Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sold the Evo, New Racecar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen that car run at PIR. Very fast and clean car. Have fun with it. Owner is very nice guy. I might take that route someday too. It is not the dark side it is the economical side. haha.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Robi...

That 2:01.5 record refers to Bongiovanni...not you...
It's no slight on Dave either...Hartanto is an AMAZING driver...as good as 97% of the SWC touring drivers, no doubt, so my comments are not an affront to anyone!

[QUOTE=robi;4620940][QUOTE=Percywork;4614005]Well...

The fastest honda Challenge H1 cars are actually routinely faster than Evos up to say, TTA levels of preparation. In norcal the H1 track record at t-hill is 1:59, in TTA 2:01.5 (an Evo). At infineon (sears) the H1 record is 1:49++, TTA record by an Evo is 1:51. Both cars were running Toyos, both cars running very develped suspensions (DMS on the Evo, JRZ ont he K20 Civic), both experienced drivers, with the Honda driver having a little bit of an edge on talent...

do I resemble this remark..lol.....and remember the evo was 3450.....with driver the honda prob wasn't 2000....and If you can handle a twitchy short wheelbase crx ANYTHING will be easier to drive...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Great choice!

You will be very happy with the reliability and how EZ they are to work on. Not much to a Honda. I can help you with setup, as we run 2 F production CRX's.

As for lap times, at Autobahn south, I ran a 1:33 in my EP Prelude and a 1:37 in the FP CRX (still stock eng but AEM EMS and Hytech exhaust on the CRX). In the AMS TA car, I ran a 1:29. Keep in mind the Hondas were on bias ply slicks and the AMS TA car is a unlimited TA car and has twice as much power as the Prelude and 4x more than the CRX. Bang for the buck you cant go wrong with a honda.

BTW, my EP Prelude is for sale.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, a good idea for you would be to sell your B series package, install a d-series (si engine), mount some slicks, and run F production with the SCCA. The level of competition is much higher in SCCA than NASA. No offense guys but its the truth.

We've been pretty competative with a stock engine with proper tuning and with the right suspension set-up. No where near the $ that was put into the Prelude. With the built d motor we have planned for the runoffs, it should be a top contender for the national championship.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

A shifter cart with 30hp is not something to just jump into and learn. Those things are crazy fast and are very close to scale as a Indy car. Also with that much power, mistakes are EZ to cover up. A non-shifter will teach you more on how to carry speed. But hes right, a kart is not cheap and is expensive to maintain.

A FP CRX is the way to go or a Spec Miata because of the Mazda ladder program.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

The problem for me with going with the D-series set-up is that I like to Time Trial as well, and I enjoy an actually fast car... the CRX as it stands now is ACTUALLY fast vs. being relatively fast...215 WHP vs, what 80 or 100? I can't get into the "purity of racing" thing enough to ignore a car that is bog slow, like a miata or the CRX you describe. No offense, but I would rather run with NASA, and ITE in norcal (actually a growing and diverse group of cars) than drive a slow car. What I am interested in hearing from you, mr. Dizzle, is some feedback on all the assertions I am hearing that the CRX is "twitchy"...meaning what? direct and immediate, or oh my god I'm in terminal oversteer mode twitchy?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Our CRX's with a stock engine, AEM EMS, Hytech Exhaust is putting down 120whp. Our FP legal motor should put down at least 30 more. These cars are far from slow and carry a lot of speed around corners. With driver theyre 1950lbs! Take a look at NASA rules, these cars would have to run in H1. They did 2:38 with the stock motor around Road America and thats a horsepower track, compare to NASA results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236265

As for twitchy. The CRX has a very short wheelbase and wide track, therfore it can swap ends on you rather quickly IF you upset the car and/or have an improper setup. Also, all FWD cars need to be set up loose to reduce the amount of abuse on the front tires because they not only turn and slow down the car, they also accelerate the car. So its important that the car is set up to rotate upon turn in so you can pick up the gas earlier. Scrubbing the tires or turning all the way to track out after apex will chew up tires and give you slower lap times.

But a CRX is a car that you need to be confident in your inputs and the cars handling characteristics.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thaks for your input, it is VERY helpful! I may be in touch via PM regarding the option of setting up my car for the SCCA class you mentiooned. How do you get a 91 CRX si down to around 1700 pounds?! Amazing.

Originally Posted by LDOGGYDIZZLE
Our CRX's with a stock engine, AEM EMS, Hytech Exhaust is putting down 120whp. Our FP legal motor should put down at least 30 more. These cars are far from slow and carry a lot of speed around corners. With driver theyre 1950lbs! Take a look at NASA rules, these cars would have to run in H1. They did 2:38 with the stock motor around Road America and thats a horsepower track, compare to NASA results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236265

As for twitchy. The CRX has a very short wheelbase and wide track, therfore it can swap ends on you rather quickly IF you upset the car and/or have an improper setup. Also, all FWD cars need to be set up loose to reduce the amount of abuse on the front tires because they not only turn and slow down the car, they also accelerate the car. So its important that the car is set up to rotate upon turn in so you can pick up the gas earlier. Scrubbing the tires or turning all the way to track out after apex will chew up tires and give you slower lap times.

