Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sold the Evo, New Racecar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck man...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

go luck thinking about doing the same honda are cheaper to fix for the price of a stock evo motor u can still get a buit honda motor for less
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Percywork
Racing in ITE is no more expensive than racing in any other class.
Well yeah, anyone can throw the minimum safety requirements in a car and put on some street tires and go out there and just pay entry fees. Nobody is arguing that.

With that said, I guess I should specify, being competitive in ITE defeats the purpose of a cheap race car. The power to weight ratio you have looks good and all, but ITE also allows a whole lot of other cars with better platforms, better power to weight ratios and more engine/suspension development to compete. It's a money class, look at the guys who run it. If you are happy to just get out there, that is fine but if you want to be a front runner you are going to have to spend a lot of money testing and developing the car. The CRX is nice but it is not going to turn the laptimes that a prepped Viper or Porsche is going to turn without some cash.

Since ITE is not a National class I think that all this would be somewhat pointless. But hey, good luck.

Last edited by Tsurara; Aug 10, 2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

look man you got a built b18... drop that thing... get ur self a k20 build it!!!!!!!!... if ur allowed to go over 2.0... contact me i'll tell you how to make that thing fast as heck...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet setup
i had a honda that was a poor excuse for a streetcar that i ran at Pocono and Watkins Glen alot...
i know it would be way faster than my Evo on any track
it was much much lighter made 217whp from the 12.5 to 1 motor and it spun to 10k all day
man seeing this car makes me want to build another track monster honda
good deal and have fun with it
Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn i miss that car

Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

It's not pointless if it makes me happy....I don't fancy myself Ayrton Senna...just a pretty decent driver that wants to have fun... and FYI ITE in norcal only has the big money vipers out every so often. The main competition is a 928, some highly prepped M3's (E-36's) etc....I CAN run with those guys. When I get the car sorted I am a good enough driver to be competitive with the group tat runs most often. and, a K20 is in the cards in the Future...Tsurara I can tell you have a nut on about FWD... that's your thing...not mine. Was looking at the GTL laptimes at Mid Ohio for the very devloped CRX's a few years ago...1:36's on FWD... something to shoot for, and something the car could evlove into. You other guys... thanks fo the encouragement!

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Well yeah, anyone can throw the minimum safety requirements in a car and put on some street tires and go out there and just pay entry fees. Nobody is arguing that.

With that said, I guess I should specify, being competitive in ITE defeats the purpose of a cheap race car. The power to weight ratio you have looks good and all, but ITE also allows a whole lot of other cars with better platforms, better power to weight ratios and more engine/suspension development to compete. It's a money class, look at the guys who run it. If you are happy to just get out there, that is fine but if you want to be a front runner you are going to have to spend a lot of money testing and developing the car. The CRX is nice but it is not going to turn the laptimes that a prepped Viper or Porsche is going to turn without some cash.

Since ITE is not a National class I think that all this would be somewhat pointless. But hey, good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

It's not pointless if it makes me happy....I don't fancy myself Ayrton Senna...just a pretty decent driver that wants to have fun... and FYI ITE in norcal only has the big money vipers out every so often. The main competition is a 928, some highly prepped M3's (E-36's) etc....I CAN run with those guys. When I get the car sorted I am a good enough driver to be competitive with the group tat runs most often. and, a K20 is in the cards in the Future...Tsurara I can tell you have a nut on about FWD... that's your thing...not mine. Was looking at the GTL laptimes at Mid Ohio for the very devloped CRX's a few years ago...1:36's on FWD... something to shoot for, and something the car could evlove into. You other guys... thanks fo the encouragement!
The generalization game

I should state that I have nothing against FWD nor have I ever said I do, I don't think it is an ideal racing platform but my car I used before my Evolution for racing was an Integra, which was also FWD. Please feel free to point out where I said I didn't like FWD though!

I guess if you are happy then have fun, I still don't think you are understanding what I am trying to say though.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have nothing against hondas either I just can't stand the way they sound.

If I were to migrate from an EVO I'd get a C5 Z06.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I have nothing against hondas either I just can't stand the way they sound.

If I were to migrate from an EVO I'd get a C5 Z06.
+1
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
The generalization game

I should state that I have nothing against FWD nor have I ever said I do, I don't think it is an ideal racing platform but my car I used before my Evolution for racing was an Integra, which was also FWD. Please feel free to point out where I said I didn't like FWD though!

I guess if you are happy then have fun, I still don't think you are understanding what I am trying to say though.

you're right, I should not have judged you harshly regarding the FWD issue...I'm probably just sensitive to it because I have taken so much S*** from Evo drivers about that fact...yes, not the optimal set-up or platform, but proven able to go fast if tuned and developed correctly...and Jeske, I could give a rat's *** about the sound. It's not why I'm attracted to race cars. you are right also, Tsurara, about development costs. But, it's all relative. If I get radical with the CRX and go K20, tube frame, motons....I'm looking at about 20,000 more...to do that much suspension, engine and chassis development to an Evo, let alone a porcshe or BMW, viper etc...would cost a TON more. So for 30,000 I've got a car that, if the driver is up to it, can do 1:36 at Mid Ohio (witness the 1800 pound CRX GTL), vs 70-150,000 to go just a hair faster, and in many cases slower....So, it's all relative, apples and oranges. This will probably also not be the last racecar I own. Family planning, etc have dictated a cheaper (relatively) path for now, but one day I would like a fully prepared E-30 M3 race car (still cheaper than vipers, vettes, etc) and can be CRAZY fast. Opinions though are like A*******, everybody has one, and I am most certainly no exception to this rule!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved my CRX. I would have turned it into a racecar if some A#$HOLE didn't steal it at Englishtown. Good luck with it, there so much fun.

We can still chat about F1
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Lol I like the full version of that colloquialism: Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one, and almost all of them stink..."

Dude I like your car. I am looking to get a cheap car myself, with a cage etc that I can afford to fix if I blow it up, have an offtrack event, etc. I am looking at BmW 2002's, Miata's (especially turbo'd). anything cheap and fun.

I love the evo, but just can't afford to track it the way I;d like.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Words
Race platforms aside, what is important is that you are getting out there and actually racing, that says a hell of a lot more than the HPDE kiddies and the guys who buy fast cars to only never bring them above 65mph their entire lives.

Good luck in SCCA!

Quick Reply: Sold the Evo, New Racecar