Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Another Ride Height Thread (Input Needed)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my ride height measurements from hub center to wheel arch:
Stock F=37.5cm R=35.5cm
Initial F=33.5cm R=32.5cm
Current F=35.5cm R=34.5cm

Honestly, I don't remember exactly how I came about my current height. I originally based my height on some suggestions in the STU thread. The car, just sitting, was dumped and I just had a hunch it was too low.

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
A 1"-1.5" drop up front and a .75"-1.25" drop in the rear is a good starting point.
I later raised it up, corner-weighted it, and haven't looked back until I started thinking about roll centers, static camber, and rear grip.

I glanced under the car today and the control arms slope slightly downward from the chassis to the wheel. It is actually almost equal in inclination to the control arms of an e36 M3 on stock suspension.

-Jon

Last edited by stimpy; Sep 18, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys... turns out I was wrong and reversed the relationship.

That said, I figured I'd better put something together for you and get things straightened out.

Here's a document I put together that has 8 figures to peruse. Let me know what Qs come up and certainly let me know if you think there's an error in the document.

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/library/...h-20070918.pdf

Last edited by ZzyzxM; Sep 19, 2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Steve for your informative write-up.

I will try to increase my front ride height some to test it out.

This thread brings out the geek in all of us, and it's great!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Steve,

Thank you so much taking the time to write that up. It's always nice to turn conjecture into hard facts. Much appreciated.

Jon,

You may want to measure your LCA inclination as at an ~36.5cm ride height in the front, my LCA is now parallel. Granted, my measurements on the LCA may be incorrect, but just thought I'd let you know. I did a couple quick glances as well for mine and I thought it looked parallel, but when measured, it was not.

Devin
Old Sep 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZzyzxM

That said, I figured I'd better put something together for you and get things straightened out.

Here's a document I put together that has 8 figures to peruse. Let me know what Qs come up and certainly let me know if you think there's an error in the document.

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/tech/str...h-20070918.pdf

Thanks Steve!

Looking at your data, it shows an RCH and IC movement reduction utilizing the camber plates to their full inward position at a specific LCA angle with 4 degrees of roll. However, figure 8 is very interesting with the drop of 2" which positions the LCA at a downward angle towards the center of the car. Can I speculate that moving the RC to the inside of the corner is a benefit while the significant drop in RCH is not? Can I get your opinion on the offset of one over the other?

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Solo Evo: Can you tell us the ride height (from wheel center hub to fender) after you set the LCH to be parallel to the ground? Stock ride height I believe is 15", I'm guessing the drop would be 0.5" - 0.75"

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Sep 19, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Silencer
Thanks Steve!
Can I speculate that moving the RC to the inside of the corner is a benefit while the significant drop in RCH is not? Can I get your opinion on the offset of one over the other?
To address your question, I think the following reading material is required:

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/library/...nd-reality.pdf

I'll quote one particularly relevant section:

Stability results when the FAP-CG moment arm remains constant as the vehicle rolls. The chassis “takes a set” rather than constantly seeking a new equilibrium. This can be expressed by minimizing the lateral movement of the KRC as the vehicle rolls. But this is an artifact: there are more direct ways to calculate this; namely with the change in FAP height resulting from ride. It should be one-to-one. (An easier way to visualize this is from the viewpoint of the chassis rather than the world. The FAP point should be constant as the wheels and tires move up and down.)
This introduces a new concept - the Force Application Point (FAP). You'll note the left and right FAP values in each diagram in the document I put together.

From the paragraph above, he states that we want to minimize lateral movement of the "KRC" = kinematic roll center = roll center and that change in FAP heights is a more direct way of measuring the FAP-CG moment arm, and should be minimized.

Sum up the pre and roll FAP values and take the difference. Now, compare that to RC movement. You'll notice a direct relationship between the difference of total FAP static (no roll) / during roll, and the movement of the RC ("KRC").

