Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I hate it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
any program that has an hpde element (which in nasa's case is the majority, not the minority), is a driver-learning setup.

A really crappy driver learning setup, but yet, thats what the majority of the event is about. Not a 20 minute sprint race with 2 qual groups. Sure, thats great for compeititon, as you actually have some, but i'll take my 5-6 hrs of track time, and run 2:30 - 3 hrs, and sit right side for another 1- 1:30 helping out.

Lots more learned than my 3, 20 minute weinie sessions.
+1. I spent labor day weekend (Sat. and Sun. only, not Mon.) on the big track at Willow Springs with SpeedVentures. Traffic was fairly low and I was given permission to run in two run groups (for no extra charge). I got 15 (count em, 15) 25-minute run sessions over the course of two days.

You can have your stinkin' NASA.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
+1. I spent labor day weekend (Sat. and Sun. only, not Mon.) on the big track at Willow Springs with SpeedVentures. Traffic was fairly low and I was given permission to run in two run groups (for no extra charge). I got 15 (count em, 15) 25-minute run sessions over the course of two days.

You can have your stinkin' NASA.
you and i both know the evo couldn't have taken that length of punishment.

good work.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
you and i both know the evo couldn't have taken that length of punishment.

good work.
You're right about that. I was running my Miata with a brand new crate 1.8 motor. It was 106 degrees and Sat. and 109 degrees on Sun. I spent all day today) Labor Day, recovering. The car is fine.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

If you're *****ing about the cost of track time, you can't afford to drive your car that hard _period_.

Forget the cost of the entry fee, what about gas at $3.50/gallon when your car will consume 7-10 gallons every session for 3-4 sessions per day (that's $150 in gas alone for a day)? Or having to swap out a set of stock pads after two days on the track? Or killing a set of new street tires in 5-6 weekends? If you really want to talk cost, calculate wear and tear on the car and you'll quickly realize that a weekend costs ~$1,000-$1,500.

If all you want is to go fast, go to your local Wednesday night drags. If you want to push a little harder, go autocross. If you really, really must compete, go karting. There are a lot less expensive ways to get your rush than tracking your car -- most of us went through it when we were young and broke.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ya but the disease calls to you, you cannot just ignore it and take on-ramps at 65mph and be happy. If i were to just do karting and such i would've bought a Tundra

On the Nasa note, Pepsi, I'm wondering why you only got 3 - 20 min sessions? On Sat we got 4 -25 min. sessions......and it is still cheaper then Chin by $50? I agree with your point just wanting to make sure yours didn't differ from my experience.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by peter*g
If you're *****ing about the cost of track time, you can't afford to drive your car that hard _period_.
Are you talking to me??? I never complained about the cost of track time. As you point out, it's cheap compared to other costs, particularly tires.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Are you talking to me??? I never complained about the cost of track time. As you point out, it's cheap compared to other costs, particularly tires.
I was responding to the original poster, who said: 'WHY is it that every track day event is geared towards the rich!!!!'