But a CRX is a car that you need to be confident in your inputs and the cars handling characteristics.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Checking the SCCA results in my region reveals that there are basically no F production cars. Kind of shoots that Idea down. I think what I need to do for a year is runt he car as it is, get used to it, and then make some decisons down the road what I really want to do.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I would strongly suggest not running ITE(xpensive). I know the Nor/SoCal SCCA region has a good ITE group but buying a cheap race car to run ITE is kind of defeating the purpose.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Its too bad that there arent any FP cars in your region. The thing is, we just got the rules changed to make the CRX competative last season. My teamates budgets have kept us from developing the cars faster. But FP is a very popular class. Below are the SCCA participation numbers for the entire US for 2007. As you can see, it is a very strong class.

SM 1353
SRF 1171
FV 526
EP 403
FA 381
FF 345
GT1 318
DSR 307
FM 304
FC 303
FP 285
AS 243
SSB 243
FE 239
CSR 222
GT2 218
T2 216
F500 212
GTL 208
T1 205
S2000 203
HP 199
T3 197
SSC 195
GT3 188
GP 135
BP 34
DP 31
FB 22
ST 17

As for 1950lbs w driver, thats with ballast! Its actually real EZ. Get rid of the dash, replace with datalogger. Get rid of rear hatch, replace with carbon or fiberglass w/lexan. Exhaust, get a burns stainless muffler, they weigh 3lbs. Cut off all the reinforcment off the doors and leave just enough for the latch mechanism to work. Cut the entire window frames off the doors- this can be huge if your doors are the ones where the seat belts used to attach too. And stripp the entire car of every little thing it doesnt need to operate.

But because of the rule change and we've been showing these cars can be real fast, I expect more to be built. Especially since IMHO, its real EZ and inexpensive to build a fast and competative FP CRX.

Keep in mind, you would be racing in the Production group with E,F,G,H production. Theres always someone to race with. Then if you qualify, the national championship is in October at HPT in topeka and there all classes race by themselves. Last year I believe there were 40+ FP cars! Check this video out, its from Eric Prills Lotus Super 7 behind multi national champion Steve Sargis who is chasing Jesse Prather who won the 2006 National Championship. Now thats some close and fast racing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O8MYfKzcdHQ

PM me anytime.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Percywork
No offense, but I would rather run with NASA, and ITE in norcal (actually a growing and diverse group of cars) than drive a slow car.
Percy -

If you are going to run NorCal ITE, you need to check out Kent Jordan's lap records at all 3 tracks over the past 2 years, to see what a really fast EVO can do. He was beating Vipers, Porsches, etc. every time out. He has moved on now.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

I know Kent's times

ITE has changed back to a reasonable race group. Most of the vipers, etc are gone now, and it is a group of 15 or so cars witht he fastest ones being in the 1:48-9 range at Sears and the 1:59 range at t-hill...I can be competitive in this group, and will always have somene to race with. The FP scenario above is intriquing though...I need to see what other cars are in the production group, and that might be another option. By the Way, thanks Lawrence, and I will probably be in touch.

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Percy -

If you are going to run NorCal ITE, you need to check out Kent Jordan's lap records at all 3 tracks over the past 2 years, to see what a really fast EVO can do. He was beating Vipers, Porsches, etc. every time out. He has moved on now.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Racing in ITE is no more expensive than racing in any other class.
Also, the car was inexpensive to buy, relatively, but does not need a lot of preparation to be fast in ITE...just seat time by me to get used to it. A 2000 pound CRX with 215 WHP is capable of coempetitve lap times in that class at the tracks I run at. the only expense that is more than my NASA expenses would be tires....I would run the stickiest tires available in my 14 inch sixe, whcih would probably be hankook slicks...but other than that, where is this so-called increased expense? And the bigger issue is, no matter where and what class I race the CRX in, it will be acres cheaper than racing the Evo, which is one of th emost expensive cars out there to race. An Evo is much more expensive to race, and break, than some of my tt buddies 500 WHP 2700 pound griggs suspensioned mustangs...

Originally Posted by Tsurara
I would strongly suggest not running ITE(xpensive). I know the Nor/SoCal SCCA region has a good ITE group but buying a cheap race car to run ITE is kind of defeating the purpose.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fyreant
i went from honda to evo.. you went the other way.. you should come back to the darkside... we have cookies...

YES me too but i still have my civic with b16... come back the the dark side

STevo

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo, New Racecar