Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I hate it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate it!!!!

just venting!,
WHY is it that every track day event is geared towards the rich!!!!, I mean first I need to got to a track permit class $200 which is only good for one year!!! then its another $175 to actually drive on the track., i understand the class is for safety., but why should i have to go through the same sh*t every year? No wonder there is alot of people speeding on the streets!, I just wish that there are more racing tracks that would cater to the not so wealthy part of the community., drag racing is cheap!, but I like turns!!!
anyways, I just needed to vent. sorry.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

yeah prices are crazy for events, but well worth it i feel. you also need to think about gas for the event, tires, brakes, safety gear, ect.

it is not a sport for the cheap
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jenx1976
just venting!,
WHY is it that every track day event is geared towards the rich!!!!, I mean first I need to got to a track permit class $200 which is only good for one year!!! then its another $175 to actually drive on the track., i understand the class is for safety., but why should i have to go through the same sh*t every year? No wonder there is alot of people speeding on the streets!, I just wish that there are more racing tracks that would cater to the not so wealthy part of the community., drag racing is cheap!, but I like turns!!!
anyways, I just needed to vent. sorry.
Actually, it's not that expensive.

THe track permit class thing is weird, I won't speak for that. SCCA, NASA, PCA etc charge $40-80 a year for memberships depending on where you live, but that usually gets you things like a magazine, discounts, etc. At my SeatTime days I charge $175 for a "solo" approved driver, and for your first few days I will charge you $225 and you get an instructor with you.

The reason why it caters to the "rich" is the cost it takes to put on an event.

The cost to rent a track for the day are huge, and can be even more huge at some tracks. Track rental, ambulance, workers, insurance, tow truck, fire truck etc can be from $5,500 each day to $15,000+ for a place like Road America.

Divide it up between a handfull of competitors and $175 is a really good price, and still much less than a speeding ticket or raise in insurance.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

if NASA goes to your local track you might be able to swap corner/flag work for track time.. no?

go-karting might also be a cheaper alternative to go fast. a miata would cost alot less to go have fun with.... etc...

It all just depends on how badly you want to go out and make tires squeel.....

n
Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forum04pl
yeah prices are crazy for events, but well worth it i feel. you also need to think about gas for the event, tires, brakes, safety gear, ect.

it is not a sport for the cheap
Don't get me started on tires, brakes and gas! $150 for gas for 1 day can happen pretty easily when you include driving to/from!

That safety permit class thing is new to me. Must be your area.

Auto-x is a cheaper way to start and has some turns. Maybe up to 50 seconds worth...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:57 PM
Account Disabled

I think its well worth it.
Gas, tires, brakes, hotel rooms, and etc get the cost even higher.
But being safe is alot better than going on the streets
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

only in the us i think... i hear its only $20 per lap on the nurburgring...not sure tho., my area reno-fenrleyraceway very nice track but also expensive!, i think i need a second job so i can support the addiction. hahaha.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

its worth it cause its a whole day thing... not just 60-80 min of driving the experience and stuff you learn being there is worth the money....

Cheers!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
Account Disabled

only in the us i think... i hear its only $20 per lap on the nurburgring...not sure tho., my area reno-fenrleyraceway very nice track but also expensive!, i think i need a second job so i can support the addiction. hahaha.
i wish i could drive the nurburgring
they need somehting liek that ober here in the states
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

oh definitely worth the money!!!! if you have it....im just bichin cause i cant afford....=(
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Like 10 laps and you're over the price of what you thought was expensive!

I end up with > 100 miles per track event usually. If it rains, or if it's a DE event with like 5 groups it's less. If it's a straight lapping day; then more.

Overall though, it's just a different culture that allows for that type of opportunity imo. Nothing against the track; it's a dream of mine just to see it!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Track fees are expensive everywhere you go and the clubs I’m aware of are not in it for profit making. In some areas insurance is getting hard to get, that is why many clubs in my area run the event under the heading of “Driver Training” and forbid any kind of timing equipment.

My expenses per day:

Depends on track time but at my local track I get +200 miles per event.

- $185 for track fees
- $150 for gas (just at the track)
- $70 for pads (I figure 25% of a $280 set of front pads)
- $50 in fluids (I always run fresh oil/filter and brake fluid)

$455 per weekend is what I budget.

I could cut back here or there if I run less mileage or conserve the brakes (which is boring) but then I’d still be looking at around $400.00
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

is it insurance that makes it so expensive? i just do autox instead. some day i hope to do time attack. unfortuantely i have 3 mortgage payments that feel like 5 ***** and chains at times. but i just toil, investing in my future cuz some day i will get to race. you just got to want it, sacrifices, bread and water instead of hamburgers, no girlfriend. like dude said, how bad do you want it?

Last edited by MaxR; Aug 22, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaxR
is it insurance that makes it so expensive?
Its all of the above.. a track day breakdown will go like this:

Track rental: $2500 - $12,000
Corner Workers: 6 - 10 @ $90 - $120 each
Ambulance: $600 - $700
Wrecker: $300
Fire Truck: $500 - $700
Insurance: $1300+ depending on level and in some cases # of cars.
Gate Guards: $10/hour

Then there is stuff like supplies: (Tech stuff, club web sites, etc that take up funds)

So if you go to the lowest-equipped track in the country to run, you're going to spend $5500 + on a decent safe track day. Places like VIR and such with more than one gate worker, higher rent, etc just go up and up.

At $175 each that's at least 31 cars to break even minimum, and then groups usually let instructors in free - so you might see 40 cars on track but the club is still not making $..

For SCCA autocross it costs the regions a specific sanction fee, and then $9 per car roughly to run. Once you get into trophies and lot rental, I would say most SCCA regions are not making much if any $ on their autocross programs, but it is a less expensive way to get the fix. (But more $ per min of run time)
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoEntropy
I think its well worth it.
especially in your case Hehe, just kidding! (This is Tim with the silver 9 in Houston) I hope to see you and your Dad on the 22nd of September? the Saturday only Drivers edge event? I am already signed up.

TimK

P.S.:
Gas, tires, brakes, hotel rooms, and etc get the cost even higher.
dont forget broken pistons, exploded intakes, transfer cases, reverses, etc. it adds up FAST!!!

Quick Reply: I hate it!!!!