Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodsport Racing joins forces with GRM and C&D for NASA 25 Hour

Goodsport Racing is proud to introduce the newest addition to the fleet, the '08 Lancer to be raced in the 2007 NASA 25 Hour on December 1, 2007, and World Challenge and Grand Am in '08. The car has just returned from the cage builder, and will be seen shortly on the track at a NASA Norcal Event.

John Pagel of Evil Genius Racing (http://www.evilgeniusracing.com) has gone above and beyond the call of duty to produce a stellar cage for the Lancer. Using 1.75 x 0.095 DOM Tubing, the cage is skillfully tied into the optimal points on the chassis as determined by FEA analysis. We've put in a minimal amount of the tubes to keep weight down, with additional bracing to be added after the '07 season end. John now has the patterns for any '08 Lancer roll cage, so anybody who wants one will get the best deal from Jon, as the hard part has already been done.

Robispec (http://www.robispec.com) will be delivering the top secret suspension shortly. If it is anything like the suspension he put in my Evo, we will be well equipped to take on the very competitive E2 class in the 25 Hour. Once we get the dimensions nailed down within the next month, Robi should be able to offer race-quality coil-over kits for your street Lancers.

We have four confirmed drivers for the 2007 25 Hour, but one seat is still open for experienced racers.

I've included a couple of pics of the cage to really show the quality of John's work. Check out the closeup of the weld, that's how a cage should look. You can track our progress with the Lancer at http://www.goodsportracing.com.

Let's Go Racin'!

UPDATE 9/13/07

J.G. Pasterjak, art director of Grassroots Motorsports and resident enduro expert, will join us in our quest. J.G. is a veteran of the NASA 25 Hour and has competed in numerous endurance races, picking up a number of podium finishes along the way. We are delighted to have J.G. join us and hope we can add another trophy to his collection. J.G. should be chronicling his experiences in GRM, so look for us in upcoming issues. For those of you who aren't familiar with GRM, it is a fantastic source for learning what works on autox and road race cars.
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

We are also pleased to announce the addition of Yang Tang to the driving roster. Yang won the 2006 Jim Russell Arrive & Drive Kart Race Series in his rookie year. He is currently racing in the SCCA Formula Russell championship after receiving a Jim Russell Graduate Runoff scholarship. Yang is also the 2007 Northern California TTB Champion where his daily driven 2003 Mitsubishi EVO 8 also holds every track record in class.

UPDATE 10/17/07

Goodsport Racing will be campaigning the '04 Evo that made it to the podium last year in addition to the '08 Lancer.

Tony Swan from Car and Driver magazine will be sharing driving duties in the Goodsport Racing Corp. '04 Mitsubishi Evolution. Tony is a long-time Evo fan, and is looking forward to challenging the other E0 competitors with an Evo.

Joining Tony will be Glorymar Fernandez, a T2 Evo pilot from Puerto Rico. Glory and company will be making the long trip to the West Coast for the 25 Hour race, and we look forward to having her on the team. See more of Glory at her web site: http://www.gloryracing.com.

Also joining us will be special guest Martin McKeefery. Even though Marty is only 19 years old, he has already amassed quite a racing resume, including winning the Super Mod championship this year. 800 hp winged, slicked modifieds on paved ovals...yeah, he can drive.

Update 10/29/07

FIA/Method4 has joined forces with Goodsport Racing for the 2007 25 Hours of Thunderhill. FIA/Method4 has many years of experience with performance modification and race prep for Evos, Nissans, Hondas, and many other import vehicles. Building on their experience with their successful Time Attack Evo, FIA/Method4 will be assisting the team with the rebuild of the transmission and inspection/teardown of the engine. In addition, the expert technicians at FIA/Method4 are properly installing a new KAAZ rear diff complete with proper resizing of the bearing caps and machining the shims for proper lash.

For more information about FIA/Method4 visit http://www.methodbuilt.com.

Steve Krshul, a NASA Norcal racer and Spec E30 expert, will be joining the Goodsport Racing 25 Hour team as a driver in the Evo. Steve started racing with NASA in '07 and managed to take a 2nd place in the Norcal SpecE30 season championship. We are excited to have Steve on board, and will certainly make use of the many assets he brings to the team.

Update 11/15/07

Goodsport Racing has chosen Yokohama Tire Corporation as the official tire supplier for the Goodsport 25 Hour Lancer and Evolution. The team will use the proven and successful A048 R-Compound DOT Legal race tire to attempt another strong finish in this historic race. "I've used Yokohama tires for 10 years now, ever since using the legendary A008R DOT Legal race tire on my street car and being amazed with its performance and durability. The A048 performs equally well in both sprint and enduro races, making it a great all around tire with an exceptional value ratio" says Goodsport team owner and driver David Bongiovanni.
Attached Thumbnails Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car-img_1211.jpg   Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car-img_1212.jpg   Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car-img_1213.jpg   Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car-img_1214.jpg   Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car-img_1216.jpg  

Last edited by ustcc evo; Nov 15, 2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

awsome.. congrats & godspeed on the 25h attempt...

n
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:55 PM

Nice

Bring it out to one of our Redline Time Attacks if you can too.
Get some good media coverage for all your sponsors.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice. If you can do that with a Lancer, I can't wait to see the Evo X RS built into a track car.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Very awesome. This is very exciting news for the Lancer community.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Question

lol.. nice.. I say dich the 4b11 and throw in the good ole 4g63 and it will be a beast..
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

^haha I agree, do it!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice build
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed.

Great news Looking forward to updates and results.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Redline06
lol.. nice.. I say dich the 4b11 and throw in the good ole 4g63 and it will be a beast..
+1

Looks good so far, can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
Using 1.75 x 0.95 DOM Tubing, ...

Might want to move that decimal point.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in the FEA done on the chassis itself. Did someone FARO arm the entire car or was a general model of the chassis made through measurement and then input into ANSYS (I'm assuming)? Was an analysis run with and without the cage in the model? If so, do you mind me asking the change in rigidity?

Good work, though!

Devin
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm really not at liberty to discuss the details, since the team extends well beyond just me, however, let's just say there were lots of engineers involved both within and external to Goodsport Racing, and we did not use the ANSYS finite element package.

I've used ANSYS in the past...back in command line days. Did they ever integrate a decent GUI for the 3d modeling in ANSYS?

Last edited by ustcc evo; Sep 11, 2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZzyzxM

Might want to move that decimal point.
Good catch, the cage would weigh more than the car!

Last edited by ustcc evo; Sep 10, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Subscribed.

Quick Reply: Like a Virgin - The World's First '08 Lancer Race Car