to building his career in the United States, he was crowned Formula 3000 champion in 2002.

"It has been a long time coming, but here we are!" said Bourdais. "I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull for believing in me and giving me this long-awaited opportunity to race in Formula One. I must also thank Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing for letting me pursue my dream and allowing me to test for Scuderia Toro Rosso a few times this year."

-speed channel
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by r.m.s.
Bourdais secures 2008 Toro Rosso seat

Toro Rosso have confirmed that three-time Champ Car series champion Sebastien Bourdais will race for the team in 2008 as Sebastian Vettel’s team mate. Bourdais replaces Italian incumbent Vitantonio Liuzzi.

Frenchman Bourdais, who has tested on three occasions for Toro Rosso this year, will be free to join the team after the final round of this year's Champ Car campaign on December 2.

Bourdais, 28, is currently leading the series with the Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing team and has won the title for the past three years. Prior to building his career in the United States, he was crowned Formula 3000 champion in 2002.

"It has been a long time coming, but here we are!" said Bourdais. "I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull for believing in me and giving me this long-awaited opportunity to race in Formula One. I must also thank Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing for letting me pursue my dream and allowing me to test for Scuderia Toro Rosso a few times this year."

-speed channel
Knew that was coming...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow - love to know what was offered, as far as an explanation to their progress (or lack there of) so far?????
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Former Toro Rosso driver Scott Speed has revealed he is heading back to the United States, after his premature exit from Formula One racing earlier this month. Speed was replaced by German driver Sebastian Vettel following a run-in with the team’s management at July’s European Grand Prix.

“It’s been a great ride, but I’m coming home,” the American said on his website. “Over the past five years I have had the privilege of driving at the some of the most challenging and exciting racing circuits in the world. It did not always go the way I wanted but Formula One racing has been a great experience for me and I really appreciate the support from all of my fans. It has made me stronger, smarter and a better racer.”

Before his departure, Speed had endured a difficult second season with Toro Rosso, retiring from seven races and qualifying no higher than 14th. A Red Bull-backed driver since winning the company’s US driver search programme in 2003, Speed has already paid a visit to Red Bull chief Dietrich Mateschitz to explore his future options.

“I wanted to begin with those who have been the most supportive of my talents and potential,” he explained. “As such, Red Bull Austria was the natural choice. I have had a great meeting with Dietrich Mateschitz, who became very excited about the possibility of my racing back in the good ol' USA. I am coming back to America on a fact-finding tour, looking at the various racing series, and talking with some of the top American teams.”

When he joined Toro Rosso in 2006 Speed was the first American to compete in Formula One racing since Michael Andretti drove for McLaren back in 1993.
-speed channel
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I've wanted to see Bourdais in F1 for a while... I wish he were going to a better team though! Everyone knows, unless you're on one of the top teams, you have no chance of a good finishing position. I'd hate to see him leave F1 in a few years with no good results just because he was on a crappy team.

I don't think Scott Speed will have any problems finding some kind of ride back in the US.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone that has met or worked with Scott Speed will understand when I say

"Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy..."

He had an attitude problem from the start of the Red Bull driver search which was just compounded when he was put with the snobby characters in the F1 ranks. Those that worked with him or tried to get an interview with him will back me up on this.

Its a shame really. To be honest though, wouldnt every one of us be a bit stuck on ourselves if we were being paid close to millions to drive a race car in F1? Oh well. Rumor out of Germany has Scott going to Red Bull's struggling Nascar team. Seeing as how the team director just quit siting "differences in opinion on the teams future direction," this sounds like it could happen. If they replace Brian Vickers, Team Red Bull Nascar will have the distinct honor of ruining two American open wheel careers. (AJ Almendinger being the other)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

I smell speed in a Red Bull Toyota NASCAR soon...... we'll see.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
I smell speed in a Red Bull Toyota NASCAR soon...... we'll see.
See above. The other big rumor regarding that team is a switch to Chevy, backed up by Joe Gibbs Racing switching to Toyota. We shall see. I have been impressed with RB's entries, they are working with a pure rookie (AJ) and a largely over-rated driver (Vickers) and have easily been the most impressive Toyota. To be far, they probably are spending the most money too,
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Anyone that has met or worked with Scott Speed will understand when I say

"Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy..."

He had an attitude problem from the start of the Red Bull driver search which was just compounded when he was put with the snobby characters in the F1 ranks. Those that worked with him or tried to get an interview with him will back me up on this.

Its a shame really. To be honest though, wouldnt every one of us be a bit stuck on ourselves if we were being paid close to millions to drive a race car in F1? Oh well. Rumor out of Germany has Scott going to Red Bull's struggling Nascar team. Seeing as how the team director just quit siting "differences in opinion on the teams future direction," this sounds like it could happen. If they replace Brian Vickers, Team Red Bull Nascar will have the distinct honor of ruining two American open wheel careers. (AJ Almendinger being the other)
Interesting. I wonder what kind of results a Scott Speed could produce in a oval with a lil rub and bump action.