Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

New Evo for Autocross - BSP and LSD Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Evo for Autocross - BSP and LSD Help Needed

Hey guys,

After some searching, I noticed there wasn't any dedicated BSP thread like there was for A-Stock, SM and STU.

I've been racing F-bodies for the past 3 years, and decided it was time for a change.

I wanted a IX MR with the ACD, but the cost was too much since I'm gearing up to buy a house this year, so i picked up a nice used 03 VIII.

Anyways, I have goals to run BSP and stay there.

Since my front end has no LSD, what recommendations would you make to put one in there? I was thinking the 04 RS LSD, but am not sure the optimal front/rear setup for LSDs on this car for BSP.

Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contact RoadRaceEngineering about getting a Quaife LSD. I believe that shephard has them as well.

http://www.sheptrans.com/
www.roadraceengineering.com

I have one installed in my '03, it was by far the best mod I have done on the car to date.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
contact RoadRaceEngineering about getting a Quaife LSD. I believe that shephard has them as well.

http://www.sheptrans.com/
www.roadraceengineering.com

I have one installed in my '03, it was by far the best mod I have done on the car to date.
Awesome, I'll check it out! Are there significant improvements with the Quaife over the RS LSD?

I know in motorsports you get what you pay for, I'm just trying to get a feel for the differences in the units.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well the '04 RS front transfer case (including diff) is known to be really strong. The quaife is also very good. If you find a deal one or the other, you can't go wrong. Otherwise, you probably just want to price out your options.

For autocross, I don't think folks have been really concerned about getting the absolute best front diff -- so long as they have a limited slip one. There has been lots of talk abou the center one though. There are aftermarket ones with provide a rear bias and that can be really useful in racing.

d
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

I just put an OEM front LSD (same as RS) in my '03 VIII--night & day difference when powering out of sharper maneuvers--no inside wheelspin.

I found one used from the forum for under $500.They're $800 new from Sheppard (one of the vendors). This diff will accomplish what you're looking for.

BTW, Welcome... I came from campaigning C5/Z06 Vettes primarily, since '98
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
I just put an OEM front LSD (same as RS) in my '03 VIII--night & day difference when powering out of sharper maneuvers--no inside wheelspin.

I found one used from the forum for under $500.They're $800 new from Sheppard (one of the vendors). This diff will accomplish what you're looking for.

BTW, Welcome... I came from campaigning C5/Z06 Vettes primarily, since '98
Thanks for the welcome

Thats a good recommendation, and if I spot a used one around the boards, I'll definitely pick that up. I've raced my friends IX MR many times at autocross events, and his LSD and my open diff are so different. The RS LSD sounds like a great bet.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

I just got the rs diff installed on my 03, and so far it feels great. I havent had the chance to autox since its been in, but even on the street (spirited driving) you can tell a difference. Id have to agree with the masses that a front LSD is a MUST DO on 03-04 evos.

You can get the RS diff for $800 from TRE or shep, or the quaife for $1500 from rre. The quiafe does have a lifetime warranty, but i still didnt think that was enough to warrant the $700 premium over the rs diff. Its your call...

I autox w/ FCSCC and CART (well i used to when they were at bristol), and I know a few of the PSG guys. Are you one of their camaro friends who joined the dark side? Welcome!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

i drove his SS before he went to the dark side!! he has a nice yellow evo 8 now!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo II Evo
Awesome, I'll check it out! Are there significant improvements with the Quaife over the RS LSD?

I know in motorsports you get what you pay for, I'm just trying to get a feel for the differences in the units.

Thanks
The RS differential uses bolts to connect both halfs of the diff carrier. According to RRE, these bolts can shear.

the quaife on the other hand, is welded, and carries a lifetime warrentee (even if you race it).
Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nick735

I autox w/ FCSCC and CART (well i used to when they were at bristol), and I know a few of the PSG guys. Are you one of their camaro friends who joined the dark side? Welcome!

Awesome - I'm at almost all of the CART events and i've been to every FCSCC event this year so far. I drove the Red SS under PSG! I'm sportin' the Yellow Bee now.

Thanks for the note!