Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pikes Peak or bust!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those tires are monsters, nice build!
Old May 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks awesome!
Old May 14, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DaveK
After my first trip to spectate the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb, I knew someday I would have to build a car and get out and race. Last summer this dream came true, and needless to say I'm hooked. The car I ran last year was an old Mazda 323 GTX with ~150whp (in Denver), and by the time we left the start line, I was itching for more power.

My wife (who's in the navvie seat) and I have been planning for the 'next' car for the last few seasons, expecting that the GTX might meet an untimely demise, but that car just seems to keep kicking despite my best efforts.

Last week I purchased a salvage 2005 Evo which we will be building to run at the 2008 PPIHC. I will attempt to document many of the steps with the build and hope to be announcing some partnerships soon.

First I'm focusing on the safety side of things, so the car will be getting a T45 FIA cage and seam welding done. Everything else on the power and suspension side of things is still up in the air. I'm also not 100% sure what class I will be running, as the rules for the 2008 race won't be finalized until late November.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Here are the 'before' pictures.

Thanks for reading,

Dave

Good luck on your run. I would love to do this. I might join you next year.
Old May 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
bpi
Evolving Member

Fantastic work Dave! I bet you feel a sense of accomplishment already just looking back over all the photos from the time you started ripping those two shells apart!

Nice work painting it yourself too btw - it looks like a nice job.
Old May 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by dsycks
No, if he is a crew member than he is bound by the rules listed above.

He would have to be just some average Joe that just happened to get stuck to the front of the car.

When did they change the rules on Pikes video anyway? I know that I have ummmm seen some video out there that was done by some folks but am just not sure where I saw it. Where would that have been?

Somebody buy me a round trip ticket and I'll hide a camera in his car :]. Then it won't be his footage that gets posted. :] I don't understand it either, it is BS. Are they afraid you will recoupe some of your cash back instead of them getting it? Don't answer that btw.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bpi
Fantastic work Dave! I bet you feel a sense of accomplishment already just looking back over all the photos from the time you started ripping those two shells apart!

Nice work painting it yourself too btw - it looks like a nice job.
It was a bit of an exhausting few days trying to get everything finished up, but it was great to actually get some seat time in the new car.

I can't take credit for the paint job...I never picked up the paint gun, a buddy of mine just told me what needed sanding/prep work and I got after it.

Dave
Old May 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ridge Racer
Somebody buy me a round trip ticket and I'll hide a camera in his car :]. Then it won't be his footage that gets posted. :] I don't understand it either, it is BS. Are they afraid you will recoupe some of your cash back instead of them getting it? Don't answer that btw.
The rumor I heard was that some team (I have no idea who it was) sold their in-car to Sony for use in the PPIHC stages in one of the new video games. Seems a bit weird to me, as I'd expect that they'd rather get slow moving shots to get better detail...but IMO, the video game has a terrible representation of the scenery once you get above Glen Cove. The actual road portion is fairly good, but there are a few spots that seem off to me.

Dave
Old May 15, 2008, 07:36 AM

The rumor I heard was that some team (I have no idea who it was) sold their in-car to Sony for use in the PPIHC stages in one of the new video games. Seems a bit weird to me, as I'd expect that they'd rather get slow moving shots to get better detail...but IMO, the video game has a terrible representation of the scenery once you get above Glen Cove. The actual road portion is fairly good, but there are a few spots that seem off to me.

Dave

Who is to say that it wasn't a team moving slowly that had footage?

I understand the rule, it doesn't address the problem in a productive way, just like Rally-America's media rules....
Old May 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Had some boxes dropped off at the house today!
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-51-boxes.jpg  
Old May 15, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Enough with the outside, I'm sure you guys want to see what was inside!

I'm going to try and get these installed over the weekend, and I'll try to snap some additional pics once I get them on the car. I have to say the craftsmanship on these is outstanding and they look like they were designed to take a hell of a beating.

These are the brand spanking new Ohlins TTX/TPX gravel spec dampers. Only 3 sets in North America right now. Big thanks to AMS for helping me track these down these beauties!
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-52-front.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-53-front.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-54-front.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-55-rear.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-56-rear.jpg  

Last edited by DaveK; May 16, 2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention again what these are.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Enough with the outside, I'm sure you guys want to see what was inside!

I'll try to snap some additional pics once I get them on the car. I have to say the craftsmanship on these is outstanding and they look like they were designed to take a hell of a beating.
Do WANT!!!
Old May 16, 2008, 10:06 AM

Shots of the car before its first runs. The AMS logos showed up in the mail today, so I hope to clean & wax the car this weekend and get those installed. Then I might hit up you guys for some suggestions on the graphics for the rest of the car.

Nice to see #9 again. #7 is eager for a rematch!

Nice mirrors, BTW.

Last edited by RX-RS; May 16, 2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Here are a few pics I snapped of the AMS gravel brake solution. I used B compound pads on the car the first race and I may experiment with something different in the future, but they did the job just fine and kept me out of the ditches/ravines.
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-57-brakes.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-58-brakes.jpg  
Old May 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

I thought I'd throw in a few pics of some of the little details that didn't make it into this thread due to the last minute thrash before Temple Canyon.

Here are shots of the skid plate from a few different angles. We used 3/16" T6 Aluminum. Due to time constraints we weren't able to get a bend put into the skid plate so I had to use some washers to space out the bottom of the plate so it wouldn't hit the downpipe. If it weren't for the stock suspension, I think the skid plate would've survived the event with no dents at all. Hopefully I can straighten it out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-59-skid-plate.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-60-skid-plate.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-61-skid-plate.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-62-skid-plate.jpg  
Old May 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Pictures of parts in boxes are usually boring, but I figured since you won't really be able to see these parts once they're installed, they deserved a post.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I'll do it again. A huge "Thank You" goes to Eric & Tim at AMS for sourcing/designing all the parts quickly even though some of these items are rather obsure (Ohlins TTX/TPX rally suspension & Cusco top mounts, 1.5F & 2R Cusco diffs, and the rally brake kit). You guys ROCK!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-63-ams-lightweight-parts.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-64-exedy-twin-disc.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-65-traction-box.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak or bust!