Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I hate it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also a lot depends on the Organizations/Groups you sign up with. Some groups will charge you less and give you more track time, some will charge more and give you less track time (Eg: NASA). Some tracks charge you a membership fee to run on them, some don't.

Locally, we can use MAM on Fridays with a full day being $150 and half day being $90. No membership fee required, MAM used to have membership fees in the past but recently got rid of them.

Or we can sign up with a club like FindTheLine for an event @ MAM for $150 with lots of track time in one day, 3+hrs of actual track time. Rent a transponder for $15 and you are set.

Or you can go with NASA that charges $40 yearly membership fee, charges anywhere from $150 to $190 per trackday depending on the track and gives you 1 hr and 20 mins on the track per day. Transponder will cost you $50 through NASA and is only allowed in HPDE3 ... with NASA instructors are provided free ... NASA events tend to last 2 days which usually pushes the entry cost to $300 for the weekend.

Bang for buck, being able to get more seat time and ease of obtaining transponder, not having to waste both of my days over weekends. I prefer doing a track day with a local clubs (Eg: FindTheLine). There are plenty of local/regional clubs around tracks that provide more for your money.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree that race tracks in the US are just way to expensive. The closest track to me us Button Willow but that's still a 2 hrs drive away. Gas to and from plus event cost is just way to much for a 1 day thing.

I think the problem is just America itself. People would just sue at everything they could to get rich quick. That's why we can't have a track like Nurburgring, or open track like the Japanese does.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Big fix for a lot of you.....cheaper car.

You can get a lot of track time for the 4-600.00 per month some people on these boards pay for their car....If you are 20-27 years old, driving an Evo, and making no money (35-50,000 per year), you are wasting a good bit of your disposable income. better to get a cheap, beater track car, have fun, learn to drive it, and spend the would be payment on track time.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Percywork
Big fix for a lot of you.....cheaper car.

You can get a lot of track time for the 4-600.00 per month some people on these boards pay for their car....If you are 20-27 years old, driving an Evo, and making no money (35-50,000 per year), you are wasting a good bit of your disposable income. better to get a cheap, beater track car, have fun, learn to drive it, and spend the would be payment on track time.
you're right. i see that I need to sell my 67 camaro and get a race car. its taken me 15 years to repair, restore and rebuild it but you gotta make sacrifices. yep. do work. im selling it to get a race, rally, or drift car.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Tehe. Track events here are $90 for the day.

jeff
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jenx1976
just venting!,
WHY is it that every track day event is geared towards the rich!!!!, I mean first I need to got to a track permit class $200 which is only good for one year!!! then its another $175 to actually drive on the track., i understand the class is for safety., but why should i have to go through the same sh*t every year? No wonder there is alot of people speeding on the streets!, I just wish that there are more racing tracks that would cater to the not so wealthy part of the community., drag racing is cheap!, but I like turns!!!
anyways, I just needed to vent. sorry.

kinda of a dum post i think...

if u want a cheap hobby.. pik roller skating or something...

its difficult to organize a track day.. and a little bit risky... those guys dont make a buncha money on them.. they just enthusiest like u... actualy they are HELPING you out...

go try to rent road atlanta or a nice track like that... u can buy a EVO for what it costs to rent ROAD ATL.. SEBRING.... LAGUNA SECA.... for ONE day....
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jenx1976
only in the us i think... i hear its only $20 per lap on the nurburgring...not sure tho., my area reno-fenrleyraceway very nice track but also expensive!, i think i need a second job so i can support the addiction. hahaha.

"only"?

15 euro a lap.... about 18 dorroRz

for a 13mile track...

so the same as 18 bucks about 4 laps at sebring...

so thats 4.50 a lap....

last time i was at sebring.. i did about 80 laps in 2 days....

thats 360 bucks paying by lap...

compaired to about 275 what i paid......
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I agree. I understand and feel his frustration, which is why I limit myself to autocrossing.

but even that autocrossing be as expensive as running a regular track car. Try building a nationally competitive EVO, and you can easily spend $$$ keeping up with the latest power and suspension mods.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC

its difficult to organize a track day.. and a little bit risky... those guys dont make a buncha money on them.. they just enthusiest like u... actualy they are HELPING you out...

go try to rent road atlanta or a nice track like that... u can buy a EVO for what it costs to rent ROAD ATL.. SEBRING.... LAGUNA SECA.... for ONE day....
Nicely said.
Its alot of work and its an expensive hobby.
But I can see how it is frustrating to try and get into.

I saw you out at MSR houston with TX2K7!
Tearing things up!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

in my region scca days are $150 and if you corner work some events you get days for free! the track time is cheap, what gets expensive is wheels, tires, brakes, race gas, ect ect
Old Aug 22, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I understand that youre venting and that this probably isnt a serious thread, but if youre also looking for some advice id tell you what Percy has recommended, ie sell your Evo and whatever other cars you have. With that money get yourself a cheap DD to get from point A to B, and buy a beater to track. I mean, if you really want to make this happen you can, it just comes down to how much youre willing to sacrifice. What, you think everyone who goes to the track is rich? We all make sacrifices to get by...i know i do.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
I agree. I understand and feel his frustration, which is why I limit myself to autocrossing.

but even that autocrossing be as expensive as running a regular track car. Try building a nationally competitive EVO, and you can easily spend $$$ keeping up with the latest power and suspension mods.
Agreed! In fact getting a cheap beater track car will probably cost you more on maintenance, as the parts tend to be weaker compared to an EVO and more prone to breaking. Have you guys compared the axles on a Honda Civic/Accord to an EVO? But parts are probably so much cheaper that you still come out on top only if you do the labor yourself (I assume).

That is why I'm starting to focus more on auto-x and trying to limit myself to a specific class in auto-x so that I can avoid spending too much money setting up the car. Regardless it's an expensive hobby ...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on spending about $600 per NASA track weekend, presuming everything goes as planed. That's including track fees, a set of brake pads, oil change, gas (at the track, 93 = $4), hotel, food, etc.

It gets up there quick. I missed out on the last one (though I did do two weekends this year) because I didn't feel like dropping that kind of cash (my insurance is due next month). It's a very expensive 'sport', that's just a given going in.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC

correction leh,

road atlanta won't rent out, unless theres competition involved. A pure HPDE day? they will not rent it out. (at least, thats what the clubs i run with are told, if you know otherwise, let a brother know. )

Sebring can't be that much though, esp week days. I'd guess it at around 8-10k?

80 laps in 2 days? were ya part-timin? haha. I normally get 150-180 miles/day at sebring, while still doing the right seat thing.

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

For my local tracks, the daily HPDE rates are typically:

Buttonwillow: $165 - 200. Open Test 'n' Tune (available about one Friday per month) $200.

Big Track at Willow Springs: $145 - 180. Open Test 'n' Tune (race prepped cars only, available 3 Fridays per month) $150 (plus one time annual fee that is not expensive).

Streets of Willow: $125 - 160.

Horse Thief Mile: $110 - 125.

California Speedway Infield - Expensive and not worth it.

California Speedway ROVAL - Expensive but worth it.

I don't consider these rates shocking.

If you are worried about what it costs to run your car, an EVO is one of the most expensive street cars you could run on the track. Get a used Miata.

Quick Reply: I hate it!!!!