Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I'm really not at liberty to discuss the details, since the team extends well beyond just me, however, let's just say there were lots of engineers involved both within and external to Goodsport Racing, and we did not use the ANSYS finite element package.

I've used ANSYS in the past...back in command line days. Did they ever integrate a decent GUI for the 3d modeling in ANSYS?

Figured as much on the details, just thought I'd ask

As for the current GUI for ANSYS overall, it's quite good now, very easy for a user to pick up and get accustomed to quickly. As for modeling, I've never used ANSYS for 3D modeling, only FEA; I do all my modeling in Pro-E.

Good luck with the car!

Devin
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Update - JG Pasterjak joins Goodsport 25 Hour Team

Goodsport Racing is pleased to announce the addition of two drivers to the 25 Hour Team.

J.G. Pasterjak, art director of Grassroots Motorsports and resident enduro expert, will join us in our quest. J.G. is a veteran of the NASA 25 Hour and has competed in numerous endurance races, picking up a number of podium finishes along the way. We are delighted to have J.G. join us and hope we can add another trophy to his collection. J.G. should be chronicling his experiences in GRM, so look for us in upcoming issues. For those of you who aren't familiar with GRM, it is a fantastic source for learning what works on autox and road race cars.
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

We are also pleased to announce the addition of Yang Tang to the driving roster. Yang won the 2006 Jim Russell Arrive & Drive Kart Race Series in his rookie year. He is currently racing in the SCCA Formula Russell championship after receiving a Jim Russell Graduate Runoff scholarship. Yang is also the 2007 Northern California TTB Champion where his daily driven 2003 Mitsubishi EVO 8 also holds every track record in class.

The Lancer is coming along nicely, and we just finished painting the cage this evening. Now we get to enjoy fun part...putting it all back together again with some Robispec'd coilovers and lots more little bits and pieces that will make it a race car.

David Bongiovanni
http://www.goodsportracing.com

Last edited by ustcc evo; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

I hope you represent the new generation Lancer well!

I will be subscribing, and the second my warranty is gone I will be contacting those who can get me the things you mentioned!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

I wanna see that thing with coilovers
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK. We have a badass cage, Robi coilovers (best in the business), RB brakes, and some great drivers.

Any tidbits you want to kick us on how you plan to get the 300+ hp?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Redline06
lol.. nice.. I say dich the 4b11 and throw in the good ole 4g63 and it will be a beast..
its amazing how dumb some of you are. Mitsubishi isnt using the 4G63T anymore for a reason. Despite how all you guys think its superior.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sure this is on a few people's minds. Why a regular 08 Lancer?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I'm sure this is on a few people's minds. Why a regular 08 Lancer?
Some thoughts:

A. It's available now.

B. The chassis is stiffer than that of the Evo IX.

C. They're planning 300+ HP, so the motor clearly isn't an issue.

D. Not everyone feels a need to have AWD.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Why a new Lancer? We have to race what is being sold in the dealerships to get attention in racing. Not to mention at the volume the Lancer is being produced, there will be plenty of opportunities to sell parts. Lastly, the Evo X will also be sort of tough to class, too powerful for GA/WC Touring Car but too much frontal area for GA/WC GT, just like the Evo VIII/IX. The Lancer will be at home in many different race classes with a relatively simple engine swap, so it should but a lot more usable for pro racing.

The 300hp won't come until next year, and will require a new engine, TBA. For the 25 we are running the stock 2.0l with a minimum of modifications, keeping us in class E2 to race against Miatas and Honda Civics. A Honda has won three years in a row in the this class, so it should shape up to be one of the best battles in the race.

One of the biggest problems with the 4G was that the combustion chamber shape and other parts of the engine just wouldn't let it keep up with modern emissions regulations. I don't think power and longevity were the issue. 4G full drivetrain conversions for the Lancer may be doable, but wouldn't be legal in CA. I'm hoping the Evo X drivetrain and suspension will bolt right up to the Lancer, but I'm not sure how different the floorpans will be. We'll see...

Last edited by ustcc evo; Sep 14, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Nice passenger seat in picture #4 I would've recommended a milk grate bolted to the floor
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a Robispec suspension, why even call it a "race"?
This is going to be one hell of a project.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The 300hp won't come until next year, and will require a new engine, TBA.
That's a shame. I was hoping we'd learn how to improve the 4B11.

One of the biggest problems with the 4G was that the combustion chamber shape and other parts of the engine just wouldn't let it keep up with modern emissions regulations. I don't think power and longevity were the issue. 4G full drivetrain conversions for the Lancer may be doable, but wouldn't be legal in CA.
Not sure what you're referring to by "4G" - the 4Gxx engine series, a 4th-generation car, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Great work Dave, best of luck to you guys in your efforts. If you need some crew assistance at the 25 hour I'm there for you.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GroundZero
its amazing how dumb some of you are. Mitsubishi isnt using the 4G63T anymore for a reason. Despite how all you guys think its superior.
you dont have either, its not your place to talk
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the warm intro. Very excited to be part of the first Mitsubishi Lancer race team. Can't wait to get in the car.

Took a win starting from 10th spot last weekend in Formula Russell to close out my season. Fortune was definitely on my side as 3 people spun or crashed out ahead of me and the driver who finished 1st got penalized for avoidable contact.

Hope to meet the rest of the team soon.

Cheers,
-Yang

Quick Reply: Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car