Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I hate it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
correction leh,

road atlanta won't rent out, unless theres competition involved. A pure HPDE day? they will not rent it out. (at least, thats what the clubs i run with are told, if you know otherwise, let a brother know. )

Sebring can't be that much though, esp week days. I'd guess it at around 8-10k?

80 laps in 2 days? were ya part-timin? haha. I normally get 150-180 miles/day at sebring, while still doing the right seat thing.

road atl will rent for just a DE... ive been to tons.. not lately tho... but u can rent now with no comp involved.. i know for a fact....

yea.. that would be a littlebit of a relaxing weekend i guess... also with alot of inpit tuning....
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
road atl will rent for just a DE... ive been to tons.. not lately tho... but u can rent now with no comp involved.. i know for a fact....

yea.. that would be a littlebit of a relaxing weekend i guess... also with alot of inpit tuning....
let me know about any de's there. RA wont let chin (tracquest) run there. something about it being competition, and panoz didn't want it. (yet, panoz owns sebring, and we run there all the time).
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

In order to be profitable, the owner has to rent out the track as many days as possible. Why would they turn down business?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
In order to be profitable, the owner has to rent out the track as many days as possible. Why would they turn down business?
the story we're told is that panoz felt that the other "school" (us) would draw people away from the panoz school thats setup there.

laughable, but who knows. was told management just changed hands, or was turned over or something, so we'll see.

I wanna run there next year, but nasa is the only club i know of that does a DE setup, and honestly, nasa sucks. TT is fun, but for track time and cost, nasa sucks.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My home track here in New Mexico is about $75 to run all day (all day 8 plus hours)....No experience needed, classes etc. Sometimes the owner puts on track events that cost only $50 a day. We have it very good down here. If you are ever in the southwest stop on in.

Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I wanna run there next year, but nasa is the only club i know of that does a DE setup, and honestly, nasa sucks. TT is fun, but for track time and cost, nasa sucks.
+1. Fortunately, we have lots of other options for HPDE/open lapping than NASA in California.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Great prices. Wonder if I will get out there someday. Are there any elevation changes, or is it all flat?

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
My home track here in New Mexico is about $75 to run all day (all day 8 plus hours)....No experience needed, classes etc. Sometimes the owner puts on track events that cost only $50 a day. We have it very good down here. If you are ever in the southwest stop on in.

Old Aug 24, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Great prices. Wonder if I will get out there someday. Are there any elevation changes, or is it all flat?
Not just that, but check THIS out.

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/track_info.shtml

d

EDIT: Richard, we're starting up a time trials program next season. You should come out for a june race in ABQ.

Last edited by donour; Aug 24, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is one of the reasons that I won't be running with NASA for a while. Bang for buck sucks. The amount of track time you get vs the amount you pay is not comparable to most other clubs.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Organizations like NASA and SCCA aren't meant for track time but for competition. Don't know why you guys are complaining about 'em.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Organizations like NASA and SCCA aren't meant for track time but for competition. Don't know why you guys are complaining about 'em.
any program that has an hpde element (which in nasa's case is the majority, not the minority), is a driver-learning setup.

A really crappy driver learning setup, but yet, thats what the majority of the event is about. Not a 20 minute sprint race with 2 qual groups. Sure, thats great for compeititon, as you actually have some, but i'll take my 5-6 hrs of track time, and run 2:30 - 3 hrs, and sit right side for another 1- 1:30 helping out.

Lots more learned than my 3, 20 minute weinie sessions.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SCCA I can understand since in our region we don't even have an HPDE program (PDX) from SCCA but NASA is different. 4 of their runs groups during a NASA event are HPDEs. There are different racing groups you have to share the track time with (time share). I wouldn't mind going to NASA events if I were actually competing (doing TT or door to door racing) but I'm not. I'm doing HPDEs and before you can get to TT and Racing you need lots of seat time, of which I'm not getting much of through NASA.

