Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pikes Peak or bust!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texrex2002
do you know what happened to the white evo? driver injured?

scary to see them so deformed...
Nope, I picked it up at an auction, not from the previous driver. Based on what I saw, I don't see any reason that the driver wouldn't have survived, though I'm sure he went for quite a ride. The roof was crushed in a few inches, but stopped at about the point where it touched the top of the head-rest. The driver's side front fender had been ground thru in a few spots, indicating it did some sliding on pavement for a bit.

Seeing how easily it deformed makes me want a well designed cage!

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Why does that 05 have a salvage title? It looks like it's in great shape!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Czubaka
Why does that 05 have a salvage title? It looks like it's in great shape!
It was partially stripped and was missing hood, trunk, both bumpers, side skirts, and front fenders. They were in the process of trying to take the engine, so they had cut the wiring harness (battery cables & bundle going to the valve cover) and disconnected the motor mounts. They also stole the stereo, sub, front seats, and slashed up the rear seats, and keyed one of the doors. After initial teardown, the TC appears to be shot, but not sure if that was caused by the towing company or the previous owner. No word on the transmission yet, but I'm hoping to get it built up anyway.

The frame appears to be straight, but unfortunately they set the car down rather quickly on some cinderblocks and munched up the underside a bit near some brake/fuel lines. Not a huge problem as if I'm doing this build properly, fuel and brake lines will end up being re-routed thru the car.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Great to see! PPIHC is on my to-do list in the next few years with my own Evo, so I'll be watching your build closely.

So, are you the Mazda 323 shown in the most Grassroots Motorsports coverage of the event?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by peter*g
Great to see! PPIHC is on my to-do list in the next few years with my own Evo, so I'll be watching your build closely.

So, are you the Mazda 323 shown in the most Grassroots Motorsports coverage of the event?
Yep, that was us! There was some more time left in the car, but we blew our 5th gear a few weeks before the event and didn't have time to get a new dog-ring fabricated, so we were dealing with a top speed of ~75mph (super short ratio gearbox). If I had to do it again under the same conditions as we saw on race day, I think I would've used a good M/S tire to increase grip levels on the dirt. Live and learn!

Peter - what is your car built for? track day/rally/something else?

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Peter - what is your car built for? track day/rally/something else?
Dave
The Targa Newfoundland tarmac rally (see my sig). It also sees the occasional time trial, but is really a rally car at this point. Pikes Peak is on my to-do list, and we'll also probably ship the car out to do the Targa Tasmania at some point.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

The Targa Newfoundland tarmac rally (see my sig). It also sees the occasional time trial, but is really a rally car at this point. Pikes Peak is on my to-do list, and we'll also probably ship the car out to do the Targa Tasmania at some point.
Very cool! Targa Newfoundland is on my to-do list...but its such a long tow!

I'm still trying to decide exactly which way to go with the build (time attack, rally, drift), but I figure I can't go wrong starting out with the latest spec FIA cage.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

That's what transporters are for.

You'll probably discover what I discovered -- if you put a proper cage that will protect you from flipping down a hillside, you'll be too heavy for time attack.

Originally Posted by DaveK
Very cool! Targa Newfoundland is on my to-do list...but its such a long tow!

I'm still trying to decide exactly which way to go with the build (time attack, rally, drift), but I figure I can't go wrong starting out with the latest spec FIA cage.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

You'll probably discover what I discovered -- if you put a proper cage that will protect you from flipping down a hillside, you'll be too heavy for time attack.
Are people using super-minimalistic cages for track use? I'd think with the high speeds seen out at road race circuits, those folks would also want to have some pretty good protection. From what I've heard, the T45 cages are pretty light, though I've yet to hear what the weight is.

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:34 AM

hi, good luck with the rally the build
i am also building a evo 8 just finished rollcage and just started seat mounts
i will get some pics up soon. will you be using a rs rear diff
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nice!!!!!

I saw you posted about wanting to delete the abs.

I actually have a 2006 IX rs engine wiring harness because I was going to do the same thing as you.

What model is the crashed IX you have? I assume it's not an rs and has abs. Also is it a 5spd or 6spd?

Would you be willing to do an even trade my IX rs complete engine harness for your IX complete engine harness?

I am down as long as yours isn't cut or any of the wires damaged and has abs.

Then you would be pretty much good to go.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

RIP 2006 Evo...in the last pic, the Evo is that thin white line on the top row in the crusher.

The 05 is now back in my garage and I'm attempting to sort out exactly what I need to keep and what I can sell. Next step will be to start stripping down the car and getting it ready for seam welding and cage install.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-2006-evo9.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-2006-evo10.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-2006-evo11.jpg  
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

^ thats colorado auto and salvag off santa-fe isnt it? lol. Lookin good, I look forward to watching you run up PPIHC next year, Ill be one of the drunk guys at devils playground, haha
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
^ thats colorado auto and salvag off santa-fe isnt it? lol. Lookin good, I look forward to watching you run up PPIHC next year, Ill be one of the drunk guys at devils playground, haha
Its a place up in Brighton. They paid $130/ton, the folks at Colorado Auto Salvage only paid $90.

I had a few friends who hiked up to Bottomless Pit this past summer...it was funny b/c I was wondering where they were, then all of a sudden I see two guys waving their hands up and down with noboy else around.

Last time I spectated, I went to the 11 mile/Blue Sky turns...great spot as its still dirt, but you don't get the opportunity to see 50 turns like you do from Devils.

Dave
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Not a ton of progress to report lately. I've been trying to organize/sell the parts that are coming off the two cars, and I really need to make some room in the garage by selling this:

http://www.rallyclassified.com/class...p/listing/1102

Here's a pic of the interior of the 2005 back in my garage, and a shot of a Group N car in action to keep me motivated!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Pikes Peak or bust!-05-console-passenger-door.jpg   Pikes Peak or bust!-groupn-evo2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak or bust!