Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pikes Peak or bust!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peter*g
I guess I didn't really follow this. I use more of a road racing style cage, with a main hoop/horizontal crossbar/diagonal bar behind the driver/co-driver, and the harnesses mount to the crossbar. In the Evo, our main hoop is welded into a strengthened corner of the tub at the floor in front of the rear seat, with bars running forward gusseted into the B-pillars and the bars running backward attached to a strengthened rear shock tower.

That said, we design the cage to use a lot of the factory crush zones to absorb energy (such as the factory doors and door bars) and so I don't know how that changes the overall safety design relative to what you guys are running. I've always wondered why the WRC cars run their harnesses so far back, and it sounds like it's a plan to allow more movement to help dissipate energy on impact.
I think once I post pics this will be a little more clear, but here goes: The current crop of FIA cages doesn't have a bar that goes right behind the seats, and so the harnesses have to attach to the cage all the way back near the rear strut towers. Its this extra 3-4 feet of harness length that can cause issues with the HANS. Sounds to me like your cage has the proper bar to use a HANS with no issues...seems weird to me that the FIA stuff doesn't have the harness bars (HANS bar) standard by now.

Dave
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
I think once I post pics this will be a little more clear, but here goes: The current crop of FIA cages doesn't have a bar that goes right behind the seats, and so the harnesses have to attach to the cage all the way back near the rear strut towers. Its this extra 3-4 feet of harness length that can cause issues with the HANS. Sounds to me like your cage has the proper bar to use a HANS with no issues...seems weird to me that the FIA stuff doesn't have the harness bars (HANS bar) standard by now.
This all make sense, and I can visualize it (sounds like the cage is similar to the bars used in WRC), I'm just really unsure why they do it this way. I would love to see a real technical analysis of the FIA cage design vs. the SCCA-style cage design. My cage is loosely-based on the rule book for SPEED World Challenge, which tends to have the most rigorous sedan safety specs in the states. I'd like to know the trade-offs between those specs and a stage rally design.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave,

So what are you going to do with the Braking System? Specifically the ABS distribution block. This is a CROSS pressure braking system, yes?

I ask because I'm facing that prospect myself... have some ideas, but am looking for comparisons/confirmations.

RallyDSM
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

So are you guys going to be _removing_ your ABS, because I'm looking at going the other way (adding ABS to an RS). As far as I can tell, the differences are:

- hard lines
- ABS pump
- ABS controller

Is that accurate?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like it... but what is there if NOT those things you listed (on the RS).

And...

Would you be interested in acquiring these bits? I would be interested in some barter action

RallyDSM
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

car and setup look nice!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I basically need everything. I bought an ABS pump, but don't mind hanging onto it as a spare. Ideally you were local and we could work out having the cars side-by-side to sort through it all.

In the absence of that, I would buy it all from you (hardlines, pump, brain, etc.) and then could send you the parts that come off of my car as part of the deal (hard lines, distribution block, etc.).

My car is at WORKS right now getting worked on in preparation for our first test on the 21st (new clutch, new ECU tune, some suspension tweaks, etc.), but when it gets back I'm happy to send you pics of how the brake lines are run from the master cylinder to the calipers so that you can see the differences. I would appreciate the same if the parts are still on your car.

Originally Posted by RallyDSM
Sounds like it... but what is there if NOT those things you listed (on the RS).

And...

Would you be interested in acquiring these bits? I would be interested in some barter action

RallyDSM
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

I pulled the Distribution block/pump assembly already but the hard lines are still in place. I can send you the pics if you like. Email?

RallyDSM
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

peter <at> guagenti <dot> com

Did you locate a brain for the ABS in your tear down?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Haven't got that far yet... just getting through the engine bay currently. Should be into the rest of the braking system this week and I'll have it set aside then.

Thanks for the addy... I'll have some pics along the way shortly

RallyDSM
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Damn...I'm out of town for two days and I miss out on the RS brake parts swap...on my own thread. So, if there's anyone else with an RS who's looking to add ABS, I'm also planning on removing all the ABS stuff, and even have spares, so I could ship parts right away.

LMK,

Dave
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Damn...I'm out of town for two days and I miss out on the RS brake parts swap...on my own thread. So, if there's anyone else with an RS who's looking to add ABS, I'm also planning on removing all the ABS stuff, and even have spares, so I could ship parts right away.
Dave -- first person to figure out what parts are different between the GSR and RS gets my cash and old parts. Start taking a closer look at that car of your and lets figure it out. ;-)

I know some folks who have parted out other RS's, so once we can resolve what is different between the two, I'm sure I can find the RS parts you need.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

No Worry mate... it's your thread. If you want the RS Stuff, go for it

Whatever works.

In researching there seems to be quite alot that goes with the ABS system to remove from the harnesses, chassis, engine compartment and the wheel hubs.

So it'll take a bit to get it all sorted.

I'm unpacking the entire wiring harness and stripping out all the wiring that won't be needed in the car, so eventually I will have the entire ABS system, wiring, et all separated... but will that be tomorrow? No chance

What I can tell you is that the distribution block on the passenger side of the firewall on my car houses BOTH the distribution AND agitator for the ABS system. I would be curious of the RS node doesn't have the large, round agitator unit and is just a simple BLOCK of ported aluminum.

RallyDSM
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

The RS comes with wheel speed sensors (they're also used by the ACD) and I believe there is only one wiring harness (no non-ABS harness per se). The RS has a simple distribution block for the brake fluid, which I can take a picture of and post. I'm not certain it's mounted in the same place as the ABS pump.

Originally Posted by RallyDSM
No Worry mate... it's your thread. If you want the RS Stuff, go for it

Whatever works.

In researching there seems to be quite alot that goes with the ABS system to remove from the harnesses, chassis, engine compartment and the wheel hubs.

So it'll take a bit to get it all sorted.

I'm unpacking the entire wiring harness and stripping out all the wiring that won't be needed in the car, so eventually I will have the entire ABS system, wiring, et all separated... but will that be tomorrow? No chance

What I can tell you is that the distribution block on the passenger side of the firewall on my car houses BOTH the distribution AND agitator for the ABS system. I would be curious of the RS node doesn't have the large, round agitator unit and is just a simple BLOCK of ported aluminum.

RallyDSM
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

I'm curious if you can also take a quick peak and see where the lines come in and out of the block...

If it's like the ABS block (minus the pump) then there should be two hard lines coming into the block from the Brake Master in the front part of the block with four hard lines coming out of the block just behind them.

The system on the ABS is a cross over type where the drivers two out lines go to the passenger front and the driver rear. The passenger two out lines go to the opposite.

IF that all routes the same, then the only real difference is the pump. I'm guessing it is using the Wheel Speed Sensors to control the ABS as well as the ACD.

The IX I'm parting out has the ACD as well... so I'll be able to compare the differences between the VIII and the IX side by side.

So far though, they look the same to me.

If you could post the pic of the Block, that would be of great assistance.

RallyDSM

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak or bust!