Why pay $300 for 2 day with NASA (not including accomodations, fuel and food) when you can get the same amount of track time for $150 with some other local clubs? Not only that but different instructors from different regions will give you different answers on what HPDE levels mean. How quickly you can progress through HPDE levels is very dependant on which region you are in. That doesn't sit very well with me since I happen to be on the extreme border of 2 different regions. Simple ...
Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sponge bob
Track fees are expensive everywhere you go and the clubs I’m aware of are not in it for profit making.
That's the bottom line, folks. Track rental isn't cheap...at least not any of the premium venues. Then you've got to pay corner workers, have a wrecker and ambulance on standby, get insurance coverage, print student manuals, etc., etc. Even if you're a non-profit club run by volunteers, the costs escalate VERY quickly!

Just to give you an idea, when we run events at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant with the BMW Club of Quebec, we pay around $15,000 per day just for track rental. When you add everything else up a 3-day weekend costs us around $55,000.

We can't allow 800 students into the event to bring the costs down. We're limited to maybe 30-40 per group before traffic gets excessive. So, you're looking at maybe 100 students who have to cover that cost. We have to charge each student $550 just to break even.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Sep 1, 2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jenx1976
only in the us i think... i hear its only $20 per lap on the nurburgring...not sure tho., my area reno-fenrleyraceway very nice track but also expensive!, i think i need a second job so i can support the addiction. hahaha.
First of all, the Nordschlieffe is a special case: it's a public toll road. It's not really fair to compare it to privately-owned facilities (as most racetracks in the world are).

Besides, since when do you calculate event costs on a per-lap basis When I run a track weekend, I get a hell of a lot more than one lap! If I calculated the per-lap price, I'd be looking at single-digit numbers.

Let's say you go to Mosport and get charged $150 per day as a student. You get 4 sessions of 20 minutes each. The absolute slowest driver in the world will get 8 laps in that time (most will get much more). So, you're looking at 32 laps per day...which comes to aroud $4.75 per lap. Not too bad. Especially when you consider that price includes 1-to-1 instruction, corner workers, and all that safety equipment.

Originally Posted by tvbf1
I think the problem is just America itself. People would just sue at everything they could to get rich quick. That's why we can't have a track like Nurburgring, or open track like the Japanese does.
There are no other tracks like the Nordschlieffe anywhere else in the world. You make it sound like America is weird because we don't have something that no one else has either!

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Sep 1, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
That's the bottom line, folks. Track rental isn't cheap...at least not any of the premium venues. Then you've got to pay corner workers, have a wrecker and ambulance on standby, get insurance coverage, print student manuals, etc., etc. Even if you're a non-profit club run by volunteers, the costs escalate VERY quickly!

Just to give you an idea, when we run events at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant with the BMW Club of Quebec, we pay around $15,000 per day just for track rental. When you add everything else up a 3-day weekend costs us around $55,000.

We can't allow 800 students into the event to bring the costs down. We're limited to maybe 30-40 per group before traffic gets excessive. So, you're looking at maybe 100 students who have to cover that cost. We have to charge each student $550 just to break even.

Emre
we're not complaining about the track fees (well maybe a few are.)

We're complaining about the track time that goes along with those fees. 4 - 20 minute sessions SUCKS.

I just wish there was a club outta florida/southeast that really ran it better, on a national scale.

I run with Chin motorsports (tracquest), and safe motorsports (safe is a smaller setup). Chin gives you between 4-6 hours of track time, and i believe at least 4, even with you being a novice and doing the classroom stuff.

Prices are similar, but the bang for the buck is there. You get to pick when you wanna go out (normally they're either completely open track other than the first sessions, or they're hour long blocks of track time). This totally negates traffic. My personal fastest lap around sebring, was hit around 9:30 - 10 am on a sunday event, whereas normally everybody has to wait til the end of the day to have traffic clear out.

:rant off: All i'm saying is if you want good track time and instruction, and chin/tracquest runs an event by you, take advantage of it. i've probably run 30-35 events with them in the last few years.

Quick Reply: I hate it!!!!