The following are % diff between static and roll total FAP for each scenario:

Figure 2: 2.1%
Figure 4: 17.7%
Figure 6: 1.5%
Figure 8: 33.9%

Which states:

Figure 6 > Figure 2 > Figure 4 > Figure 8

My personal observations tend to support this conclusion.

Last edited by ZzyzxM; Sep 19, 2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZzyzxM

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/tech/str...h-20070918.pdf
that's great stuff steve! thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Solo Evo: Can you tell us the ride height (from wheel center hub to fender) after you set the LCH to be parallel to the ground? Stock ride height I believe is 15", I'm guessing the drop would be 0.5" - 0.75"
The heights are in the first post of this thread. I will again check the heights this weekend and report back my findings to this thread. All of the measurements this weekend will be taken on a completely flat surface with multiple measurement instruments on the control arms and mounting points.

You are correct, though, as I found the drop to be roughly more than half an inch (14.7mm - 17.8mm to be more exact, again, I give a range because fender measurements aren't that exact).

Note: My original measurements were taken on a flat surface by my measurements, but this weekend, the surface I am using I know is flat.

Devin
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Note that I changed the location of the files, so I can better organize them. I added up a Tech section to the website so you can grab them from there:

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/tech/

... should have done that a long time ago, I'll keep adding articles there that are informative.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So a rule of thumb is max lowering should make front lower control arm parallel to the ground?

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Sep 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Not necessarily. Parallel to the ground is a good starting point.

Depending on your track width, camber, spring rates, etc. your LCA's can be sloped downward from the wheel to the chassis and still accomplish an acceptable roll center. Because some of us STU guys aren't running really stiff rates, we don't have much leeway under parallel LCAs. The stiffer your rate, the lower you can go since the amount of roll on the same turn will be less than with softer springs. Therefore, since your suspension is moving less, the roll center won't migrate as much, allowing you to run lower on the car an not have the roll center cross the plane of the ground (considering you started above the ground to begin with).

Takes alot of calculation or a 3D suspension program to really zone in on what your height needs to be for your own personal setup. Other than that, it's alot of test and tune.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Devin
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well said Solo Evo ... A lot of the open track guys who don't follow any classing are quick to point out the use of Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit to help move the LCA to point in the correct orientation after lowering the car. Those of us who follow the SCCA Solo 2 rules are limited to allowances of the class. As Devin said with stiffer springs you can go lower as your car won't roll as much ...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Well said Solo Evo ... A lot of the open track guys who don't follow any classing are quick to point out the use of Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit to help move the LCA to point in the correct orientation after lowering the car. Those of us who follow the SCCA Solo 2 rules are limited to allowances of the class. As Devin said with stiffer springs you can go lower as your car won't roll as much ...
stiffer springs won't help (been there done that) because you are not making any adjustments to the basica suspension geometry. But depending on the class rules the whiteline roll center kit does help, even at the stock suspension height.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Stiffer springs will help up to a point. It's not like you can add another 100lbs and drop another inch, there is a limit.

Also, another thing to note, per Mitchell:

"When the chassis moves to place the instant centers near the ground the kinematic roll center moves rapidly laterally. When one IC is above ground and one below ground the KRC is outside the track. Before I understood the limited role of the KRC I thought this was bad. One way to avoid it is to keep the ICs either above or below ground."

What I take from this is that it's not crucial that your RC start above the ground, the real killer for roll stiffness is the RC transitioning through the ground plane under load, which causes one IC to be above and one below ground. If both were to start below the ground plane, and stay below the ground plane (read: stiff springs), it would be ok since approaching the ground plane causes the IC's to move rapidly.

Therefore, Chris, in your case, your springs weren't stiff enough for your ride height is what I'm interpreting from above.

Perhaps I am misreading, so again, anyone, feel free to correct.

Devin

Quick Reply: Another Ride Height Thread (Input Needed)