Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Roll cage theory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll cage theory

I'm looking for a SCCA spec roll cage to be welded in the evo soon. Would like some feed back on what to ask the shops and do's/dont's. This will be a track only vehicle.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Enough shops have built Evo cages at this point that you should find a shop that has already done one, it will be cheaper and better.

A simple 1.75x.120 DOM 8 point cage will get you into any SCCA event. Unibodies are all pretty similar, so the cage builder will know where to tie into the front. The rear is open to a few interpretations. I picked up the rear subframe mounts and put in a rear strut bar. Xing both doors is strong, but I think SCCA requires nascar bars now, and World Challenge requires nascar bars and Xing, yes both!

Don't be in a hurry, it will take at least a month for them to finish the job, and its not one you want to hurry.

Some class rules don't let you seam weld to the unibody, so check your class rules and make sure your cage builder is completely familiar with your class rules.

Dipping and stripping, chrome-moly, etc. is overkill for a club car. Do remove the glass and dash, however. Getting the front bars close to the firewall always helps.

There are pics of both my cages in the Motorsports forum...
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'd recommend looking at some of the pre-bent FIA cages available from OMP, Custom Cages, or Safety Devices. Usually availabe in DOM or T45 cro-moly.

Dave